Insufficient memory to run Netware 386 - Netware

This is a discussion on Insufficient memory to run Netware 386 - Netware ; I was getting this message: "Insufficient memory to run Netware 386" when trying to install Netware 3.12 onto newer (but still circa 1998) hardware, replete with 2 SCSI drives, a SCSI CDROM and over 256MB of memory. History: 2 SCSI ...

  1. Insufficient memory to run Netware 386

    I was getting this message:

    "Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"

    when trying to install Netware 3.12 onto newer (but still circa 1998)
    hardware, replete with 2 SCSI drives, a SCSI CDROM and over 256MB of
    memory.

    History:

    2 SCSI hard drives: 3GB and 9GB.

    1st SCSI hard drive, the 3GB partitioned into 2 drives, a 500MB DOS
    partition and a 2nd partition with the remaining 2.5GB.

    I used Win98 DOS to format the DOS partition (Fat16) on the first
    500MB partition of the 3G SCSI drive (that I accessed using a Win98
    Boot disk), and put the entire cd to this dos partition from where i
    did the install. At the point where the install tries to run
    "server.exe", I get the error message above.

    "Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"

    Turns out I had inadvertently solved this problem a few days earlier
    when trying the same thing on a system with 32MB of memory, on a
    system I had formatted using DOS 7.0 (Windows 98) with an IDE drive
    attached.

    Turns out that all i had to do was add the following line in
    c:\config.sys:

    device=c:\dos\setver.exe

    "setver.exe" comes with Windows98 (in the windows dir). This allowed
    me to start up the server. I have NO clue as to why.

    Now when server.exe started, I was only seeing 16,000 Kilobytes (16M)
    of memory. Turns out the solution to THAT problem was to download the
    latest loader patch to take care of the extra memory: TID2941672 -
    ldr312ft.exe.

    Now I see 261,760 Kilobytes (256M) of memory on Netware 3.12. Yes!

    Now on to the SCSI challenge...

    Luke

  2. Re: Insufficient memory to run Netware 386

    On 10 Apr 2004 10:09:45 -0700, Luke Kandia wrote:
    > I was getting this message:
    >
    > "Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"

    [-snip-]
    > I used Win98 DOS to format the DOS partition (Fat16) on the first
    > 500MB partition of the 3G SCSI drive (that I accessed using a Win98
    > Boot disk)

    From what I recall, that's not going to work. You need MSDOS on the
    boot partition. But, beyond that, you also need to make sure that
    it didn't load himem/emm386 (it probably did) in config.sys.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Let whoever among you is without sin buy the first round. |

  3. Re: Insufficient memory to run Netware 386

    David Gersic schrieb:

    > On 10 Apr 2004 10:09:45 -0700, Luke Kandia wrote:
    >
    >>I was getting this message:
    >>
    >>"Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"

    > [-snip-]
    >
    >>I used Win98 DOS to format the DOS partition (Fat16) on the first
    >>500MB partition of the 3G SCSI drive (that I accessed using a Win98
    >>Boot disk)

    > From what I recall, that's not going to work. You need MSDOS on the
    > boot partition. But, beyond that, you also need to make sure that
    > it didn't load himem/emm386 (it probably did) in config.sys.

    I can confirm.
    We have the win95 dos and in the boot partiion and it works well if you
    disable himem/emm386

    Bye
    Andreas

  4. Re: Insufficient memory to run Netware 386

    hehe
    I wasn't asking a question, guys.
    I was telling you a small factoid.
    I had a problem "Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"
    I solved the problem:

    "all i had to do was add the following line in
    c:\config.sys:

    device=c:\dos\setver.exe

    "setver.exe" comes with Windows98 (in the windows dir). This allowed
    me to start up the server. I have NO clue as to why."

    I wasn't leaving this open for debate.
    I wasn't running Netware on top of a W98 installation.
    I used a 98 bootdisk to format the FAT16 500MB partition. Thats all.
    Nothing else in config.sys or autoexec.bat.

    I was merely leaving this on the net for posterity's sake.
    BTW, 98 runs on top of DOS. DOS 7.x

    Its quite funny watching Windows98 logo start up followed by the
    netware server.exe startup.

    Luke

    Andreas Moroder wrote in message news:...
    > David Gersic schrieb:
    >
    > > On 10 Apr 2004 10:09:45 -0700, Luke Kandia wrote:
    > >
    > >>I was getting this message:
    > >>
    > >>"Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"

    > > [-snip-]
    > >
    > >>I used Win98 DOS to format the DOS partition (Fat16) on the first
    > >>500MB partition of the 3G SCSI drive (that I accessed using a Win98
    > >>Boot disk)

    > > From what I recall, that's not going to work. You need MSDOS on the
    > > boot partition. But, beyond that, you also need to make sure that
    > > it didn't load himem/emm386 (it probably did) in config.sys.
    > >

    > I can confirm.
    > We have the win95 dos and in the boot partiion and it works well if you
    > disable himem/emm386
    >
    > Bye
    > Andreas

  5. Re: Insufficient memory to run Netware 386

    Am 17 Apr 2004 01:01:08 -0700 schrieb Luke Kandia:

    > I had a problem "Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"
    > I solved the problem:
    >
    > "all i had to do was add the following line in
    > c:\config.sys:
    >
    > device=c:\dos\setver.exe

    This is no solution, but only a work around.

    > I wasn't running Netware on top of a W98 installation.
    > I used a 98 bootdisk to format the FAT16 500MB partition. Thats all.
    > Nothing else in config.sys or autoexec.bat.

    No DOS directory with files in it, no himem.sys somewhere on the DOS
    partition? When I see, that you have \DOS\setver.exe, you probably also
    have a himem.sys there and when DOS 7.x from Win9x finds this, it WILL be
    autoloaded, even if you *don't* have a corresponding line in your
    CONFIG.SYS.

    > I was merely leaving this on the net for posterity's sake.

    Change this better for your own sake.

    If you understand german:

    3.1.32 DOS Version zum Booten des Servers

    Sie sollten sicherheitshalber kein MS DOS > 6.22 für die DOS Partition
    eines Netware Servers verwenden.

    Beispielsweise werden bei Windows 9x Versionen diverse Driver wie
    IFSHLP.SYS und HIMEM.SYS ungefragt geladen, auch wenn sie nicht in der
    CONFIG.SYS stehen. Wenn man allerdings in die config.sys als ersten Eintrag
    dos=noauto schreibt, werden diese beiden Dateien nicht geladen. Damit hat
    dann auch NetWare keine Probleme mehr solchen "DOS" Partitionen.

    Auch Novell DOS 7, das an Caldera verkauft und von denen zuerst in Open DOS
    umbenannt wurde, danach wieder in DR DOS, funktioniert problemlos.

    DR DOS 7.x wird von Novell seit Netware 4.x mit jeder Netware Version mit
    ausgeliefert (Start über die Lizenzdiskette) und wird bei Netware 5.x sogar
    über die bootfähige Installations-CD-ROM automatisch gestartet.

    Mittlerweile ist DR DOS 7.03 bei DeviceLogics gelandet, die diese
    DOS-Version für Embedded Systeme weiterentwickeln möchten.
    Infos und kostenloser Download bei http://www.drdos.com.

    (aus der Deutschen Netware FAQ unter http://www.netwarefaq.de/)

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

  6. Re: Insufficient memory to run Netware 386

    Stefan Braunstein wrote in message news:...
    > Am 17 Apr 2004 01:01:08 -0700 schrieb Luke Kandia:
    >
    > > I had a problem "Insufficient memory to run Netware 386"
    > > I solved the problem:
    > >
    > > "all i had to do was add the following line in
    > > c:\config.sys:
    > >
    > > device=c:\dos\setver.exe

    > This is no solution, but only a work around.

    Most of life is a workaround. Solutions are found at the
    end of an = sign.

    > > I wasn't running Netware on top of a W98 installation.
    > > I used a 98 bootdisk to format the FAT16 500MB partition. Thats all.
    > > Nothing else in config.sys or autoexec.bat.

    > No DOS directory with files in it, no himem.sys somewhere on the DOS
    > partition? When I see, that you have \DOS\setver.exe, you probably also
    > have a himem.sys there and when DOS 7.x from Win9x finds this, it WILL be
    > autoloaded, even if you *don't* have a corresponding line in your
    > CONFIG.SYS.

    I had to wait until I was back in front of the machine just to be sure.
    I scanned the dos directory for himem.sys (even tho I had no path going
    to the DOS directory so HOW it might be found there would be beyond me) and
    lo and behold! There was himem.sys! So I renamed it himem.old. Rebooted.
    Funny. Netware 3.12 still came up nice and fine. You really ought to
    test your theories before you plaster them for eternity here

    > > I was merely leaving this on the net for posterity's sake.

    > Change this better for your own sake.

    Why? I leave it mostly for myself as a place to come back to see
    what it was that I did to solve a problem. If someone else benefits
    from the fruits of my labor, so be it. Bonus for them!

    > If you understand german:

    No. Care to translate?

    > 3.1.32 DOS Version zum Booten des Servers
    >
    > Sie sollten sicherheitshalber kein MS DOS > 6.22 für die DOS Partition
    > eines Netware Servers verwenden.
    >
    > Beispielsweise werden bei Windows 9x Versionen diverse Driver wie
    > IFSHLP.SYS und HIMEM.SYS ungefragt geladen, auch wenn sie nicht in der
    > CONFIG.SYS stehen. Wenn man allerdings in die config.sys als ersten Eintrag
    > dos=noauto schreibt, werden diese beiden Dateien nicht geladen. Damit hat
    > dann auch NetWare keine Probleme mehr solchen "DOS" Partitionen.
    >
    > Auch Novell DOS 7, das an Caldera verkauft und von denen zuerst in Open DOS
    > umbenannt wurde, danach wieder in DR DOS, funktioniert problemlos.
    >
    > DR DOS 7.x wird von Novell seit Netware 4.x mit jeder Netware Version mit
    > ausgeliefert (Start über die Lizenzdiskette) und wird bei Netware 5.x sogar
    > über die bootfähige Installations-CD-ROM automatisch gestartet.
    >
    > Mittlerweile ist DR DOS 7.03 bei DeviceLogics gelandet, die diese
    > DOS-Version für Embedded Systeme weiterentwickeln möchten.
    > Infos und kostenloser Download bei http://www.drdos.com.
    >
    > (aus der Deutschen Netware FAQ unter http://www.netwarefaq.de/)

  7. Re: Insufficient memory to run Netware 386

    Am 4 May 2004 02:34:44 -0700 schrieb Luke Kandia:

    >> If you understand german:

    > No. Care to translate?

    My NetWare FAQ has a size of 717 KB. I don't want to translate it, neither
    some answers or the whole one.

    very short:

    If you use the DOS 7.0 from Win9x use a
    dos=noauto in the config.sys to stop autoloading drivers.

    Additional: And don't use REGISTER MEMORY either, because it splits the
    memory like in the old 640 K / extended memory days of DOS. Use the LOADER
    patch from 312ptd.exe, so that NetWare 3.x sees all the installed memory
    immediately.

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -