Accessing the Novell API from Visual C++ - Netware

This is a discussion on Accessing the Novell API from Visual C++ - Netware ; HELP!! I'm an old codger who's always happily managed to use the Netware "API" by using assembler and details from the ancient "Netware System Calls - DOS" manuals. I've decided that it's about time that I caught up to the ...

  1. Accessing the Novell API from Visual C++

    HELP!!

    I'm an old codger who's always happily managed to use the Netware
    "API" by using assembler and details from the ancient "Netware System
    Calls - DOS" manuals.

    I've decided that it's about time that I caught up to the right
    century and converted to C. I've been tentatively experimenting with
    Microsoft Visual C++ version 6.0 and the Novell SDK for Netware 6.0.

    I'm not trying to write NLMs, I'm just updating a set of runtime calls
    that enable applications to use Netware better..

    The problem that's stopped me dead in my tracks is that although the
    progs compile OK, I keep getting a linker error - specifically (for
    example) "error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
    _GetBinderyObjectID". My question is - how do I get the Visual C
    system to access the libraries in the NWSDK? Or should I get another
    compiler/linker? The "Professional" version of Microsoft Visual c++
    or something totally different?

    Many thanks in advance. PS, please feel free to call me an idiot..
    :-)

    --
    Jeff. Ironbridge, Shrops, U.K.
    jjy@jakfield.xu-netx.com (remove the x..x round u-net for return address)

    .... "There are few hours in life more agreeable
    than the hour dedicated to the ceremony
    known as afternoon tea.."

    Henry James, (1843 - 1916).

  2. Re: Accessing the Novell API from Visual C++

    "Jeff York " wrote in comp.os.netware.misc:

    > HELP!!
    >
    > I'm an old codger who's always happily managed to use the Netware
    > "API" by using assembler and details from the ancient "Netware System
    > Calls - DOS" manuals.
    >
    > I've decided that it's about time that I caught up to the right
    > century and converted to C. I've been tentatively experimenting with
    > Microsoft Visual C++ version 6.0 and the Novell SDK for Netware 6.0.

    You might want to use something better, such as the OpenWatcom suite
    (which is free), or CodeWarrior (officially promoted by Novell). The
    OpenWatcom tools can be downloaded from here:

    OpenWatcom
    http://www.openwatcom.org/

    Actually, OpenWatcom has really good support for many different
    platforms, and I've heard that it's a great compiler to use for building
    cross-platform software (I don't write C/C++ code because I'm an Assembler
    programmer).

    > I'm not trying to write NLMs, I'm just updating a set of runtime calls
    > that enable applications to use Netware better..
    >
    > The problem that's stopped me dead in my tracks is that although the
    > progs compile OK, I keep getting a linker error - specifically (for
    > example) "error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
    > _GetBinderyObjectID". My question is - how do I get the Visual C
    > system to access the libraries in the NWSDK? Or should I get another
    > compiler/linker? The "Professional" version of Microsoft Visual c++
    > or something totally different?

    Your best bet would be to ask these questions in the Novell
    DeveloperNet newsgroups, which are on a private NNTP server that's publicly
    accessible. There is a lot more activity there, and many groups have been
    created to accommodate a wide variety of development topics.

    NNTP server hostname: developer-forums.novell.com

    > Many thanks in advance. PS, please feel free to call me an idiot..
    >:-)

    Sorry, I can't do that. I reserve the term "idiot" for spammers and
    other network jerks, and frankly you just don't fit the bill. =D

+ Reply to Thread