Long (windows) filename constrains on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:? - Netware

This is a discussion on Long (windows) filename constrains on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:? - Netware ; Is there any reason why one should not be able to save long (windows) filename on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:? Someone tells me that they are getting an 8.3 error when writing to additional DATA volumes, but that ...

  1. Long (windows) filename constrains on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:?

    Is there any reason why one should not be able to save long (windows)
    filename on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:? Someone tells me that
    they are getting an 8.3 error when writing to additional DATA volumes,
    but that they don't when writing to SYS:
    --
    David Longley

  2. Re: Long (windows) filename constrains on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:?

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:44:43 +0000, David Longley wrote:
    > Is there any reason why one should not be able to save long (windows)
    > filename on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:?

    Was the "long" or "os2" name space added to the Data volume? If not, you'll
    only get 8.3 names allowed. There also used to be a place that Windows
    would cache the information as to whether long names were supported or not,
    so even adding the support later would appear not to work until that
    particular registry key was killed. I don't know if that's still true or
    not.

    Go to the server console and type "volumes". That will show you the mounted
    volumes, and what name spaces are supported on them.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Eagles soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines! |

  3. Re: Long (windows) filename constrains on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:?

    In message , David Gersic
    writes
    >On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:44:43 +0000, David Longley
    > wrote:
    >> Is there any reason why one should not be able to save long (windows)
    >> filename on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:?

    >Was the "long" or "os2" name space added to the Data volume? If not, you'll
    >only get 8.3 names allowed. There also used to be a place that Windows
    >would cache the information as to whether long names were supported or not,
    >so even adding the support later would appear not to work until that
    >particular registry key was killed. I don't know if that's still true or
    >not.
    >
    >Go to the server console and type "volumes". That will show you the mounted
    >volumes, and what name spaces are supported on them.
    >
    >--
    >| David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    >| Eagles soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines! |
    >| Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores. |

    Thanks for that.

    I didn't specifically load the OS2 name space NLM after having created
    the two extra volumes. I'd naively assumed that as it was already loaded
    for the SYS volume all would be well. How do I ensure it is loaded for
    each extra volume?
    --
    David Longley

  4. Re: Long (windows) filename constrains on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:?

    In message <7j8xJYA8TDSAFw+P@longley.demon.co.uk>, David Longley
    writes
    >In message , David Gersic
    > writes
    >>On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:44:43 +0000, David Longley
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is there any reason why one should not be able to save long (windows)
    >>> filename on netware 3.2 volumes other than SYS:?

    >>Was the "long" or "os2" name space added to the Data volume? If not, you'll
    >>only get 8.3 names allowed. There also used to be a place that Windows
    >>would cache the information as to whether long names were supported or not,
    >>so even adding the support later would appear not to work until that
    >>particular registry key was killed. I don't know if that's still true or
    >>not.
    >>
    >>Go to the server console and type "volumes". That will show you the mounted
    >>volumes, and what name spaces are supported on them.
    >>
    >>--
    >>| David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    >>| Eagles soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines! |
    >>| Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores. |

    >Thanks for that.
    >
    >I didn't specifically load the OS2 name space NLM after having created
    >the two extra volumes. I'd naively assumed that as it was already
    >loaded for the SYS volume all would be well. How do I ensure it is
    >loaded for each extra volume?

    I looked it up, and used ADD NAME SPACE OS2 volumename

    Thanks
    --
    David Longley

+ Reply to Thread