Resizing volumes / partitions in NW3.12 - and idiot's guide? - Netware

This is a discussion on Resizing volumes / partitions in NW3.12 - and idiot's guide? - Netware ; Hi All. I'm trying to increase the size of a volume on a NW3.12 server. I increased the partition size (using fdisk in Knoppix). This morning, I managed to get the volume up to the 8GB limit of the drivers ...

  1. Resizing volumes / partitions in NW3.12 - and idiot's guide?

    Hi All.

    I'm trying to increase the size of a volume on a NW3.12 server.

    I increased the partition size (using fdisk in Knoppix). This morning, I
    managed to get the volume up to the 8GB limit of the drivers I had
    installed[1].

    I got some new drivers which support UDMA very nicely - but now I can't
    increase the volume size at all (it's still at 4GB, and install.nlm
    tells me there's no room for any more volume segments).

    I'm sure I've done something incredibly stupid. Can anyone point me at a
    FAQ/Howto?

    Thanks!

    Vic.

    [1] Now I can't even do that, so there's something I did which I've
    failed to write down ;-(

  2. Re: Resizing volumes / partitions in NW3.12 - and idiot's guide?

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:48:45 +0000 (UTC), Vic wrote:
    > I'm trying to increase the size of a volume on a NW3.12 server.

    A volume is composed of one or more volume segments. Volume segments
    are allocated from NetWare partitions. Each physical disk can have
    one NetWare partition on it.

    So, to make a volume, you first make a NetWare partition on your
    disk(s). Then you make a volume by allocating the first segment
    to it. The segment can be as big as the partition, or some smaller
    slice of it. If I recally correctly, NetWare 3.x allows up to eight
    volume segments per partition. Then, you can add more volume segments
    to a volume. These segments can be on the same disk, or on a different
    disk.

    > I increased the partition size (using fdisk in Knoppix).

    I'm not familiar with this, but I hope that Knoppix understands the
    NetWare partition correctly, or you may be restoring your data from
    tape.

    > This morning, I
    > managed to get the volume up to the 8GB limit of the drivers I had
    > installed[1].

    And how did you do this?

    > I got some new drivers which support UDMA very nicely - but now I can't
    > increase the volume size at all (it's still at 4GB, and install.nlm
    > tells me there's no room for any more volume segments).

    That usually means that you have allocated all segments available in
    the partition. In your case, depending on what this Knoppix did, it
    could also mean that your partition table is corrupt, or that your
    volume allocations within the NetWare partition are corrupt.

    --
    | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Windows? Been there, done that, using OS/2 because of it. |

  3. Re: Resizing volumes / partitions in NW3.12 - and idiot's guide?

    "David Gersic" wrote in message

    > If I recally correctly, NetWare 3.x allows up to eight
    > volume segments per partition.

    That's what I've read.

    > > I increased the partition size (using fdisk in Knoppix).

    > I'm not familiar with this, but I hope that Knoppix understands the
    > NetWare partition correctly, or you may be restoring your data from
    > tape.

    It's fine - I spent most of the day moving and copying partitions
    around. You need to set the partition type to 0x65 manually, but that's
    not exactly rocket science...

    > > This morning, I
    > > managed to get the volume up to the 8GB limit of the drivers I had
    > > installed[1].

    > And how did you do this?

    Heh ;-)

    If only I knew accurately ;-)

    What I *thought* I did was to create a new Netware partition at the end
    of the disk & copy the existing partition to it. Then I deleted the
    original partition & created a new partition in its place, but biggwr.
    Then I copied the data back down from the partition at the top.

    The first time round, I left this extra partition in place, expecting
    Netware to ignore it completely (it did, until I put the new IDE drivers
    in). I added a new volume segment with install.nlm, ran vrepair on the
    volume just in case, and the partition was up to full size - 8GB.

    Then I tried adding some new IDE drivers (I got them from
    http://www.huweb.hu/maques/nwudma.htm ). This abended the server as soon
    as I tried to mount a partition - it complained of missing partition
    objects in the partition mapping table. I (eventually) worked out this
    was the "extra" Netware partition I'd left at the end of the disk -
    deleted that and the server will boot. But install.nlm now complains
    that there's no free space in which to add a volume segment, even though
    the monitor page (monitor.nlm, perhaps?) reports plenty of space in the
    partition.

    And that's about as far as I got...

    > That usually means that you have allocated all segments available in
    > the partition.

    Indeed. What I don't understand is why I can't create any new segments
    (and that might be because I'm trying to do it wrong - I might just have
    been lucky first time).

    > In your case, depending on what this Knoppix did, it
    > could also mean that your partition table is corrupt, or that your
    > volume allocations within the NetWare partition are corrupt.

    I'm pretty confident about Knoppix - I do quite a bit of Linux these
    days, and I've used its disk management tools in a number of
    applications - it's never let me down yet. I've used those same tools to
    rebuild the server exactly as it was before I started messing with it -
    that works fine.

    This is undoubtedly just a complete lack of knowledge on my part;
    unfortunately, I can't seem to find any "monkey see monkey do"
    instructions on how to achieve what I'm trying to do - Novell's site
    jsut seems to refer me to the paper documentation, which the previous
    maintainer of this machine seems to have put in a very safe place
    somewhere... ;-(

    Ho hum.

    Vic.

  4. Re: Resizing volumes / partitions in NW3.12 - and idiot's guide?

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:52:58 +0000 (UTC), Vic wrote:
    > "David Gersic" wrote in message
    >
    >> If I recally correctly, NetWare 3.x allows up to eight
    >> volume segments per partition.

    > That's what I've read.

    So, if you look in INSTALL.NLM right now, how many volume segments to you
    have in the partition? You may (I can't recall) have to look at each
    volume you have defined to see what the segments are for that volume,
    then add them up to see how many are in use.

    > What I *thought* I did was to create a new Netware partition at the end
    > of the disk & copy the existing partition to it. Then I deleted the
    > original partition & created a new partition in its place, but biggwr.

    This is the part that has me most curious. Changing the size of the
    partition may or may not work, depending on how Knoppix understands the
    partition structure, and depending on how NetWare is treating the file
    system. For old versions like this, I don't think it was ever fully
    documented how the file system was laid out, and you may not be able to
    edit the parition size like you're trying to.

    > The first time round, I left this extra partition in place, expecting
    > Netware to ignore it completely (it did, until I put the new IDE drivers
    > in). I added a new volume segment with install.nlm, ran vrepair on the
    > volume just in case, and the partition was up to full size - 8GB.

    Only one NetWare partition per disk is permitted. You added volume
    segments, so you *may* have run in to the 8 segment limit here now.

    > deleted that and the server will boot. But install.nlm now complains
    > that there's no free space in which to add a volume segment, even though
    > the monitor page (monitor.nlm, perhaps?) reports plenty of space in the
    > partition.

    Free space is one thing. Free volume segments is another. I suspect, but
    can't remember (NetWare 3.x was 10 years ago) or prove that the message
    you're getting is actually a lack of volume segments.

    >> That usually means that you have allocated all segments available in
    >> the partition.

    > Indeed. What I don't understand is why I can't create any new segments
    > (and that might be because I'm trying to do it wrong - I might just have
    > been lucky first time).

    If there are 8 segments, not 8 volumes, but 8 segments, then it doesn't
    matter if you have free disk space or not.

    > This is undoubtedly just a complete lack of knowledge on my part;
    > unfortunately, I can't seem to find any "monkey see monkey do"
    > instructions on how to achieve what I'm trying to do - Novell's site
    > jsut seems to refer me to the paper documentation, which the previous
    > maintainer of this machine seems to have put in a very safe place
    > somewhere... ;-(

    I have or had a NW3.12 manual set at one point. I don't know if I still do.
    I may even have an electronic copy. Email me and I'll dig around and see if
    I can find it for you.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Disco is to music what Etch-A-Scetch is to art. |