Accesing Windows Resources - Netware

This is a discussion on Accesing Windows Resources - Netware ; Hi All, I´m here to ask you people if there is anyway to access windows´s shared resources from DOS VLM netware clients ? To explain better: I have a network of DOS and Windows CLIENTS and 2 Servers, a Windows ...

  1. Accesing Windows Resources

    Hi All, I´m here to ask you people if there is anyway to access
    windows´s shared resources from DOS VLM netware clients ?

    To explain better:

    I have a network of DOS and Windows CLIENTS and 2 Servers, a Windows
    2000 Server, and a Netware 4.11

    Both servers coexists perfectly for Windows CLIENTS, but the DOS
    Clients I can only connect them to only one(since I need the
    convencional memory, I can only run 1 of the network client´s
    softwares) most the time they are conected to netware, and using it as
    File / Print server.

    But for a part of my softwares, I need the DOS clients, to be able to
    right files into the Windows Server too.

    The software uses file interfaces to connect between modules(DOS <->
    WIN), and the time needed for a batch app to copy the file from the
    netware to the windows, and after procesing, back to the netware is too
    much, also considering the softwares are capable of working with
    window´s directory hooks to cut off directory pooling time and cpu
    consumption. (Time is very important, since some processes are consumer
    related, and the less time it takes, the best for the consumer)

    So is there anyway for me to be running NW VLM Client on the DOS
    computers and through it connect to windows shared resources?

    I´ve seen a couple of KB sheets on Microsoft´s site but only thing I
    found is a ( free / trial ) ? Microsoft Direcory Sincronization Service
    wich I can´t install because I don´t use Microsoft Active
    Directory(Wich is more than expectable since it´s working as App
    server and not as net controller like NW´s).
    Thnaks in advance, Any help would be very appreciated

  2. Re: Accesing Windows Resources

    You need to run the Microsoft DOS client to connect to your M$ server.
    From memory it's installed by default on Window 3 & win 95. The command
    is "Net" followed by a range of arguments. Check the M$ docs for the
    syntax.

    In article , Maximiliano Podostroiec
    writes
    >Hi All, I´m here to ask you people if there is anyway to access
    >windows´s shared resources from DOS VLM netware clients ?
    >
    >To explain better:
    >
    >I have a network of DOS and Windows CLIENTS and 2 Servers, a Windows
    >2000 Server, and a Netware 4.11
    >
    >Both servers coexists perfectly for Windows CLIENTS, but the DOS
    >Clients I can only connect them to only one(since I need the
    >convencional memory, I can only run 1 of the network client´s
    >softwares) most the time they are conected to netware, and using it as
    >File / Print server.
    >
    >But for a part of my softwares, I need the DOS clients, to be able to
    >right files into the Windows Server too.
    >
    >The software uses file interfaces to connect between modules(DOS <->
    >WIN), and the time needed for a batch app to copy the file from the
    >netware to the windows, and after procesing, back to the netware is too
    >much, also considering the softwares are capable of working with
    >window´s directory hooks to cut off directory pooling time and cpu
    >consumption. (Time is very important, since some processes are consumer
    >related, and the less time it takes, the best for the consumer)
    >
    >So is there anyway for me to be running NW VLM Client on the DOS
    >computers and through it connect to windows shared resources?
    >
    >I´ve seen a couple of KB sheets on Microsoft´s site but only thing I
    >found is a ( free / trial ) ? Microsoft Direcory Sincronization Service
    >wich I can´t install because I don´t use Microsoft Active
    >Directory(Wich is more than expectable since it´s working as App
    >server and not as net controller like NW´s).
    >Thnaks in advance, Any help would be very appreciated

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  3. Re: Accesing Windows Resources

    Keith Bailey wrote in message news:...
    > You need to run the Microsoft DOS client to connect to your M$ server.
    > From memory it's installed by default on Window 3 & win 95. The command
    > is "Net" followed by a range of arguments. Check the M$ docs for the
    > syntax.

    Thanks but this is not the answer i´m looking for.
    If you read carefully you can surelly understand i´m running PURE DOS
    Clients (DOS 6.22)
    And I NEED them to be running NW VLM client, and to NOT run MS NET
    MANAGER CLIENT, because convensional is very needed by my soft, and I
    can´t afford both networking clients at the same time

  4. Re: Accesing Windows Resources

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:25:35 -0700, Maximiliano Podostroiec wrote:

    > Keith Bailey wrote in message news:...
    >> You need to run the Microsoft DOS client to connect to your M$ server.
    >> From memory it's installed by default on Window 3 & win 95. The command
    >> is "Net" followed by a range of arguments. Check the M$ docs for the
    >> syntax.

    > Thanks but this is not the answer i´m looking for.
    > If you read carefully you can surelly understand i´m running PURE DOS
    > Clients (DOS 6.22)
    > And I NEED them to be running NW VLM client, and to NOT run MS NET
    > MANAGER CLIENT, because convensional is very needed by my soft, and I
    > can´t afford both networking clients at the same time

    Why not just load IPX on the Windows server ?

    Cheers

    Alex

  5. Re: Accesing Windows Resources

    I´m really amazed to see some people has the spare time to post such
    IDIOTIC ANSWERS.

    If you don´t have a ****ing knowledge about HOW shared resources are
    connected, then DON´T answer at all !!!

    IPX such as TCP/IP, and NETBEUI are just TRANSFER PROTOCOLS.
    NW VLM, and MS LANMAN are RESOURCES SERVER/CLIENTS, wich are NOT
    dependant on transfer protocols

    Ohhh by the way: I´m workin with TCP/IP, wich is fully compatible with
    BOTH network clients.

    And once again, what I need is:
    Having NW VLM client installed on the DOS machines, connect to a
    Windows shared resource WITHOUT loading MS LANMAN

  6. Re: Accesing Windows Resources

    On 21 Sep 2004 11:37:39 -0700, Maximiliano Podostroiec wrote:
    > I´m really amazed to see some people has the spare time to post such
    > IDIOTIC ANSWERS.

    > And once again, what I need is:
    > Having NW VLM client installed on the DOS machines, connect to a
    > Windows shared resource WITHOUT loading MS LANMAN

    Ok, so you're an idiot and you don't know what you're doing, so you
    shouldn't post. What else can we help you with?

    Here's a hint: VLMs connect you to Novell / NetWare / NDS resources. They
    will not connect you to other network resources. If you want to connect to
    Microsoft Windows resources, you need to use (surprise!) Microsoft
    software. The last I heard, for DOS clients, that means (surprise!) LanMan.

    If you don't like the answer, that doesn't mean that the person answering
    your question is an idiot. Put another way, if you're so smart, why are you
    asking us how to do what you're trying to do?

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | "I just forgot to increment," he said, nonplussed. |

  7. Re: Accesing Windows Resources

    For first Instance, "put IPX" is not an answer like yours.
    On second, I already know the diference between, protocol, and service,
    wich Alex seems to not know.

    Now, As I said Lanman's ****ing REDIR takes a ****ing lot of
    convencional memory, wich I need for my own app
    Also, I have already seen, working Netware server's 3.12 and 4.11,
    conected to windows resources, so THAT's what I need. To inter-connect
    both servers, and share that as a virtual directory (if such think
    exists, there I don't know) on the public.

+ Reply to Thread