synchronizing Novell Servers - How ? - Netware

This is a discussion on synchronizing Novell Servers - How ? - Netware ; Hi, Currently we have two Novell servers in our networks; one server stands in our production segment and the other one in our development segment. These servers need to be synchronized in order to keep all data up-to-date. Right now, ...

  1. synchronizing Novell Servers - How ?

    Hi,

    Currently we have two Novell servers in our networks; one server stands in
    our production segment and the other one in our development segment. These
    servers need to be synchronized in order to keep all data up-to-date. Right
    now, all production data on our other production servers is sent to the
    corresponding development server, which is done on an hourly basis.

    We would like to do the same for our Novell server. We do not want to
    restore from tape but put all the data on a disk on the "development" Novell
    server, which we use as a dister-recovery Novell production server.

    Has anyone an idea how this can be accomplished ?

    Bye,

    INCS.

  2. Re: synchronizing Novell Servers - How ?

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:01:56 +0200, PCS060 Demon wrote:
    > Currently we have two Novell servers in our networks; one server stands in
    > our production segment and the other one in our development segment. These
    > servers need to be synchronized in order to keep all data up-to-date.

    Have you looked in to rsync? That's what Novell are using for their remote
    office product which does something similar to what you're talking about.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Nothing matters but the weekend, from a Tuesday point of view. |

  3. Re: synchronizing Novell Servers - How ?

    Yes we did. Actually, we are using rsync for all our other Unixes. I know
    that rsync on Netware is specially adapted by Novell. But my administrator
    keeps telling me that you cannot synchronize a running NDS tree (or the
    whole environment for that matter).

    Do you have any exprerience with rsync on Netware to sync servers ?

    Bye,

    INCS.

    "David Gersic" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:01:56 +0200, PCS060 Demon
    > wrote:
    >> Currently we have two Novell servers in our networks; one server stands
    >> in
    >> our production segment and the other one in our development segment.
    >> These
    >> servers need to be synchronized in order to keep all data up-to-date.

    > Have you looked in to rsync? That's what Novell are using for their remote
    > office product which does something similar to what you're talking about.
    >

    > --
    > | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
    > |
    > | Nothing matters but the weekend, from a Tuesday point of view.
    > |
    > | Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores.

  4. Re: synchronizing Novell Servers - How ?

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:00:36 +0200, PCS060 Demon wrote:
    > that rsync on Netware is specially adapted by Novell. But my administrator
    > keeps telling me that you cannot synchronize a running NDS tree (or the
    > whole environment for that matter).

    Ah, that's different You said you wanted to sync _data_. You didn't
    mention directory services.

    To synchronize two NDS trees, you have to use something like DirXML (now
    called Identity Manager). I'm doing that here, with three eDirectory (NDS)
    trees and one Active Directory domain.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Edit, Save, Exit, Assemble, Link, Run, Curse, Ctrl+Alt+Del... |