UPS crash caused corrupt NLM -- help? - Netware

This is a discussion on UPS crash caused corrupt NLM -- help? - Netware ; The UPS on the server apparently lost it's battery, and went down in a hurry. In doing so, it broke the boot mirror and corrupted several necessary files in Sys:\system. (running NW 5.1) I have a second server with 5.1 ...

  1. UPS crash caused corrupt NLM -- help?

    The UPS on the server apparently lost it's battery, and went down in a
    hurry. In doing so, it broke the boot mirror and corrupted several
    necessary files in Sys:\system. (running NW 5.1)

    I have a second server with 5.1 as well, so I copied the first
    questionable nlm to a floppy.....problem is, I don't know how to copy
    it into sys:\system to replace the one that's corrupted if I can't see
    both the a: drive and sys:\system. It's not loading tcpip and other
    network protocols, so it can't be done via Windows.

    The first one that went bad is ncpnlm32.nlm -- once I get that loaded,
    I can replace the others one by one.

    No, I don't have a tape on this yet -- this is my home learning box,
    and haven't gotten that far.

    I guess my question is how do I access the a: drive from a console
    prompt? I could burn a copy of the other server's sys:\system
    directory and pick the replacement files from there, I suppose, using
    netbasic's shell... maybe. I'm kinda new to this. If I didn't have
    an NSS volume with stuff on it, I'd blow it away and reinstall.
    That's not an option at this point.

    Thanks.

    Paul

  2. Re: UPS crash caused corrupt NLM -- help?

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:38:14 GMT, Paul Braun wrote:
    > I have a second server with 5.1 as well, so I copied the first
    > questionable nlm to a floppy.....problem is, I don't know how to copy
    > it into sys:\system to replace the one that's corrupted if I can't see
    > both the a: drive and sys:\system.

    1) Copy it to the DOS partition, and load it from there.

    2) Get a copy of toolbox.nlm from support.novell.com. Load toolbox with
    the -nl switch, then use it to copy a:\ncpnlm32.nlm sys:system.

    3) Google search for other tools like toolbox. There are several.

    > I guess my question is how do I access the a: drive from a console
    > prompt? I could burn a copy of the other server's sys:\system
    > directory and pick the replacement files from there, I suppose, using
    > netbasic's shell...

    I've heard of doing it with netbasic shell, but haven't tried it.

    --
    | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | "Alcohol: The more you drink, the less you think!" - Dinosaur TV ad |