Drive letters and removable storage - Netware

This is a discussion on Drive letters and removable storage - Netware ; Please help. Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives. First mapped drive from the novell server is f. When we load a removable drive all it will take the f drive letter for itself and either ...

  1. Drive letters and removable storage

    Please help.

    Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives.

    First mapped drive from the novell server is f.

    When we load a removable drive all it will take the f drive letter for
    itself and either prevent reading of the mapped drive when loggin in to
    the server or be unreadable itself until its drive letter is changed.

    Is there a way in windows to designate the next available drive so the
    removable drive will automatically become a drive that is not used
    elsewhere? (eg "nextdrive k:" or something like that)

  2. Re: Drive letters and removable storage

    Rab wrote:

    >Please help.
    >
    >Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives.

    You don't make friends with heavy inappropriate crossposting.

    Start the computer with the ext. disk attached and start diskmgmgt.msc.
    Change the letter assigned to the disk or remove it and assign a folder
    on a ntfs drive to mount the drive instead.

    HTH
    --
    Greetings
    Matthias

  3. Re: Drive letters and removable storage

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:44:48 +0200, Matthias Tacke wrote:

    > Rab wrote:
    >
    >>Please help.
    >>
    >>Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives.
    >>

    > You don't make friends with heavy inappropriate crossposting.
    >
    > Start the computer with the ext. disk attached and start diskmgmgt.msc.
    > Change the letter assigned to the disk or remove it and assign a folder
    > on a ntfs drive to mount the drive instead.
    >
    > HTH

    Now you mention it - we have this problem aswell. ie. Removable drives
    grab the first non-physical drive letter available, even if it is mapped
    to a network drive.

    If we have C, D and E letters assigned to local hard drives, then network
    drives F, G etc.. you plug in a usb stick, or a firewire hard drive, and
    it starts eating letters from F onwards.

    In a student lab environment, there are literally hundreds of possible
    devices which could be plugged in by students, so a way of pre-defining
    letters for removable drives, much like the 'FIRST NETWORK DRIVE' setting
    in the Novell Client would be very very useful.

    Last time I checked technet, they acknowledged there was no fix at that
    time.

  4. Re: Drive letters and removable storage

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:02:50 GMT, Alex Toft
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:44:48 +0200, Matthias Tacke wrote:
    >
    >> Rab wrote:
    >>
    >>>Please help.
    >>>
    >>>Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives.
    >>>

    >> You don't make friends with heavy inappropriate crossposting.
    >>
    >> Start the computer with the ext. disk attached and start diskmgmgt.msc.
    >> Change the letter assigned to the disk or remove it and assign a folder
    >> on a ntfs drive to mount the drive instead.
    >>
    >> HTH

    >Now you mention it - we have this problem aswell. ie. Removable drives
    >grab the first non-physical drive letter available, even if it is mapped
    >to a network drive.
    >
    >If we have C, D and E letters assigned to local hard drives, then network
    >drives F, G etc.. you plug in a usb stick, or a firewire hard drive, and
    >it starts eating letters from F onwards.
    >
    >In a student lab environment, there are literally hundreds of possible
    >devices which could be plugged in by students, so a way of pre-defining
    >letters for removable drives, much like the 'FIRST NETWORK DRIVE' setting
    >in the Novell Client would be very very useful.
    >
    >Last time I checked technet, they acknowledged there was no fix at that
    >time.

    I get round this by connecting the device then manually amending the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices registry key.

    Thus I force various devices to M:, N: P: etc taking care not to use
    those mappings in netware.

    Might be a bit of a pain in a student environment but then again you
    can distribute registry changes.

    hth

    --
    TonyL

  5. Re: Drive letters and removable storage

    Please read Windows Help key words "drive mapping" for the following.

    "Network drives are assigned letters from Z to A, and local drives (your
    hard drive and removable storage devices) are assigned letters from A to Z."

    Rab wrote:

    > Please help.
    >
    > Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives.
    >
    > First mapped drive from the novell server is f.
    >
    > When we load a removable drive all it will take the f drive letter for
    > itself and either prevent reading of the mapped drive when loggin in to
    > the server or be unreadable itself until its drive letter is changed.
    >
    > Is there a way in windows to designate the next available drive so the
    > removable drive will automatically become a drive that is not used
    > elsewhere? (eg "nextdrive k:" or something like that)

  6. Re: Drive letters and removable storage

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:07:15 -0500, Bob I wrote:

    >Please read Windows Help key words "drive mapping" for the following.
    >
    >"Network drives are assigned letters from Z to A, and local drives (your
    >hard drive and removable storage devices) are assigned letters from A to Z."

    We are in the Netware forum here and netware assigns drive letter (by
    default) from F - Z (on the assumption A - E are local) and search
    drives from Z-F. Problems occur when added devices encroach on F
    onward but not necessarily keeping the same letter as they did last
    time.

    TonyL

    >Rab wrote:
    >
    >> Please help.
    >>
    >> Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives.
    >>
    >> First mapped drive from the novell server is f.
    >>
    >> When we load a removable drive all it will take the f drive letter for
    >> itself and either prevent reading of the mapped drive when loggin in to
    >> the server or be unreadable itself until its drive letter is changed.
    >>
    >> Is there a way in windows to designate the next available drive so the
    >> removable drive will automatically become a drive that is not used
    >> elsewhere? (eg "nextdrive k:" or something like that)

  7. Re: Drive letters and removable storage

    It is always possible in the Netware Client to assign the 1st network
    drive to a letter other than F:

    In article <415d3d59.75485953@news.individual.net>, Tony Lewis
    writes
    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:07:15 -0500, Bob I wrote:
    >
    >>Please read Windows Help key words "drive mapping" for the following.
    >>
    >>"Network drives are assigned letters from Z to A, and local drives (your
    >>hard drive and removable storage devices) are assigned letters from A to Z."
    >>

    >We are in the Netware forum here and netware assigns drive letter (by
    >default) from F - Z (on the assumption A - E are local) and search
    >drives from Z-F. Problems occur when added devices encroach on F
    >onward but not necessarily keeping the same letter as they did last
    >time.
    >
    >TonyL
    >

    >>Rab wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please help.
    >>>
    >>> Using windows XP and 2003 server with removable usb hard drives.
    >>>
    >>> First mapped drive from the novell server is f.
    >>>
    >>> When we load a removable drive all it will take the f drive letter for
    >>> itself and either prevent reading of the mapped drive when loggin in to
    >>> the server or be unreadable itself until its drive letter is changed.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way in windows to designate the next available drive so the
    >>> removable drive will automatically become a drive that is not used
    >>> elsewhere? (eg "nextdrive k:" or something like that)

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  8. Re: Drive letters and removable storage - fixed :)

    I notice that a lot of people replied who didn't actually understand
    the problem. This fix is only needed when :

    1) Users are not permitted to use disc manager to change drive letters.
    and
    2) Where countless numbers of different makes and models of devices could
    be used, preventing manually allocated drive letters from sticking

    I gave this some thought and I've found a fix which works - for us at
    least. It's a touch dirty, but in the absence of a clean solution it's the
    best I can offer at present..

    Just for reference we run NW6.5, ZfD6.5, XP with DLU (Restricted User). All
    machines have local C: and D: drives, and our video suites have E: aswell.
    Network mappings at the front end of the alphabet are F: and H:.

    A device plugged in will install correctly but will not be visible in
    Windows Explorer. This is because the device is installed by the system
    user, who knows nothing about user network drive mappings and hence uses
    F: as the perceived first available letter (there is no way to configure
    Windows to use specified letters when countless multiple devices are
    involved). The user will still see their network F: drive and the usb
    stick will be unavailable unless they disconnect the network mapping at
    which point it magically appears. Oppositely, if you plug in the usb
    stick before logging in, it WILL be available, but the login script will
    fail to map your home directory as the system user has already allocated
    F:.

    The way round this is to trick system into thinking that network drives
    (ie. F: and H are in use, and this must be done between the running of
    the login script, and the insertion of the usb key. If this is done before
    the login script runs, the network maps will fail, but when run shortly
    there-afterwards, the user can see and use their F: and H: mappings whilst
    at the same time, invisibly in the system space, F: and H: are set as
    substitute references to the D: drive therefore occupying those letters
    from the perspective of the disc management system.

    To do this I have used the subst command, and called the following 2 batch
    files from the scheduler to run as secure system :

    on login :
    subst F: D:\
    subst H: D:\

    and on logout to remove subst refs :
    subst F: /d
    subst H: /d

    A reboot automatically clears the references.

    Hope this is of use to someone.

    Cheers

    Alex
    Senior Geek