What should I replace NW3.12 with? - Netware

This is a discussion on What should I replace NW3.12 with? - Netware ; Should I move to Netware v6.5 (latest I think) or Novell Linux? Is Netware being phased out? I have 35 users on 5 year old hardware and 11 year? old NOS. I am looking for reliability followed closely with performace. ...

  1. What should I replace NW3.12 with?

    Should I move to Netware v6.5 (latest I think) or Novell Linux? Is Netware being
    phased out?

    I have 35 users on 5 year old hardware and 11 year? old NOS. I am looking for
    reliability followed closely with performace. Looking forward to new features
    and hopefully a better way of doing things. The server is currently used for
    file and print.

    Thanks for any input.

    MH

  2. Re: What should I replace NW3.12 with?

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:09:44 -0500, MPH wrote:
    > Should I move to Netware v6.5 (latest I think) or Novell Linux? Is Netware being
    > phased out?

    Neither will be a simple upgrade, but with only 35 users it probably
    won't be a big deal either. I'd go with NetWare 6.5 if I were you, as
    it will be the closest to what you're used to. The Linux stuff looks
    interesting, but the really interesting parts are still to come. I'd
    let somebody else get the bugs ironed out first.

    The official answer from Novell is that no, NetWare is not being
    phased out. They are working on releasing "Open Enterprise Server", which
    is supposed to offer all of their usual services running on top of
    either a NetWare or a Linux kernel, which will be transparent to the
    end user (the system admin will have to know, of course).

    > I have 35 users on 5 year old hardware and 11 year? old NOS.

    3.12 isn't quite 11, I don't think. Maybe it is. I'm getting old, I
    guess. You have to love the ROI calculation on that server, though.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | MEN ver. 1.0 .... bugs found .... rewrite.... WOMEN ver. 1.1(beta) |

  3. Re: What should I replace NW3.12 with?

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:48:38 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:09:44 -0500, MPH wrote:
    >> Should I move to Netware v6.5 (latest I think) or Novell Linux? Is Netware being
    >> phased out?

    >Neither will be a simple upgrade, but with only 35 users it probably
    >won't be a big deal either. I'd go with NetWare 6.5 if I were you, as
    >it will be the closest to what you're used to. The Linux stuff looks
    >interesting, but the really interesting parts are still to come. I'd
    >let somebody else get the bugs ironed out first.
    >
    >The official answer from Novell is that no, NetWare is not being
    >phased out. They are working on releasing "Open Enterprise Server", which
    >is supposed to offer all of their usual services running on top of
    >either a NetWare or a Linux kernel, which will be transparent to the
    >end user (the system admin will have to know, of course).
    >
    >> I have 35 users on 5 year old hardware and 11 year? old NOS.

    >3.12 isn't quite 11, I don't think. Maybe it is. I'm getting old, I
    >guess. You have to love the ROI calculation on that server, though.

    Thanks for the reply David, I am going with Netware v6.5.
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread