Advice requested please: Netware 5.1 Damaged sys: volume (error reading in the volume directory) - Netware

This is a discussion on Advice requested please: Netware 5.1 Damaged sys: volume (error reading in the volume directory) - Netware ; I have no backup! I have an IBM compat Intel P200 256mb Ram. There is no bios update to handle drives larger than 2 gb. I had a 2gb drive with a dos partition 450mb and the sys volume 1.6gb. ...

  1. Advice requested please: Netware 5.1 Damaged sys: volume (error reading in the volume directory)

    I have no backup!

    I have an IBM compat Intel P200 256mb Ram. There is no bios update to
    handle drives larger than 2 gb. I had a 2gb drive with a dos partition
    450mb and the sys volume 1.6gb. Then I have a 60gb drive with two data
    volumes. The sys volume has unrepairable physical damage. I can access
    everything on the DOS partition but cannot mount the sys volume due to the
    error noted in the subject line of this post.

    I am hoping that since it seems at this point that I have to reinstall the
    server, and that I am going to do the same setup (2gb boot drive). I would
    reinstall and then I would somehow be able to import the two data volumes
    into NDS on the new install.

    I would appreciate, being the novice networking student that I am, if
    someone would direct me in the most efficient and reliable way to restore
    this server.

    PS: I have tried Ghosting the sys partition on the boot drive to a new
    drive but ghost is unable to read the bad blocks and aborts. Funds are
    limited otherwise I would get a newer board with a BIOS that would support
    the 60gb and I would purchase some hi-priced utility designed for recovering
    netware partitions but both options are cost prohibitive for me. I
    desperately need to restore this server and the two data volumes intact.
    The failure happened at the worst possible time, I have a huge amount of
    data that I desperately need to recover and have no backup for. I will have
    to invest in a backup device.

    Thanks in advance for your help and time.

  2. Re: Advice requested please: Netware 5.1 Damaged sys: volume (error reading in the volume directory)

    Gil,

    You posted to a dead newsgroup which is no longer part of the official
    Novell support hierarchy. I suggest you visit
    http://support.novell.com/forums and post to one of the official
    Novell newsgroups.

    Marcel

  3. Re: Advice requested please: Netware 5.1 Damaged sys: volume (error reading in the volume directory)

    Gil,

    All may not yet be lost. Have you run VRepair? You can do this by
    copying VRepair.nlm to C:\NWSERVER. To do this download TOOLBOX from
    support.novell.com

    Dismount SYS then run VREPAIR from c:\nwserver. It might then allow you
    to get the server up again.

    With respect to cloning it, normal GHOST won't work. There was a GHOST
    for Netware which is, I believe no longer available or there is
    Portlock.

    Alternatively, have a look at the Netware Migration Wizard. Migrate the
    server to new hardware (A desktop PC may even be usable). Rebuild your
    server & migrate it back again.

    In article , Gil
    writes
    >I have no backup!
    >
    >I have an IBM compat Intel P200 256mb Ram. There is no bios update to
    >handle drives larger than 2 gb. I had a 2gb drive with a dos partition
    >450mb and the sys volume 1.6gb. Then I have a 60gb drive with two data
    >volumes. The sys volume has unrepairable physical damage. I can access
    >everything on the DOS partition but cannot mount the sys volume due to the
    >error noted in the subject line of this post.
    >
    >I am hoping that since it seems at this point that I have to reinstall the
    >server, and that I am going to do the same setup (2gb boot drive). I would
    >reinstall and then I would somehow be able to import the two data volumes
    >into NDS on the new install.
    >
    >I would appreciate, being the novice networking student that I am, if
    >someone would direct me in the most efficient and reliable way to restore
    >this server.
    >
    >PS: I have tried Ghosting the sys partition on the boot drive to a new
    >drive but ghost is unable to read the bad blocks and aborts. Funds are
    >limited otherwise I would get a newer board with a BIOS that would support
    >the 60gb and I would purchase some hi-priced utility designed for recovering
    >netware partitions but both options are cost prohibitive for me. I
    >desperately need to restore this server and the two data volumes intact.
    >The failure happened at the worst possible time, I have a huge amount of
    >data that I desperately need to recover and have no backup for. I will have
    >to invest in a backup device.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your help and time.

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  4. Re: Advice requested please: Netware 5.1 Damaged sys: volume (error reading in the volume directory)

    Thank you. I have run vreapir which runs with about 64k errors on the sys
    volume and then sys still won't mount.

    I will see if I can find Ghost for NetWare which may be able to handle the
    volume with errors and I will also investigate the NMW.

    Thank you again.

+ Reply to Thread