Adding Volumes under Netware 3.12, Mounting and Buffer Problems - Help Please - Netware

This is a discussion on Adding Volumes under Netware 3.12, Mounting and Buffer Problems - Help Please - Netware ; In migrating an existing 3.2 system from a PS/2 9595 server to a Compaq Proliant 1600, I've managed to get the new server running, and the network card and raid array functioning using Ghost for Netware and the appropriate DSK ...

  1. Adding Volumes under Netware 3.12, Mounting and Buffer Problems - Help Please

    In migrating an existing 3.2 system from a PS/2 9595 server to a Compaq
    Proliant 1600, I've managed to get the new server running, and the
    network card and raid array functioning using Ghost for Netware and the
    appropriate DSK and .LAN drivers, but I now need to use the Compaq
    1600's system's drive capacity (16GB) to increase storage for users.

    The original SYS volume has been restored, and was the only available
    volume. It was (and of course still is) 1.7GB. The new drive is a 3 x
    9GB SCSI-3 raid array which logically appears as one 17GB drive.

    I've experimented with expanding the current SYS by about 900MB which is
    fine, and I have created some new volumes:

    DATA (2GB)
    DATA2 (3GB)
    DATA3 (4GB)
    DATA4 (4GB)

    However, I now have problems loading any extra volumes beyond DATA and
    DATA2 because of buffer size, and if I try to create a volume greater
    than about 4.5GB I get a red screen error anyway.

    I'd be grateful for any advice on anything as I've forgotten most of
    what I knew! Specifically though, I cold do with some advice on:

    1. Increasing buffer number so I can mount all volumes

    2. how to use more RAM (there's 256MB installed, (64MB on old PS/2)

    3. How to give users auto access to new volumes (modify logon scripts?)

    4) any other tips

    I want to keep volume size down so they can be imaged to DOS drives

    Here's the startup

    load CPQDA386 LED
    set minimum packet receive buffers = 150
    set maximum packet receive buffers = 300
    # set auto register memory above 16 megabytes = off
    set reserved buffers below 16 meg = 300

    oOo

    (not sure why the set auto register memory was set to off, the IBM PS/2
    9595 was set up years ago).

    Here is the Autoexec (some of the old PS/2 MCA cards are still in)

    FILE SERVER NAME TESTSRVER
    IPX INTERNAL NET 6
    load c:\server.312\nb131x.nlm
    load c:\server.312\msm31x.nlm
    load c:\server.312\ethertsm.nlm
    LOAD patchman.nlm
    load lslenh.nlm
    load c:cpqnf3 slot=10001 frame=ethernet_802.2 name=ipxlan
    BIND IPX TO ipxlan2 net=a
    load c:cpqnf3 slot=10001 frame=ethernet_802.3 name=ipxlan2
    bind ipx to ipxlan2 net=b
    lOAD REMOTE SHOWME
    LOAD RSPX
    load aha1640 slot=3
    load aspicd
    load npa312
    load cdrom /newfeature

    load RAIDDCDB
    load RAIDMON

    search add syswrchute
    load aio
    load aiocomx

    load pwrchute syswrchute
    load remote preview
    load rspx

    load cxserver

    load monitor -p

    oOo

    --
    David Longley

  2. Re: Adding Volumes under Netware 3.12, Mounting and Buffer Problems - Help Please

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:09:22 +0000, David Longley wrote:
    > I'd be grateful for any advice on anything as I've forgotten most of
    > what I knew! Specifically though, I cold do with some advice on:
    > 1. Increasing buffer number so I can mount all volumes
    > 2. how to use more RAM (there's 256MB installed, (64MB on old PS/2)

    You'll have to look in to the "register memory" command. From what I
    recall, NW3 allocates its memory starting at the high end (16M, in your
    case) and works down from there. You will have to convince it ("register
    memory") that you have more than 16M, and this has to happen before the
    disk drivers load.

    > 3. How to give users auto access to new volumes (modify logon scripts?)
    > 4) any other tips
    > I want to keep volume size down so they can be imaged to DOS drives

    You can make the volumes any size you want. The DOS client will "lie" to
    the operating system and claim that it's a 4G volume.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | SYSTEM ERROR: place sacrifice on keyboard to continue. |