Networked 3.12 printer - Netware

This is a discussion on Networked 3.12 printer - Netware ; We have an HP1320N LaserJet printer on our NetWare 3.12, 10/100MB network with Windows98 workstations. We can redirect Windows printouts to the printer using the printer setup software and TCP/IP but cannot redirect output from our DOS-based application to the ...

  1. Networked 3.12 printer

    We have an HP1320N LaserJet printer on our NetWare 3.12, 10/100MB network
    with Windows98 workstations. We can redirect Windows printouts to the
    printer using the printer setup software and TCP/IP but cannot redirect
    output from our DOS-based application to the HP1320N. How do we setup the
    printer in PCONSOLE to use the jetdirect on the printer and capture the port
    at the workstations? PCONSOLE lists several types of ports, LPT1,
    Remote/LPT1, Defined Elsewhere, etc. Is it possible to use one of these
    definitions to send output from the queue on the server to the printer?
    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: Networked 3.12 printer

    "Aidan" wrote in

    > We have an HP1320N LaserJet printer on our NetWare 3.12, 10/100MB
    > network with Windows98 workstations. We can redirect Windows printouts
    > to the printer using the printer setup software and TCP/IP but cannot
    > redirect output from our DOS-based application to the HP1320N. How do
    > we setup the printer in PCONSOLE to use the jetdirect on the printer
    > and capture the port at the workstations? PCONSOLE lists several types
    > of ports, LPT1, Remote/LPT1, Defined Elsewhere, etc. Is it possible to
    > use one of these definitions to send output from the queue on the
    > server to the printer? Thanks for your help.

    It's the other way around: You set up the Jetdirect to pull jobs from the
    print queue. Enter the Jetdirect setup; I dont think you'll have a hard
    time figuring it out,

    HTH,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: Networked 3.12 printer

    On 23 Mar 2005 20:41:16 GMT, Erik Klausen wrote:

    >"Aidan" wrote in
    >
    >> We have an HP1320N LaserJet printer on our NetWare 3.12, 10/100MB
    >> network with Windows98 workstations. We can redirect Windows printouts
    >> to the printer using the printer setup software and TCP/IP but cannot
    >> redirect output from our DOS-based application to the HP1320N. How do
    >> we setup the printer in PCONSOLE to use the jetdirect on the printer
    >> and capture the port at the workstations? PCONSOLE lists several types
    >> of ports, LPT1, Remote/LPT1, Defined Elsewhere, etc. Is it possible to
    >> use one of these definitions to send output from the queue on the
    >> server to the printer? Thanks for your help.

    >It's the other way around: You set up the Jetdirect to pull jobs from the
    >print queue. Enter the Jetdirect setup; I dont think you'll have a hard
    >time figuring it out,

    He may mean he doesn't know how to get the dos job into the print
    queue.

    We always used the capture command eg

    capture.exe /l=2 /q=laser_q /nb /nff - capture lp2 to laser_q
    or in the login script

    #capture.exe /l=2 /q=laser_q /nb /nff

    or
    if member of "group"