Schema objects appear to be missing - Netware

This is a discussion on Schema objects appear to be missing - Netware ; I recently encountered problems upgrading from Netware 6 to version 6.5. The actual upgrade seemed to go fine. I then installed the current service pack and updated ZenWorks to the current service pack. Still seemed to be going smoothly. Then ...

  1. Schema objects appear to be missing

    I recently encountered problems upgrading from Netware 6 to version 6.5.
    The actual upgrade seemed to go fine. I then installed the current service
    pack and updated ZenWorks to the current service pack. Still seemed to be
    going smoothly. Then upgrading to BorderManager 3.8, the roof caved in.
    The system locked up during modification of NDS, possibly due to
    incompatible version of Backup Exec. Now a number of object types are no
    longer available to NDS, including most security related ones.

    On running NWAdmin32, several existing object show an "unknown type" icon.
    When moving up a level to view tree, the security key and most stuff under
    it show the same icon. Properties cannot be viewed for these objects and
    when trying to create objects, a number of options no longer exist. I am
    unable to reinstall such things as PKI, LDAP, iManger, etc. I get errors
    saying object or value not found or similar, typically -603 or -601.

    Any ideas on how to redefine these types would be helpful. My next idea to
    try would be to remove and reinstall NICI and the licenses. Would this
    likely help? Or is there a way to re-establish the needed schema extensions
    without resorting to this? Thanks for the help.

    --
    Glenn Staffeld
    Madison Computer Works

  2. Re: Schema objects appear to be missing

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:21:06 GMT, gstaffel@merr.com wrote:
    > I recently encountered problems upgrading from Netware 6 to version 6.5.

    Is this a single-server tree, or are more than one server involved?

    > On running NWAdmin32, several existing object show an "unknown type" icon.

    What does Console1 show for these?

    > Any ideas on how to redefine these types would be helpful. My next idea to
    > try would be to remove and reinstall NICI and the licenses. Would this
    > likely help?

    It doesn't sound like a NICI problem, so I doubt it.

    > Or is there a way to re-establish the needed schema extensions
    > without resorting to this? Thanks for the help.

    Maybe. I'm not yet sure that you have a problem to solve. If the schema is
    irreparably corrupt, it's possible to reset it back to a default set of
    definitions. Then you'd have to reinstall all products that may have made
    extentions to the schema. This carries significant risk, and is more
    difficult and involved if you're dealing with a multi-server tree.

    You may want to get Novell Support involved on this one.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | RAM = Rarely Adequate Memory |

  3. Re: Schema objects appear to be missing

    > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:21:06 GMT, gstaffel@merr.com
    > wrote:
    > > I recently encountered problems upgrading from Netware 6 to version 6.5.

    > Is this a single-server tree, or are more than one server involved?

    Two servers, but all major functions loaded on one, second is basically a
    data repository for users.

    > > On running NWAdmin32, several existing object show an "unknown type"
    > > icon.

    > What does Console1 show for these?

    Console1 didn't run from server at the end, but did show same "unkown type"
    keys
    for some of the objects when it was still working. Didn't check the
    security keys at
    that point. One of my next tries was/is going to be installing Console1 to
    workstation
    and trying to see from there.

    > > Any ideas on how to redefine these types would be helpful. My next idea
    > > try would be to remove and reinstall NICI and the licenses. Would this
    > > likely help?

    > It doesn't sound like a NICI problem, so I doubt it.
    >

    > > Or is there a way to re-establish the needed schema extensions
    > > without resorting to this? Thanks for the help.

    > Maybe. I'm not yet sure that you have a problem to solve. If the schema is
    > irreparably corrupt, it's possible to reset it back to a default set of
    > definitions. Then you'd have to reinstall all products that may have made
    > extentions to the schema. This carries significant risk, and is more
    > difficult and involved if you're dealing with a multi-server tree.

    If I get to that point, is there a TID that would tell me how to reset the
    definitions?
    It wouldn't be a huge issue to reinstall other stuff if I could at least get
    the security
    area fixed.

    > You may want to get Novell Support involved on this one.

    When going to their support site, I don't see an obvious link to do so.
    Where do I
    send the question(s)?

    > --
    > | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
    > |
    > | RAM = Rarely Adequate Memory
    > |
    > | Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores.

    Thanks for the help.

    --
    Glenn Staffeld
    Madison Computer Works

  4. Re: Schema objects appear to be missing

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:43:59 GMT, gstaffel@merr.com wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:21:06 GMT, gstaffel@merr.com
    >> wrote:
    >> > I recently encountered problems upgrading from Netware 6 to version 6.5.

    >> Is this a single-server tree, or are more than one server involved?

    > Two servers, but all major functions loaded on one, second is basically a
    > data repository for users.

    If only one of them is hosed, you may be able to recover from the other
    one.

    What's the OS on the other server?

    >> irreparably corrupt, it's possible to reset it back to a default set of
    >> definitions. Then you'd have to reinstall all products that may have made
    >> extentions to the schema. This carries significant risk, and is more
    >> difficult and involved if you're dealing with a multi-server tree.

    > If I get to that point, is there a TID that would tell me how to reset the definitions?
    > It wouldn't be a huge issue to reinstall other stuff if I could at least get
    > the security area fixed.

    DSRepair -> Advanced -> Repair Local Database

    Select "Rebuild Operational Schema". Search the knowledgebase and
    Coolsolutions for what this does, and why it may or may not be a good idea
    before doing it.

    >> You may want to get Novell Support involved on this one.

    > When going to their support site, I don't see an obvious link to do so.
    > Where do I send the question(s)?

    phone:1-800-858-4000

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | I reserve the right to change, or lose, my mind without warning. |

  5. Re: Schema objects appear to be missing

    Glen,

    I have just upgraded to BM3.8 under NW6 SP4.

    Here are some thoughts:

    1 Did you upgrade eDir (NDS) on the BM server to v8.7.1 or better?
    Novell say that this is a requirement. If you did upgrade to V8.7.1 have
    you updated the master replica as well?

    2 Did you explicitly install C1 on the BM server? Again, Novell
    say that there are BM3.8 specific snap-ins needed.

    3 Do you have a read/write replica on the BM server?

    BM requires additional C1 snapins. Did you explicitly install C1 on the
    server when you installed BM3.8?

    I believe, there are also additional snapins for NWAdmin. So, if you are
    not running C1 or NWAdmin from the BM server you may not be properly
    equipped to see the new object types &, if you are lucky, you may not
    have a real problem. Note that BM installation extends the schema.

    HTH

    In article , David Gersic
    writes
    >On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:43:59 GMT, gstaffel@merr.com wrote:
    >>> Is this a single-server tree, or are more than one server involved?

    >> Two servers, but all major functions loaded on one, second is basically a
    >> data repository for users.

    >If only one of them is hosed, you may be able to recover from the other
    >one.
    >
    >What's the OS on the other server?
    >
    >>> irreparably corrupt, it's possible to reset it back to a default set of
    >>> definitions. Then you'd have to reinstall all products that may have made
    >>> extentions to the schema. This carries significant risk, and is more
    >>> difficult and involved if you're dealing with a multi-server tree.

    >> If I get to that point, is there a TID that would tell me how to
    >>reset the definitions?
    >> It wouldn't be a huge issue to reinstall other stuff if I could at least get
    >> the security area fixed.

    >DSRepair -> Advanced -> Repair Local Database
    >
    >Select "Rebuild Operational Schema". Search the knowledgebase and
    >Coolsolutions for what this does, and why it may or may not be a good idea
    >before doing it.
    >
    >>> You may want to get Novell Support involved on this one.

    >> When going to their support site, I don't see an obvious link to do so.
    >> Where do I send the question(s)?

    >phone:1-800-858-4000
    >

    >--
    >| David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    >| I reserve the right to change, or lose, my mind without warning. |
    >| Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores. |

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK