Determining logged in users - Netware

This is a discussion on Determining logged in users - Netware ; Not sure if this is the best group to post to, but here goes... Using an LDAP query I am able to extract which network address a specific user is connected to. We are using a ZEN4 import policy to ...

  1. Determining logged in users

    Not sure if this is the best group to post to, but here goes...

    Using an LDAP query I am able to extract which network address a
    specific user is connected to. We are using a ZEN4 import policy to
    inventory our network (not hardware and software, just workstations).

    I would like to query a specific network address to see which user ID
    (if any) is connected to that machine, and when he logged into the
    machine.

    I have looked at the wMNAMEUser and wMLastRegisteredTime attributes,
    but those seem to contain information about the most recent login and
    not the current (if any) login.

    Is it possible to do what I need to do, and if so, how? Thanks in
    advance.

  2. Re: Determining logged in users

    On 21 Sep 2004 10:54:06 -0700, Mike wrote:
    > Using an LDAP query I am able to extract which network address a
    > specific user is connected to.

    So you're doing an LDAP search for the user, and returning the value(s)
    of the Network Address attribute.

    > I would like to query a specific network address to see which user ID
    > (if any) is connected to that machine, and when he logged into the
    > machine.

    You could query for all objects that have a specific Network Address,
    but that would only be for current (or stuck) connections. There's no
    historical data kept for login / logout by default. To get something
    like what you're looking for requires an audit trail. Depending on
    the version of NetWare you're using, that could mean using Auditing
    (yech), NAAS (not bad, but stillborn), or NSure Audit (currently what
    Novell are shipping for auditing). You could also investigate a 3rd
    party tool called AuditLogin from http://www.condreyconsulting.com.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | MCSE: Marketting Corrupts Smart Engineering |

  3. Re: Determining logged in users

    David Gersic wrote in message news:...
    > On 21 Sep 2004 10:54:06 -0700, Mike wrote:
    > > Using an LDAP query I am able to extract which network address a
    > > specific user is connected to.

    > So you're doing an LDAP search for the user, and returning the value(s)
    > of the Network Address attribute.
    >

    > > I would like to query a specific network address to see which user ID
    > > (if any) is connected to that machine, and when he logged into the
    > > machine.

    > You could query for all objects that have a specific Network Address,
    > but that would only be for current (or stuck) connections. There's no
    > historical data kept for login / logout by default. To get something
    > like what you're looking for requires an audit trail. Depending on
    > the version of NetWare you're using, that could mean using Auditing
    > (yech), NAAS (not bad, but stillborn), or NSure Audit (currently what
    > Novell are shipping for auditing). You could also investigate a 3rd
    > party tool called AuditLogin from http://www.condreyconsulting.com.

    Hi David, thanks for the response. I ended up writing an LDAP query
    that queries all 48000+ user accounts, looking for the specified
    network address. It's sort of backwards from what I wanted, but it
    works and is very fast, considering how many records I have to query.

+ Reply to Thread