Filenames with Netware 5.1 - Netware

This is a discussion on Filenames with Netware 5.1 - Netware ; Hi all, My Netware server answer me "Cannot create file, filename too long" if i try to create a file named "i:i". I guess 3 chars for a filename is not too long and it's the char ":" that is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Filenames with Netware 5.1

  1. Filenames with Netware 5.1

    Hi all,

    My Netware server answer me "Cannot create file, filename too long" if
    i try to create a file named "i:i". I guess 3 chars for a filename is
    not too long and it's the char ":" that is problematic. The Netware
    share is mounted by an ncpmount command on a Mandrake 10 workstation. I
    found this problem trying to backup my ~/evolution directory onto the
    server. Is there any solution ?

    Regards,

    Stef, discovering Netware 5.1

  2. Re: Filenames with Netware 5.1

    Stéphane Thomas wrote in news:40fe32b7$0
    $14205$626a14ce@news.free.fr:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My Netware server answer me "Cannot create file, filename too long" if
    > i try to create a file named "i:i". I guess 3 chars for a filename is
    > not too long and it's the char ":" that is problematic. The Netware
    > share is mounted by an ncpmount command on a Mandrake 10 workstation. I
    > found this problem trying to backup my ~/evolution directory onto the
    > server. Is there any solution ?


    I don't know about Linux, but the colon is illegal in a filename on
    Netware, as on Windows.

    Kind regards,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: Filenames with Netware 5.1

    Erik Klausen wrote:
    > Stéphane Thomas wrote in news:40fe32b7$0
    > $14205$626a14ce@news.free.fr:
    >
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >> My Netware server answer me "Cannot create file, filename too long" if
    >>i try to create a file named "i:i". I guess 3 chars for a filename is
    >>not too long and it's the char ":" that is problematic. The Netware
    >>share is mounted by an ncpmount command on a Mandrake 10 workstation. I
    >>found this problem trying to backup my ~/evolution directory onto the
    >>server. Is there any solution ?

    >
    >
    > I don't know about Linux, but the colon is illegal in a filename on
    > Netware, as on Windows.


    On Linux and all unices as far as i know the only illegal char in a
    filename is the slash as it's a treelevel indicator. Thanks for this
    information. I notice the error message "File name too long", the
    implementation of the ncpfs linux module it's not perfect
    I will have to use a compressed archive to backup my mail client's data.

    Stef

  4. Re: Filenames with Netware 5.1

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:45:57 +0200, Stéphane Thomas wrote:
    > On Linux and all unices as far as i know the only illegal char in a
    > filename is the slash as it's a treelevel indicator.


    Since you're using ncpfs, you have to deal with what's valid on the other
    side of the connection. In this case, : isn't a legal character in the file
    name, since that's part of the "drive letter" stuff that we got from
    Microsoft way back when.

    Now, if you were mounting the remote file system via NFS instead of NCPFS,
    I would expect your : to work, since that would be stored in the file
    system of the NetWare server using the NFS namespace, not the DOS/Windows
    namespace.

    > I will have to use a compressed archive to backup my mail client's data.


    That's probably your best bet.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday. |
    | Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores. |

  5. Re: Filenames with Netware 5.1

    David Gersic wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:45:57 +0200, Stéphane Thomas wrote:


    > Now, if you were mounting the remote file system via NFS instead of NCPFS,
    > I would expect your : to work, since that would be stored in the file
    > system of the NetWare server using the NFS namespace, not the DOS/Windows
    > namespace.


    I could do that if i was working with Netware 6.0 but it seems that i
    could not do it with 5.1, could i ?

    Stef

  6. Re: Filenames with Netware 5.1

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:19:41 +0200, Stéphane Thomas wrote:
    > I could do that if i was working with Netware 6.0 but it seems that i
    > could not do it with 5.1, could i ?


    Yes, but you'd have to get and install the Unix File and Print Services
    product.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Tetris tagline: ?? ??? ???? ??? ??? ??? ??? |
    | Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores. |

+ Reply to Thread