Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32 - Netware

This is a discussion on Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32 - Netware ; I have a couple of questions that I cannot get answered about Netware Clients and which logon servers they use to authenticate. I am going to have a 20-25 server netware environment with around 5,000 users. Configured in the Root ...

  1. Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    I have a couple of questions that I cannot get answered about Netware
    Clients and which logon servers they use to authenticate.

    I am going to have a 20-25 server netware environment with around
    5,000 users.

    Configured in the Root will be (1) Master/(4) R/W replicas: two of
    which I only want to respond to login requests (i.e. all client32
    login requests should be directed to these two servers).

    Is there is easy way to accomplish this? It is my understanding when
    Client32 queries the DA for a list of NDAP:novell services it will
    return the closet replia for which the client to authenticate. I want
    control on which replia and/or server is used for processing
    authentications and/or login scripts.

    Also, what exactly should the preferred server be used for in the
    Client? This this setting really need to be configured on the client?

    Finally, anyone got any experiencing authenticating this many users
    off two login servers. According to novell, this should be a light
    load on Novell.

  2. Re: Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    Leave the tree blank and enter a server for preferred server.

    - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE, ASE
    NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
    Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
    Using VA 5.50 build 311 on Windows 2000 build 2195

  3. Re: Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    Thanks for your reply but not exactly what I was looking for.

    Anders Gustafsson wrote in message news:...
    > Leave the tree blank and enter a server for preferred server.
    >
    > - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE, ASE
    > NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
    > Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
    > Using VA 5.50 build 311 on Windows 2000 build 2195

  4. Re: Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    Michael,

    What exactly are you looking for?

    You can push out the login server in the client using group policy & the
    Novell client adm files.

    In article <11e1f6c0.0409100608.4a8006bd@posting.google.com>, Michael
    writes
    >Thanks for your reply but not exactly what I was looking for.
    >
    >Anders Gustafsson wrote in message
    >> Leave the tree blank and enter a server for preferred server.
    >>
    >> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE, ASE
    >> NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
    >> Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
    >> Using VA 5.50 build 311 on Windows 2000 build 2195

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  5. Re: Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    Suppose I don't specify a login server. How does NDS locate which
    locate server to use? I only want regardless of the # of partitions
    to accept logins from (2) servers.

  6. Re: Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    Michael,

    There is a setting in the client called "get nearest server". If no
    server is specified in the client & "get nearest server" is set then the
    first one to respond handles the login.

    In article <11e1f6c0.0409141302.26a1fda3@posting.google.com>, Michael
    writes
    >Suppose I don't specify a login server. How does NDS locate which
    >locate server to use? I only want regardless of the # of partitions
    >to accept logins from (2) servers.

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  7. Re: Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    On 14 Sep 2004 14:02:16 -0700, Michael wrote:
    > Suppose I don't specify a login server. How does NDS locate which
    > locate server to use?

    NDS doesn't. The Client does. How it does, and what it does depends a lot
    on how you have it configured, and which protocols you're using.

    Assuming you have it configured for IP, and not for IPX, it will make
    either a broadcast or multicast request for an SLP DA. If one is reachable
    it will be queried for _a_ server that is in the configured tree. If you
    have a DA configured in the client, this will be done via unicast instead
    of broadcast or multicast.

    Once it has the address of an initial server to attach to, it will attach to
    and request a referral list from that server, looking for one that can
    satisfy it's requests to log in. This may involve walking through
    intermediat servers and making more referral requests. Once it has found
    one that can be used, it will attach to it and use it to process the
    login request.

    > I only want regardless of the # of partitions
    > to accept logins from (2) servers.

    Yes, you said that. I still think you're trying too hard to configure
    this and potentially over-tuning a setup that is designed to work without
    much configuration or tuning.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |

  8. Re: Control Login Servers Used for Authentication from Client32

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:26:41 +0100, Keith Bailey wrote:
    > Michael,
    >
    > There is a setting in the client called "get nearest server".

    Get Nearest Server is a broadcast packet, and only applies to IPX.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |