User Batch Home Directory creation from list or database - Netware

This is a discussion on User Batch Home Directory creation from list or database - Netware ; Currently we have a C# application that creates user accounts based on a registration database. It works great but for each account there is a Home directory and unfortunately with the classes avaialalbe it doesn't seem possible to create the ...

  1. User Batch Home Directory creation from list or database

    Currently we have a C# application that creates user accounts based on
    a registration database. It works great but for each account there is
    a Home directory and unfortunately with the classes avaialalbe it
    doesn't seem possible to create the directory and add the user account
    as a trustee (with the correct properties) to the directory.

    Basically what I am trying to accomplish is the batch creation of Home
    directories with the right trustee information set. I can even dump
    the list of usernames to a file if there is such a utility that needs
    to read a list from a file.

    We have over 30,000 user accounts that need this so it's not feasible
    to do this any other way than automated and I'm pretty lost. Any
    suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: User Batch Home Directory creation from list or database

    Jason,

    The Novel UIMPORT utility will do exactly what you want. It is designed
    to create user a/c & home dirs from a csv or text file & will create the
    home dir & set the rights. A much more user friendly & more capable
    version is John Baird's JRBIMPRT.

    The documention for UIMPORT may not be in the current Netware version
    but it is certainly part of the Utilities docs for NW4. It still works
    with NW6, at least.

    Novell now push LDIF as a way of creating a/cs.

    In article <2d0278c.0410080605.2e4100b7@posting.google.com>, Jason Kumpf
    writes
    >Currently we have a C# application that creates user accounts based on
    >a registration database. It works great but for each account there is
    >a Home directory and unfortunately with the classes avaialalbe it
    >doesn't seem possible to create the directory and add the user account
    >as a trustee (with the correct properties) to the directory.
    >
    >Basically what I am trying to accomplish is the batch creation of Home
    >directories with the right trustee information set. I can even dump
    >the list of usernames to a file if there is such a utility that needs
    >to read a list from a file.
    >
    >We have over 30,000 user accounts that need this so it's not feasible
    >to do this any other way than automated and I'm pretty lost. Any
    >suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  3. Re: User Batch Home Directory creation from list or database

    Do you have a web address for the JRBIMPRT or know how I can fine out more about it?

    Keith Bailey wrote in message news:<$yMNiQGCGXaBFwaL@keefb.demon.co.uk>...
    > Jason,
    >
    > The Novel UIMPORT utility will do exactly what you want. It is designed
    > to create user a/c & home dirs from a csv or text file & will create the
    > home dir & set the rights. A much more user friendly & more capable
    > version is John Baird's JRBIMPRT.
    >
    > The documention for UIMPORT may not be in the current Netware version
    > but it is certainly part of the Utilities docs for NW4. It still works
    > with NW6, at least.
    >
    > Novell now push LDIF as a way of creating a/cs.
    >

    > In article <2d0278c.0410080605.2e4100b7@posting.google.com>, Jason Kumpf
    > writes
    > >Currently we have a C# application that creates user accounts based on
    > >a registration database. It works great but for each account there is
    > >a Home directory and unfortunately with the classes avaialalbe it
    > >doesn't seem possible to create the directory and add the user account
    > >as a trustee (with the correct properties) to the directory.
    > >
    > >Basically what I am trying to accomplish is the batch creation of Home
    > >directories with the right trustee information set. I can even dump
    > >the list of usernames to a file if there is such a utility that needs
    > >to read a list from a file.
    > >
    > >We have over 30,000 user accounts that need this so it's not feasible
    > >to do this any other way than automated and I'm pretty lost. Any
    > >suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

    > Keith Bailey
    > Computer Manager
    > Kingsbury High School
    > LONDON UK

  4. Re: User Batch Home Directory creation from list or database

    Jason,

    http://www.jrbsoftware.com/

    Best regards

    In article <2d0278c.0410141204.185f03d5@posting.google.com>, Jason Kumpf
    writes
    >Do you have a web address for the JRBIMPRT or know how I can fine out
    >more about it?
    >
    >Keith Bailey wrote in message
    >> Jason,
    >>
    >> The Novel UIMPORT utility will do exactly what you want. It is designed
    >> to create user a/c & home dirs from a csv or text file & will create the
    >> home dir & set the rights. A much more user friendly & more capable
    >> version is John Baird's JRBIMPRT.
    >>
    >> The documention for UIMPORT may not be in the current Netware version
    >> but it is certainly part of the Utilities docs for NW4. It still works
    >> with NW6, at least.
    >>
    >> Novell now push LDIF as a way of creating a/cs.
    >>

    >> In article <2d0278c.0410080605.2e4100b7@posting.google.com>, Jason Kumpf
    >> writes
    >> >Currently we have a C# application that creates user accounts based on
    >> >a registration database. It works great but for each account there is
    >> >a Home directory and unfortunately with the classes avaialalbe it
    >> >doesn't seem possible to create the directory and add the user account
    >> >as a trustee (with the correct properties) to the directory.
    >> >
    >> >Basically what I am trying to accomplish is the batch creation of Home
    >> >directories with the right trustee information set. I can even dump
    >> >the list of usernames to a file if there is such a utility that needs
    >> >to read a list from a file.
    >> >
    >> >We have over 30,000 user accounts that need this so it's not feasible
    >> >to do this any other way than automated and I'm pretty lost. Any
    >> >suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

    >> Keith Bailey
    >> Computer Manager
    >> Kingsbury High School
    >> LONDON UK