NW 5.1 server, trying to configure Timesync to NTP problems - Netware

This is a discussion on NW 5.1 server, trying to configure Timesync to NTP problems - Netware ; The server at our theatre is NW 5.1. It's just a server, sitting inside a hardware firewall. I'm not using Border Manager or anything else, and it's not acting as a router. It has its own static IP address. This ...

  1. NW 5.1 server, trying to configure Timesync to NTP problems

    The server at our theatre is NW 5.1. It's just a server, sitting
    inside a hardware firewall. I'm not using Border Manager or anything
    else, and it's not acting as a router. It has its own static IP
    address.

    This morning, I tried telling Timesync to connect to three different
    government NTP servers, appending the :123 after the IP address like
    the docs said, and all I get from the debug screen is "unable to
    connect to x.x.x.x:123" errors.

    I've followed each address with a semicolon. I seem to have done
    everything right -- what's preventing me from hitting the timeservers?

    This machine was donated to our group and came from a previous network
    where it got timesync info from the master server back at HQ. Is
    there an IP setting somewhere that may still be looking back to the
    former company's DNS server instead of ours? Would that cause the
    problem? I removed NDS when it was decommissioned, and installed the
    new tree at the theatre when I brough it up there.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: NW 5.1 server, trying to configure Timesync to NTP problems

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:54:36 GMT, Paul Braun wrote:
    > The server at our theatre is NW 5.1. It's just a server, sitting
    > inside a hardware firewall. I'm not using Border Manager or anything
    > else, and it's not acting as a router. It has its own static IP
    > address.

    Is the IP address valid for your network? Can you ping the outside
    address(es) you're trying to connect to? Is port 123 open on your firewall,
    or have you tried this without the firewall?

    > This machine was donated to our group and came from a previous network
    > where it got timesync info from the master server back at HQ. Is
    > there an IP setting somewhere that may still be looking back to the
    > former company's DNS server instead of ours?

    If you're connecting by name instead of ip address, check /etc/hosts for
    local name resolution settings and /etc/resolv.cfg for nameservers. Also
    check to see if filtcfg is loading, which could be blocking packets for
    you.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | He's a couple of diskettes short of a full backup. |

  3. Re: NW 5.1 server, trying to configure Timesync to NTP problems

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:54:11 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >Is the IP address valid for your network? Can you ping the outside
    >address(es) you're trying to connect to? Is port 123 open on your firewall,
    >or have you tried this without the firewall?

    It is a valid IP. I'll try pinging tomorrow when I'm there.

    >If you're connecting by name instead of ip address, check /etc/hosts for
    >local name resolution settings and /etc/resolv.cfg for nameservers. Also
    >check to see if filtcfg is loading, which could be blocking packets for
    >you.

    I checked IP settings and discovered that it wasn't set up to use our
    current dns servers. changed that, and so far timesync isn't giving
    me the timeout errors. I'll keep an eye on it.

    Thanks.

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread