JobBOSS on a NetWare Server - Netware

This is a discussion on JobBOSS on a NetWare Server - Netware ; My question concerns the use of a shop-management program called, "JobBOSS," in a Novell NetWare environment. First, the background. We are currently running NetWare v.6.0, SP4. We are running JobBOSS for Windows, v.7.4.0. There are two versions of JobBOSS ...

  1. JobBOSS on a NetWare Server

    My question concerns the use of a shop-management program called,
    "JobBOSS," in a Novell NetWare environment. First, the background.
    We are currently running NetWare v.6.0, SP4. We are running JobBOSS
    for Windows, v.7.4.0. There are two versions of JobBOSS one is
    Access-based, and the other runs on Microsoft SQL Server. We are
    running the Access-based version of JobBOSS. We have 25 JobBOSS
    users, and our database is approximately 380 MB.

    The problem is this - we are experiencing serious performance issues
    with this software. We are also experiencing corruption issues with
    the JobBOSS databases - but only with the JobBOSS databases. JobBOSS
    support thinks the problems are related. In working with JobBOSS
    support, they are essentially stating that the problem is the NetWare
    environment. According to JobBOSS, Novell currently has a problem
    dealing with multiple ADO connections to an Access database on their
    server. As a result, JobBOSS customers experience terrible
    performance in reporting within the JobBOSS v.7.x versions and above.
    They claim that during their in-house testing, they discovered that
    reports that take 15 to 20 seconds to run on a Windows server take 2
    to 3 minutes on a NetWare server. They say that the quickest proven
    option available at this time is to move the JobBOSS databases off the
    Novell server to a machine running Windows Server. The other option
    is to move to the SQL Server version. They are also stating that with
    20+ users and a 380MB database, this actually makes quite a bit of
    sense. I have talked to a couple of Novell consultants about the
    problem, and they simply stated that they had not heard of this
    before.

    So, I am interested in hearing from anyone with experience using
    JobBOSS for Windows in either a NetWare or a Microsoft environment. I
    am especially interested in hearing from anyone with a similar user
    base (25 users), and a similar database size (380 MB). First, I am
    trying to confirm that what JobBOSS is telling me is accurate - that
    the problem is running JobBOSS on a NetWare server. We would like to
    know if we can reasonably expect a performance increase simply by
    moving the databases to a Windows server. Second, has anyone made the
    transition from the Access-based version of JobBOSS to the SQL version
    of JobBOSS? How did it go? How much did it cost? And, was it worth
    it?

    Thanks in advance,

    Wayne Mathews
    CNA

  2. Re: JobBOSS on a NetWare Server

    On 21 Jul 2004 11:31:20 -0700, Wayne Mathews wrote:
    > My question concerns the use of a shop-management program called,
    > "JobBOSS," in a Novell NetWare environment. First, the background.
    > We are currently running NetWare v.6.0, SP4.

    I don't know anything about JobBOSS, but it sounds like it's just an
    application using an MS Access type database on the back end. First of all,
    ensure that your server is up to date on *all* patches and updates
    available from Novell as well as from your hardware vendor. You need to
    check for firmware updates and driver updates.

    Second, ensure that your Windows machines are up to date with patches and
    updates. You *need* the latest version of Client32 on them.

    Third, disable oplock support on the server, and reboot it to ensure that
    all clients connected to it aren't trying to use client side caching or
    oplocks.

    Once these are complete, see if your corruption (and performance) problems
    aren't resolved. I suspect that they will be, as oplocks and client side
    caching has been problematic.

    > The problem is this - we are experiencing serious performance issues
    > with this software. We are also experiencing corruption issues with
    > the JobBOSS databases - but only with the JobBOSS databases. JobBOSS
    > support thinks the problems are related. In working with JobBOSS
    > support, they are essentially stating that the problem is the NetWare
    > environment.

    They may be correct, but their proposed solution (just move it to Windows)
    is not an especially helpful one. Don't let your vendors dictate to you.
    Have you involved Novell Tech Support yet? If not, why not?

    I assume that with 380M of data that you've been running this JobBOSS
    software for some time now. I also assume that it *used* to work fine for
    you. What changed between then and now?

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | "Too many errors on one line (make fewer)" - Apple's MPW C Compiler |