Windows XP & Novell 3.12 with Print Queues & Dos Program - Netware

This is a discussion on Windows XP & Novell 3.12 with Print Queues & Dos Program - Netware ; Hi , I have 2 problems both involving Windows XP workstations working incorrectly with Dos programs running on Novell Servers. First. I have a Dos program running perfectly for years with windows 95 & 98 Workstations. The program is on ...

  1. Windows XP & Novell 3.12 with Print Queues & Dos Program

    Hi ,
    I have 2 problems both involving Windows XP workstations working
    incorrectly with Dos programs running on Novell Servers.

    First.
    I have a Dos program running perfectly for years with windows 95 & 98
    Workstations. The program is on a Novell 3.12 Server with printers assigned
    print queues.

    The problem now is that new computers with Windows XP running the program do
    not work with the print queues. If you select a print queue from within the
    program it will print but if you select another print queue for another
    report it uses the first queue selected to print the report or it might
    print to any printer on the network.
    Novell Client V4.83 SP2 is installed on the Windows XP computer to link to
    the Novell server.

    Second.
    I also have another problem with linking a Windows XP workstation to a
    Novell 4.12 Server running a different dos program. This dos program
    also ran perfectly using windows 95 & 98 workstations. The problem this time
    is printing to local printers takes 10 to 15 seconds and I am getting
    database locking problems where none existed before.

    Is there something that can be done to get dos programs, running on Novell
    Servers, to work with Windows XP. All new computers running Windows XP are
    using Novell Client V4.83SP2 to link to the Novell Servers.

    Are Microsoft trying to get rid of Novell Servers by making their new
    operating systems incompatable with Novell?.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Thomas.

  2. Re: Windows XP & Novell 3.12 with Print Queues & Dos Program

    3.12? Time to upgrade mon.

    Here is a trick you might want to try however.

    Create a dos bat file. In in run a capture.exe command to the printer you
    want the one program that doesnt print correctly. Then have the bat file
    open the windows program. Then make the third line uncapture the printer.

    Put the file on the server where the user(s) can open it. Copy shortcut to
    the desktop to the user(s).

    The whole idea here is that when they open the dos file, it creates a
    temporary capture to the bindary queue. It then opens the Windows program.
    When the user exits the program, that is when the end capture is run. Thus
    everything is back to normal. oh yea, add a fourth line to exit. Syntax in
    dos file is sortof like this:

    capture.exe q=printer.que nf nb
    winword
    capture.exe /end (dont remember the exact syntax)
    exit

    I had to do this with 4.11 netware, and Windows 2000 and Xp.

    Good luck!
    "Thomas" wrote in message
    > Hi ,
    > I have 2 problems both involving Windows XP workstations working
    > incorrectly with Dos programs running on Novell Servers.
    >
    > First.
    > I have a Dos program running perfectly for years with windows 95 & 98
    > Workstations. The program is on a Novell 3.12 Server with printers

    assigned
    > print queues.
    >
    > The problem now is that new computers with Windows XP running the program

    do
    > not work with the print queues. If you select a print queue from within

    the
    > program it will print but if you select another print queue for another
    > report it uses the first queue selected to print the report or it might
    > print to any printer on the network.
    > Novell Client V4.83 SP2 is installed on the Windows XP computer to link to
    > the Novell server.
    >
    > Second.
    > I also have another problem with linking a Windows XP workstation to a
    > Novell 4.12 Server running a different dos program. This dos program
    > also ran perfectly using windows 95 & 98 workstations. The problem this

    time
    > is printing to local printers takes 10 to 15 seconds and I am getting
    > database locking problems where none existed before.
    >
    > Is there something that can be done to get dos programs, running on

    Novell
    > Servers, to work with Windows XP. All new computers running Windows XP are
    > using Novell Client V4.83SP2 to link to the Novell Servers.
    >
    > Are Microsoft trying to get rid of Novell Servers by making their new
    > operating systems incompatable with Novell?.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Thomas.

+ Reply to Thread