Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ? - Netware

This is a discussion on Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ? - Netware ; i work under win98 , i search a utility that do this : i have 25 users and i want to see what they doing !!! is there a way to watch them terminals(win98 work with ipx)...

  1. Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ?

    i work under win98 , i search a utility that do this :
    i have 25 users and i want to see what they doing !!!
    is there a way to watch them terminals(win98 work with ipx)

  2. Re: Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ?

    moshe wrote:

    > i work under win98 , i search a utility that do this :
    > i have 25 users and i want to see what they doing !!!
    > is there a way to watch them terminals(win98 work with ipx)

    A NetWare server is not like *NIX, MS Term Server or Citrix. Users
    don't have 'sessions' to view.

    Under NetWare you can monitor user connections using the MONITOR.NLM
    utility which will display their network address, length of time logged
    in, read & write stats as well as any currently open files on the
    server. This is limited however to File services. To monitor other
    services such as GroupWise, BorderManager, Web etc you need to use tools
    for those applications to monitor usage (same limitations as viewing
    current sessions & open files in Windows Server Manager).

    If you need to remote control their PC look at VNC or similar.

    SteveC

  3. Re: Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ?

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:50 +0000, Stephen Carter
    graced us with:

    >moshe wrote:
    >
    >> i work under win98 , i search a utility that do this :
    >> i have 25 users and i want to see what they doing !!!
    >> is there a way to watch them terminals(win98 work with ipx)

    >A NetWare server is not like *NIX, MS Term Server or Citrix. Users
    >don't have 'sessions' to view.
    >
    >Under NetWare you can monitor user connections using the MONITOR.NLM
    >utility which will display their network address, length of time logged
    >in, read & write stats as well as any currently open files on the
    >server. This is limited however to File services. To monitor other
    >services such as GroupWise, BorderManager, Web etc you need to use tools
    >for those applications to monitor usage (same limitations as viewing
    >current sessions & open files in Windows Server Manager).
    >
    >If you need to remote control their PC look at VNC or similar.
    >
    >SteveC

    Alternatively, you could install ZenWorks; this would allow you to
    view the actual workstation screen and see exactly what they are
    doing.

    subdude

  4. Re: Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ?

    subdude wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:50 +0000, Stephen Carter
    > graced us with:
    >

    >>moshe wrote:
    >>

    >>>i work under win98 , i search a utility that do this :
    >>>i have 25 users and i want to see what they doing !!!
    >>>is there a way to watch them terminals(win98 work with ipx)

    >>A NetWare server is not like *NIX, MS Term Server or Citrix. Users
    >>don't have 'sessions' to view.
    >>
    >>Under NetWare you can monitor user connections using the MONITOR.NLM
    >>utility which will display their network address, length of time logged
    >>in, read & write stats as well as any currently open files on the
    >>server. This is limited however to File services. To monitor other
    >>services such as GroupWise, BorderManager, Web etc you need to use tools
    >>for those applications to monitor usage (same limitations as viewing
    >>current sessions & open files in Windows Server Manager).
    >>
    >>If you need to remote control their PC look at VNC or similar.
    >>
    >>SteveC

    > Alternatively, you could install ZenWorks; this would allow you to
    > view the actual workstation screen and see exactly what they are
    > doing.
    >
    > subdude

    Actually looking back at Moshes' original post, I'd agree ZENworks for
    Desktops would be best assuming his workstations have only IPX bound,
    but if IP is on the workstations as well, I'd say installing ZfD for
    remote control only is a bit of overkill.

    SteveC

  5. Re: Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ?

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:54:38 +0000, Stephen Carter
    graced us with:

    >subdude wrote:
    >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:50 +0000, Stephen Carter
    >> graced us with:

    >>>A NetWare server is not like *NIX, MS Term Server or Citrix. Users
    >>>don't have 'sessions' to view.
    >>>
    >>>Under NetWare you can monitor user connections using the MONITOR.NLM
    >>>utility which will display their network address, length of time logged
    >>>in, read & write stats as well as any currently open files on the
    >>>server. This is limited however to File services. To monitor other
    >>>services such as GroupWise, BorderManager, Web etc you need to use tools
    >>>for those applications to monitor usage (same limitations as viewing
    >>>current sessions & open files in Windows Server Manager).
    >>>
    >>>If you need to remote control their PC look at VNC or similar.
    >>>
    >>>SteveC

    >> Alternatively, you could install ZenWorks; this would allow you to
    >> view the actual workstation screen and see exactly what they are
    >> doing.
    >>
    >> subdude

    >Actually looking back at Moshes' original post, I'd agree ZENworks for
    >Desktops would be best assuming his workstations have only IPX bound,
    >but if IP is on the workstations as well, I'd say installing ZfD for
    >remote control only is a bit of overkill.
    >
    >SteveC

    I'd agree with your assessment Steve. Here's yet another thought, and
    probably even better for him...NW Small Business Suite. 25 users out
    of the box, he gets ZenWorks 3.2 free as well as GroupWise, and
    BorderManager. And if he contacts an Authorzed Partner or Reseller
    (like m'self ) he can get the whole $1600 package for FREE - all
    he has to pay for is the installation by the authorized partner!

    A great deal all the way around. I just received my pack and I'm
    going to promote the daylights out of it. Oh, I guess I just
    did...

    subdude

  6. Re: Is there a way to view station on novell 5.1 ?

    > I'd agree with your assessment Steve. Here's yet another thought, and
    > probably even better for him...NW Small Business Suite. 25 users out
    > of the box, he gets ZenWorks 3.2 free as well as GroupWise, and
    > BorderManager. And if he contacts an Authorzed Partner or Reseller
    > (like m'self ) he can get the whole $1600 package for FREE - all
    > he has to pay for is the installation by the authorized partner!
    >
    > A great deal all the way around. I just received my pack and I'm
    > going to promote the daylights out of it. Oh, I guess I just
    > did...
    >
    > subdude

    Yeah, I'm a CNS too... waiting for NSBS Starter Pack v6.5 to come out
    which shouldn't be too long seeing as NSBS 6.5 was released recently.

    SteveC

+ Reply to Thread