Broadband on novell 3.12 network - Netware

This is a discussion on Broadband on novell 3.12 network - Netware ; We run a novell 3.12 network using ipx with win98se computers using the novell client. Is it possible to connect a broadband router into this network. I would have thought that connecting the router to one of our Hubs and ...

  1. Broadband on novell 3.12 network

    We run a novell 3.12 network using ipx with win98se computers using
    the novell client. Is it possible to connect a broadband router into
    this network. I would have thought that connecting the router to one
    of our Hubs and setting the IP address on the computers for the ones
    which require the internet would work, but I'm only guessing.
    Does anyone have any experience of trying this or any info on it.

    Thanks.

    Andy Brown

  2. Re: Broadband on novell 3.12 network

    Andy,

    This should work. We used to run a mixed IP & IPX network before we
    upgraded to NW5 & migrated to IP.

    If you just want to be able to surf the internet from the PCs this will
    work. Naturally, you'll have to install & configure IP on all the
    workstations. The router might do DHCP for you. Just configure it with
    the DNS addresses for the ISP & the IP address of the router as the
    default gateway & set the workstations to obtain an IP address
    automatically & you should be away. If the router doesn't do DHCP then
    you will have to set the addresses, the DNS & default gateway manually.

    In article , Andy B
    <4ndy_b@fsmail.net> writes
    >We run a novell 3.12 network using ipx with win98se computers using
    >the novell client. Is it possible to connect a broadband router into
    >this network. I would have thought that connecting the router to one
    >of our Hubs and setting the IP address on the computers for the ones
    >which require the internet would work, but I'm only guessing.
    >Does anyone have any experience of trying this or any info on it.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Andy Brown

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  3. Re: Broadband on novell 3.12 network

    Thanks for the help, BT also got back to me and said their router
    would not work like this, they were pretty vague about it. I think we
    might just have to try it and hope for the best.

    Andy Brown

    Keith Bailey wrote in message news:...
    > Andy,
    >
    > This should work. We used to run a mixed IP & IPX network before we
    > upgraded to NW5 & migrated to IP.
    >
    > If you just want to be able to surf the internet from the PCs this will
    > work. Naturally, you'll have to install & configure IP on all the
    > workstations. The router might do DHCP for you. Just configure it with
    > the DNS addresses for the ISP & the IP address of the router as the
    > default gateway & set the workstations to obtain an IP address
    > automatically & you should be away. If the router doesn't do DHCP then
    > you will have to set the addresses, the DNS & default gateway manually.
    >
    > In article , Andy B
    > <4ndy_b@fsmail.net> writes
    > >We run a novell 3.12 network using ipx with win98se computers using
    > >the novell client. Is it possible to connect a broadband router into
    > >this network. I would have thought that connecting the router to one
    > >of our Hubs and setting the IP address on the computers for the ones
    > >which require the internet would work, but I'm only guessing.
    > >Does anyone have any experience of trying this or any info on it.
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Andy Brown

    > Keith Bailey
    > Computer Manager