screenshot of netware - Netware

This is a discussion on screenshot of netware - Netware ; I have been for years trying to find a screenshot of Novell Netware. I have never used it, but I want to know what kind of GUI it is and does someone have a screenshot of it, like the desktop ...

  1. screenshot of netware

    I have been for years trying to find a screenshot of Novell Netware. I
    have never used it, but I want to know what kind of GUI it is and does
    someone have a screenshot of it, like the desktop or command prompt,
    and is Netware a really big program for DOS, or a total OS loading
    from the Master Boot Record?

  2. Re: screenshot of netware

    On 10 Oct 2004 10:19:13 -0700, buildmorelines wrote:
    > I have been for years trying to find a screenshot of Novell Netware. I

    Since there are many virtual screens on the average NetWare server, which
    one would you like a picture of?

    > have never used it, but I want to know what kind of GUI it is and does
    > someone have a screenshot of it, like the desktop or command prompt,

    For versions that feature a GUI, it's based on X11. Being a "server"
    operating system, there's not much of a "desktop" to it. Desktops are
    for users.

    > and is Netware a really big program for DOS, or a total OS loading
    > from the Master Boot Record?

    It's an operating system. Earlier versions (v1.x and v2.x) loaded
    from the MBR via the "cold boot loader". This was a pain if something
    went wrong, so with NW 3.x, they changed it to allow a small DOS
    partition to be used to boot the server and load the operating system;
    once the OS is running, DOS can be removed from memory if desired.
    Versions 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, and 6.0 all use the DOS boot partition. I
    haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that 6.5 may go back to offering
    the cold boot loader again as an option.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Herblock's Law: If it's good, they discontinue it. |

  3. Re: screenshot of netware

    Since I dont really know what I am talking about, I would like to see
    the main, or screen you get when it finished booting, or the main menu
    or something big and major and central. The X11 screenshot would be
    nice too, again I would like something main, like a screen I would get
    if I sat down and turned on the monitor. If Netware has multiple
    desktops/tty/consoles like linux does, I would like to see the main
    one or login one.
    David Gersic wrote in message news:...
    > On 10 Oct 2004 10:19:13 -0700, buildmorelines wrote:
    > > I have been for years trying to find a screenshot of Novell Netware. I

    > Since there are many virtual screens on the average NetWare server, which
    > one would you like a picture of?
    >

    > > have never used it, but I want to know what kind of GUI it is and does
    > > someone have a screenshot of it, like the desktop or command prompt,

    > For versions that feature a GUI, it's based on X11. Being a "server"
    > operating system, there's not much of a "desktop" to it. Desktops are
    > for users.
    >

    > > and is Netware a really big program for DOS, or a total OS loading
    > > from the Master Boot Record?

    > It's an operating system. Earlier versions (v1.x and v2.x) loaded
    > from the MBR via the "cold boot loader". This was a pain if something
    > went wrong, so with NW 3.x, they changed it to allow a small DOS
    > partition to be used to boot the server and load the operating system;
    > once the OS is running, DOS can be removed from memory if desired.
    > Versions 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, and 6.0 all use the DOS boot partition. I
    > haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that 6.5 may go back to offering
    > the cold boot loader again as an option.

  4. Re: screenshot of netware

    buildmorelines wrote:
    > Since I dont really know what I am talking about, I would like to see
    > the main, or screen you get when it finished booting, or the main menu
    > or something big and major and central.

    On the 6.5 server I have here, once it's finished booting and I'm on the
    main console screen it has MPD2: prompt, and, errrr, that's it.

    If that doesn't sound very exciting, then hey ho, it isn't. But the
    computer is actually doing useful work serving files reliably and
    securely to connected users rather than producing fancy graphical
    representations of the fact, which would just waste memory, and since
    it's sat in a locked space away from my desk there really wouldn't be
    much point.

    NetWare doesn't have a "look". There are Java programs like ConsoleOne
    you can run on the X console, but you can run them on connected
    workstations too where they just look like another Windows (or whatever)
    app.

    If you want something to look at and say "Wow!" then NetWare is not the
    product to do it. If you want reliable and secure file service that
    integrates very well with organisational directories then it's well
    worth a look.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. Re: screenshot of netware

    On 11 Oct 2004 19:53:36 -0700, buildmorelines wrote:
    > Since I dont really know what I am talking about, I would like to see
    > the main, or screen you get when it finished booting, or the main menu
    > or something big and major and central.

    Ok, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here you go.

    The main system console screen:
    http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/N....5-Console.jpg

    If you don't have the GUI enabled, this is usually where
    you'd end up at the end of a server booting. The command prompt
    is set to show the server name. Commands can be typed here.

    Here's the GUI:
    http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/NetWare6.5-GUI.jpg

    Looks like XFree86, 'cause it is, ported to the NetWare operating
    system. Has various things that require it, or that run under it.

    And, just for the sake of it, here's the SSL handshake screen:
    http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/NetWare6.5-SSL.jpg

    > The X11 screenshot would be
    > nice too, again I would like something main, like a screen I would get
    > if I sat down and turned on the monitor.

    It's hard to say what you might see at that point. It depends on how
    the server has been configured, what's loaded and running, and where
    it was left. Multiple virtual "screens" are available. The last one
    to load, or the one that has been most recently used, is likely to be
    the one you'd be looking at if you just sat down and turned on the
    monitor. Depending on the configuration, you may or may not run in to
    the screen saver, or have to type in a password to see anything at all.

    > If Netware has multiple
    > desktops/tty/consoles like linux does, I would like to see the main
    > one or login one.

    There's no "login" screen, the OS is meant to be used remotely. The
    console is conceptually similar to a Linux server's console, meant only
    for configuration or system changes, not for the end user.

    There are multiple screens, kinda similar to Linux's multiple TTY setup,
    but the keystrokes are different. Instead of using the function keys to
    switch, you use Alt-Esc and Ctrl-Esc to change screens.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | WordPerfect: It's not just a word processor, it's a religion. |

  6. Re: screenshot of netware

    David Gersic wrote:

    >The main system console screen:
    >http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/N....5-Console.jpg

    [...]

    >Here's the GUI:
    >http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/NetWare6.5-GUI.jpg

    Hello again David,

    One question: Just how did you produce those screen grabs? Console
    utility? Grabbed at a non-console system?

    Jim

  7. Re: screenshot of netware

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:09:05 GMT, www.JimWilliamson.net wrote:
    > One question: Just how did you produce those screen grabs? Console
    > utility? Grabbed at a non-console system?

    The Netware Remote Manager (aka "NORM") web interface. The NetWare 6.5
    version allows access to the GUI, which even works pretty well, in
    addition to the regular text screens. Then just take screenshots via
    your preferred method.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Chevrolet: Crappy Hot-Running Engines, Very Rusted Out, Lose Every Time |

  8. Re: screenshot of netware

    David Gersic wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:09:05 GMT, www.JimWilliamson.net wrote:
    >> One question: Just how did you produce those screen grabs? Console
    >> utility? Grabbed at a non-console system?

    >The Netware Remote Manager (aka "NORM") web interface. The NetWare 6.5
    >version allows access to the GUI, which even works pretty well, in
    >addition to the regular text screens. Then just take screenshots via
    >your preferred method.

    Thanks. Enjoy your weekend!

    Jim

  9. Re: screenshot of netware

    David Gersic wrote in message news:...
    > On 11 Oct 2004 19:53:36 -0700, buildmorelines wrote:
    > > Since I dont really know what I am talking about, I would like to see
    > > the main, or screen you get when it finished booting, or the main menu
    > > or something big and major and central.

    > Ok, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here you go.
    >
    > The main system console screen:
    > http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/N....5-Console.jpg
    >
    > If you don't have the GUI enabled, this is usually where
    > you'd end up at the end of a server booting. The command prompt
    > is set to show the server name. Commands can be typed here.
    >
    > Here's the GUI:
    > http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/NetWare6.5-GUI.jpg
    >
    > Looks like XFree86, 'cause it is, ported to the NetWare operating
    > system. Has various things that require it, or that run under it.
    >
    > And, just for the sake of it, here's the SSL handshake screen:
    > http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/temp/NetWare6.5-SSL.jpg
    >

    > > The X11 screenshot would be
    > > nice too, again I would like something main, like a screen I would get
    > > if I sat down and turned on the monitor.

    > It's hard to say what you might see at that point. It depends on how
    > the server has been configured, what's loaded and running, and where
    > it was left. Multiple virtual "screens" are available. The last one
    > to load, or the one that has been most recently used, is likely to be
    > the one you'd be looking at if you just sat down and turned on the
    > monitor. Depending on the configuration, you may or may not run in to
    > the screen saver, or have to type in a password to see anything at all.
    >

    > > If Netware has multiple
    > > desktops/tty/consoles like linux does, I would like to see the main
    > > one or login one.

    > There's no "login" screen, the OS is meant to be used remotely. The
    > console is conceptually similar to a Linux server's console, meant only
    > for configuration or system changes, not for the end user.
    >
    > There are multiple screens, kinda similar to Linux's multiple TTY setup,
    > but the keystrokes are different. Instead of using the function keys to
    > switch, you use Alt-Esc and Ctrl-Esc to change screens.

    I bow in its (the screenshots) glory. Never saw them before, and a 11
    yr wish to see the gui of netware has been given to me. Thank you very
    much.

+ Reply to Thread