Netprint cannot send to Netware 5.1 queue - Netware

This is a discussion on Netprint cannot send to Netware 5.1 queue - Netware ; Just moved campus to Netware 5.1. Currently we have individual(s) who creeat print jobs on our HP3000 miles away. These print jobs are sent to a netprint device routing them to a print queue on our new server. For some ...

  1. Netprint cannot send to Netware 5.1 queue

    Just moved campus to Netware 5.1. Currently we have individual(s) who creeat
    print jobs on our HP3000 miles away. These print jobs are sent to a netprint
    device routing them to a print queue on our new server. For some reason,
    though the print configs are identical to the old NetWare 4.1 server, the
    jobs never get to the new queue. Have changed firewall settings for access
    to allow prints to the server. Is there some extra security with NetWare 5.1
    that could prevent netprint jobs from accessing the NetWare printq? When the
    status of the print job is checked, "Network not ready" is displayed. Any
    Help, Please . . .

    George

  2. Re: Netprint cannot send to Netware 5.1 queue

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:17:48 -0700, George wrote:
    > Just moved campus to Netware 5.1. Currently we have individual(s) who creeat
    > print jobs on our HP3000 miles away. These print jobs are sent to a netprint
    > device routing them to a print queue on our new server.

    You just moved to NetWare 5.1? Wow. Installing Win98 workstations, too?
    Joking aside, how did you "move" from NW4.1 to NW5.1? Was this a new server
    installed, or a server upgraded in place? Did you install the new server in
    to the same tree as the old one, or make a new tree?

    What's a netprint device?

    > For some reason,
    > though the print configs are identical to the old NetWare 4.1 server, the
    > jobs never get to the new queue.

    So you created a new print queue, with the same name as the old one? You
    upgraded the server from NW4 to NW5, or you installed a new NW5 server? In
    order to put jobs in the queue, this "netprint" thing must be logged in to
    NDS; did you set up a new user object for it, or are you using the old one?
    It probably has a password, is it correct?

    Have you gone through whatever documentation and configuration software
    this "netprint" thing came with and verified that you set it up correctly?

    Is your "netprint" thing capable of logging in to NDS over an IP
    connection, or is it using IPX? Is your new NW5 server using IP, or IPX, or
    both?

    > Have changed firewall settings for access
    > to allow prints to the server.

    Why? Presumably the firewall is the same as it was before, when this thing
    was working. Unless something else changed, the firewall should be fine
    still.

    > Is there some extra security with NetWare 5.1
    > that could prevent netprint jobs from accessing the NetWare printq?

    Security? No. There's lots of things I can think of that *might* affect
    your netprint device thing, but without knowing what this device is, how
    it's configured, or how it worked before, I can't give you much help with
    getting it working now. If you also don't know how it works, maybe somebody
    else at your company does? Who set it up initially? Are they still around?

    > When the
    > status of the print job is checked, "Network not ready" is displayed. Any
    > Help, Please . . .

    What are you checking this with, and how? "Network not ready" sounds pretty
    generic and could mean almost anything.

    I'd like to help, but you need to supply more information. Or get somebody
    familiar with this device and how it works to help you with it.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | EDLIN - Easily Deleted, Lousy Incompetent Nuisance. |

  3. Re: Netprint cannot send to Netware 5.1 queue

    This is a new server, new IP, new tree, did not merge, getting rid of NW4
    server, all XP clients (missing nprint about now!). Net print loaded on the
    HP3000 has a config file called np92conf that specifies print devices and
    params. An nlm on our NW server called npnlmin.nlm is loaded with a
    "context" switch directing it to the proper context in which the NW queue
    resides.

    Upon calling Minisoft (Netprint's Dad) they wanted us to upgrade to new
    version. Yeah, college on tight budget is gonna go for that.

    Got creative and setup an external hp jedirect connected to the dot matrix
    printer that must be used for contract printing (due to muti-layer paper),
    IP printing only, punched hole in firewal, changed the np92conf file to
    reflect:

    NETPRINT D="DEVICE NAME"
    NODE "IP ADDRESS OF JETDIRECT"
    OPTIONS PTYPE=JD;PURGE;RESET
    END

    Bypassed the NLM so that contract print jobs spool directly to the jerdirect
    device.

    Works like a champ!

    Thanks for your response.

+ Reply to Thread