NDS for Windows - Netware

This is a discussion on NDS for Windows - Netware ; Years ago I used a product named NDS for Windows, to manage NT user from Netware. Does exit something similar for active directory ? I need to integrate an Windows 2k3 server into a Netware 5.1 structure, and I would ...

  1. NDS for Windows

    Years ago I used a product named NDS for Windows, to manage NT user from
    Netware.
    Does exit something similar for active directory ? I need to integrate an
    Windows 2k3 server into a Netware 5.1 structure, and I would like to insert
    it into my tree, so I don't have to double administer my users profile.

    Thanks, Leo

  2. Re: NDS for Windows

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:03:46 GMT, Leonardo Broseghini wrote:
    > Years ago I used a product named NDS for Windows, to manage NT user from
    > Netware.

    That's long gone. There are a couple of options, but you're now looking for
    Identity Manager.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Let the programmers be many and the managers few. Tao of Programming. |

  3. Re: NDS for Windows

    "David Gersic" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > That's long gone. There are a couple of options, but you're now looking

    for
    > Identity Manager.

    I tought it was edirectory.

    Leo

  4. Re: NDS for Windows

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:18:07 GMT, Leonardo Broseghini wrote:

    > "David Gersic" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> That's long gone. There are a couple of options, but you're now looking

    > for
    >> Identity Manager.

    > I tought it was edirectory.

    NDS is now known as eDirectory (eDir), but you were looking for more than
    that. The "NDS For NT" product redirected all WinNT security, and the SAM
    database itself, in to NDS. With Win2K and newer, this is no longer
    possible.

    Identity Manager gives you the ability to set up your Win2K / Active
    Directory (MAD) environment, and to synchronize the information between
    eDir and MAD.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Sleep is a totally inadequate substitute for caffeine... |

  5. Re: NDS for Windows

    wrote:

    >"David Gersic" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> That's long gone. There are a couple of options, but you're now looking

    >for
    >> Identity Manager.

    >I tought it was edirectory.
    >

    >Leo

    Leo, you are right.
    All you need to is to install eDirectory on your W3K server and skip
    MAD as eDir 8.7.3+ adds suppport for W3K. I don't see the need for
    Identity Manager in the scenario you describe.

    Cheers
    Steffen

  6. Re: NDS for Windows

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:35:29 +0200, Stef <> wrote:
    > All you need to is to install eDirectory on your W3K server and skip
    > MAD as eDir 8.7.3+ adds suppport for W3K.

    Uh, no. You can, indeed, install eDir on Win2k3, but that just gets you an
    eDir server running on Windows. It does not get you access to Windows
    resources (shares, etc.).

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard. |

  7. Re: NDS for Windows

    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:35:29 +0200, Stef <> wrote:
    > > All you need to is to install eDirectory on your W3K server and skip
    > > MAD as eDir 8.7.3+ adds suppport for W3K.

    > Uh, no. You can, indeed, install eDir on Win2k3, but that just gets you an
    > eDir server running on Windows. It does not get you access to Windows
    > resources (shares, etc.).

    So do I need *both* ?

    Thanks, Leo

  8. Re: NDS for Windows

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:43:26 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >Uh, no. You can, indeed, install eDir on Win2k3, but that just gets you an
    >eDir server running on Windows. It does not get you access to Windows
    >resources (shares, etc.).

    Correct. Only Leo never said anything about shares, he only mentioned
    user administration. So the answer really depends on the purpose of
    the W3K server.

  9. Re: NDS for Windows

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:01:06 GMT, Leonardo Broseghini wrote:

    > "David Gersic" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:35:29 +0200, Stef <> wrote:
    >> > All you need to is to install eDirectory on your W3K server and skip
    >> > MAD as eDir 8.7.3+ adds suppport for W3K.

    >> Uh, no. You can, indeed, install eDir on Win2k3, but that just gets you an
    >> eDir server running on Windows. It does not get you access to Windows
    >> resources (shares, etc.).

    > So do I need *both* ?

    Maybe, depending on how you want to set it up. You can run eDir on the
    Win2k3 server, if you want, but you don't have to.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Newsflash: Microsoft announces Visual Edlin for Windows. |

  10. Re: NDS for Windows

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:22:38 +0200, Stef <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:43:26 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Uh, no. You can, indeed, install eDir on Win2k3, but that just gets you an
    >>eDir server running on Windows. It does not get you access to Windows
    >>resources (shares, etc.).

    > Correct. Only Leo never said anything about shares, he only mentioned
    > user administration. So the answer really depends on the purpose of
    > the W3K server.

    Realistically, he's probably putting in the Win2k3 server for a purpose.
    That purpose is likely to involve something (Exchange, MS SQL, IIS, etc.)
    that's going to want to authenticate users via Windows security (MAD,
    etc.). Telling him he can install eDir on it and not install MAD is likely
    to lead him astray.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Optimist: One lacking sufficient experience. |

  11. Re: NDS for Windows

    > Realistically, he's probably putting in the Win2k3 server for a purpose.
    > That purpose is likely to involve something (Exchange, MS SQL, IIS, etc.)

    Good: this is exactly the point. I need some service only Windows servers
    can give to me, but I don't want to administer twice the users.
    I don't need more replicas, only users management and Microsoft services.

    So is Identity Manager the product I'm looking for ?

    Thanks, Leo

  12. Re: NDS for Windows

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:28:23 GMT, Leonardo Broseghini wrote:

    > "David Gersic" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Realistically, he's probably putting in the Win2k3 server for a purpose.
    >> That purpose is likely to involve something (Exchange, MS SQL, IIS, etc.)

    > Good: this is exactly the point. I need some service only Windows servers
    > can give to me, but I don't want to administer twice the users.

    That is what I suspected. You will have twice the users, as you'll have to
    impliment a MAD setup, but you an admin the whole thing from eDir, once you
    have IDM2 in place.

    > So is Identity Manager the product I'm looking for ?

    Yes.