NetWare v2.2 and large drives - Netware

This is a discussion on NetWare v2.2 and large drives - Netware ; I am brand new to using NetWare, and for my first experience I am trying to install NetWare v2.2 on a newer machine with a 40G hard drive. As far as I have found, NW 2.2 added support for up ...

  1. NetWare v2.2 and large drives

    I am brand new to using NetWare, and for my first experience I am trying to
    install NetWare v2.2 on a newer machine with a 40G hard drive. As far as I
    have found, NW 2.2 added support for up to 2G drives, but is there any sort
    of patch/upgrade that is available that will allow me to install on a larger
    drive?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    -------------------
    Jim Beaubien
    j.beaubien@pyramidsemiconductor.com

  2. Re: NetWare v2.2 and large drives

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:27:24 GMT, Jim Beaubien wrote:
    > I am brand new to using NetWare, and for my first experience I am trying to
    > install NetWare v2.2 on a newer machine with a 40G hard drive.

    NetWare 2.2? You're joking, right? That's old enough that the 80286
    processor was still being installed in "server class" machines.

    > have found, NW 2.2 added support for up to 2G drives, but is there any sort
    > of patch/upgrade that is available that will allow me to install on a larger
    > drive?

    Nope. Back then, 2G was _huge_. There was no way you'd ever see a single
    physical disk bigger than that.

    Do yourself a huge favour. Put it back in whatever file cabinet you found
    it in. Download the NetWare 6.5 demo and have a look at a real, modern,
    server operating system if you want to get some NetWare experience.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly. -- Mae West |

  3. Re: NetWare v2.2 and large drives

    I don't know about NW 2.2. Was that operating system even 32 bit?
    Don't laugh Netware gurus out there, but we still use NW 3.12. We have
    some 200 GB IDE hard drives in our system. Unfortunately the IDEHD.CDM
    driver only will allow us to use 128GB of the drive (limitation of the
    driver even though we are using a Promise Ultra133TX card). I don't
    know what other hardware you have in your system (motherboard, memory,
    etc).

    You might try a newer HAM driver for Netware 2.2 (does Netware 2 even
    support that architecture?)

    Mike McWhinney

    David Gersic wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:27:24 GMT, Jim Beaubien wrote:
    >> I am brand new to using NetWare, and for my first experience I am trying to
    >> install NetWare v2.2 on a newer machine with a 40G hard drive.

    >NetWare 2.2? You're joking, right? That's old enough that the 80286
    >processor was still being installed in "server class" machines.
    >
    >> have found, NW 2.2 added support for up to 2G drives, but is there any sort
    >> of patch/upgrade that is available that will allow me to install on a larger
    >> drive?

    >Nope. Back then, 2G was _huge_. There was no way you'd ever see a single
    >physical disk bigger than that.
    >
    >Do yourself a huge favour. Put it back in whatever file cabinet you found
    >it in. Download the NetWare 6.5 demo and have a look at a real, modern,
    >server operating system if you want to get some NetWare experience.

  4. Re: NetWare v2.2 and large drives

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 04:52:07 GMT, Mike McWhinney wrote:
    > I don't know about NW 2.2. Was that operating system even 32 bit?

    It's been way too long, and I really can't be bothered to drag out
    the manuals to look it up. From what I recall, it's 16-bit protected
    mode, using the flat memory addressing mode feature of the '286 chip.
    Supported up to 16M of RAM, just like other 2.x versions.

    > Don't laugh Netware gurus out there, but we still use NW 3.12.

    Hey, if it works, there's nothing wrong with it.

    > You might try a newer HAM driver for Netware 2.2 (does Netware 2 even
    > support that architecture?)

    Nope. NetWare 2.x came on floppies as object code, with an installation
    and configuration program that then ran the linker to put the needed
    object modules together into a single binary that could be installed to
    the disk, complete with a "cold boot loader" to start from. To change
    the hardware, you went through the installation again, and linked the
    new correct modules for your new hardware.

    I probably shouldn't even try, but I wonder if I could get a 2.x server
    running under VMWare...

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | And the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls ... |

  5. Re: NetWare v2.2 and large drives

    Mike McWhinney wrote:
    > I don't know about NW 2.2. Was that operating system even 32 bit?

    No. It's not.

    > Don't laugh Netware gurus out there, but we still use NW 3.12. We have
    > some 200 GB IDE hard drives in our system. Unfortunately the IDEHD.CDM
    > driver only will allow us to use 128GB of the drive (limitation of the
    > driver even though we are using a Promise Ultra133TX card). I don't
    > know what other hardware you have in your system (motherboard, memory,
    > etc).
    >
    > You might try a newer HAM driver for Netware 2.2 (does Netware 2 even
    > support that architecture?)

    No. HAM drivers only work on the 32 bit netware OS'es. (and they are new
    - invented in the 90's. Netware has been around since early-mid 80's)
    The 16 bit vesrsions are liked up using the GENOS utility to create the
    os file. No dynamically loadable drivers.

  6. Re: How about NetWare v3.12 and a 20Gb drive?

    I'm also a newbie and have installed two 20Gb drive in Netware 3.12 and
    duplexed them but I had an error a few months ago when the partion had 8Gb
    of data on it. I was able to get the server running again by removing one of
    the drives and deleting some files from the remaining drive.
    The hardware is Pentium 3 with 128Mb of RAM. The drives are 20Gb IDE.

    Is there anything I can download to allow me to use the full 20Gb?
    From where do I download it?
    Do I lose the existing data on the drive?
    Can I then re-install the second drive and duplex them?

    TIA for any help anyone can give.

    Richard

    wrote:
    > >> I am brand new to using NetWare, and for my first experience I am

    trying to
    > >> install NetWare v2.2 on a newer machine with a 40G hard drive.

    > >NetWare 2.2? You're joking, right? That's old enough that the 80286
    > >processor was still being installed in "server class" machines.
    > >
    > >> have found, NW 2.2 added support for up to 2G drives, but is there any

    sort
    > >> of patch/upgrade that is available that will allow me to install on a

    larger
    > >> drive?

    > >Nope. Back then, 2G was _huge_. There was no way you'd ever see a single
    > >physical disk bigger than that.
    > >
    > >Do yourself a huge favour. Put it back in whatever file cabinet you found
    > >it in. Download the NetWare 6.5 demo and have a look at a real, modern,
    > >server operating system if you want to get some NetWare experience.

+ Reply to Thread