Files being locked - Netware

This is a discussion on Files being locked - Netware ; Netware Version 5.1 Client Version 4.90.0.0 SP1a Workstations W2k and XP I am experiencing an issue with files being locked and showing up as such in the files open/lock activity section. The problem is, either the server or workstation is ...

  1. Files being locked

    Netware Version 5.1
    Client Version 4.90.0.0 SP1a
    Workstations W2k and XP

    I am experiencing an issue with files being locked and showing up as
    such in the files open/lock activity section. The problem is, either
    the server or workstation is not releasing the file after it has been
    closed.

    The is occuring with Word, Excel, Access, and Christal Reports (so
    far).

    We are having to "kick" the workstations connection and also restart
    the workstation to regain access to the files.

    Any ideas??

    Thanks,

    - Ray

  2. Re: Files being locked

    Am 25 Aug 2004 15:35:43 -0700 schrieb Ray Dosdorian:

    > Netware Version 5.1

    > I am experiencing an issue with files being locked and showing up as
    > such in the files open/lock activity section. The problem is, either
    > the server or workstation is not releasing the file after it has been
    > closed.

    which NW 5.1 SP?

    SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED=OFF and
    SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED = OFF

    > The is occuring with Word, Excel, Access, and Christal Reports (so
    > far).

    Antivirus Software running on server and/or clients?

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

  3. Re: Files being locked

    "Stefan Braunstein" skrev i meddelandet
    > Am 25 Aug 2004 15:35:43 -0700 schrieb Ray Dosdorian:
    >
    > > Netware Version 5.1

    > > I am experiencing an issue with files being locked and showing up as
    > > such in the files open/lock activity section. The problem is, either
    > > the server or workstation is not releasing the file after it has been
    > > closed.

    > which NW 5.1 SP?
    >
    > SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED=OFF and
    > SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED = OFF
    >
    > > The is occuring with Word, Excel, Access, and Christal Reports (so
    > > far).

    > Antivirus Software running on server and/or clients?
    >
    > --
    > Stefan Braunstein
    > - no e-mails -

    I have noticed this problem too.
    We´re running antivirus software: McAfee Netshield on server and McAfee
    VirusScan on client.
    Could this be the problem?

    Tomas

  4. Re: Files being locked

    > >> Antivirus Software running on server and/or clients?

    > > We´re running antivirus software: McAfee Netshield on server and McAfee
    > > VirusScan on client.
    > > Could this be the problem?

    > Sure. Deactivate both of them and try it one more.

    But what about virus protection then?

    Maybe I´m not having same problem as Ray was describing.
    Sometimes when I open a Word or Excel file and edit it, then when I try to
    save it, there´s a message that the file is write protected and cannot be
    saved. If I close it and open it again, edit and save, everything is ok...
    Why?
    Tomas

  5. Re: Files being locked

    Stefan Braunstein wrote in message news:<1pq1205wpwadk$.dlg@news.braunstein.de>...
    > Am 25 Aug 2004 15:35:43 -0700 schrieb Ray Dosdorian:
    >
    > > Netware Version 5.1

    > > I am experiencing an issue with files being locked and showing up as
    > > such in the files open/lock activity section. The problem is, either
    > > the server or workstation is not releasing the file after it has been
    > > closed.

    > which NW 5.1 SP?
    >
    > SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED=OFF and
    > SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED = OFF
    >
    > > The is occuring with Word, Excel, Access, and Christal Reports (so
    > > far).

    > Antivirus Software running on server and/or clients?

    Sorry for the delay in responding....

    We are running SP4 (we are scheduling an upgrade next week).

    Antivirus... Norton 7.5 on both the server and the client.

  6. Re: Files being locked

    Am 31 Aug 2004 11:17:21 -0700 schrieb Ray Dosdorian:

    >> Antivirus Software running on server and/or clients?

    > We are running SP4 (we are scheduling an upgrade next week).

    This could be one cause.

    > Antivirus... Norton 7.5 on both the server and the client.

    Then try to deactivate Norton 7.5 for some time.

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

  7. Re: Files being locked

    Am Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:34:20 GMT schrieb Tomas Gustafsson:

    >>> We´re running antivirus software: McAfee Netshield on server and McAfee
    >>> VirusScan on client.

    >> Deactivate both of them and try it one more.

    >But what about virus protection then?

    Use a better one, but don't ask me, which. I don't use a online scanner on
    my NetWare server, only a scanner on my Linux e-mail server and on some of
    the workstations Antivir from H&B EDV.

    > Sometimes when I open a Word or Excel file and edit it, then when I try to
    > save it, there´s a message that the file is write protected and cannot be
    > saved. If I close it and open it again, edit and save, everything is ok...
    > Why?

    Virus scanners need to interrupt the communication between client and
    server and if the scanner is not fast enough, it will produce such errors.

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

+ Reply to Thread