Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume on Restore - Netware

This is a discussion on Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume on Restore - Netware ; I'm sure this must have been asked and answered before, but I've had a look and can't find a clear answer. Using Ghost for Netware 2, having made an image of a 1.5GB drive (with 1.4GB SYS volume) how does ...

  1. Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume on Restore

    I'm sure this must have been asked and answered before, but I've had a
    look and can't find a clear answer.

    Using Ghost for Netware 2, having made an image of a 1.5GB drive (with
    1.4GB SYS volume) how does one restore the image to a 16GB drive and end
    up with a 16GB SYS volume? I can see how one can resize the NETWARE
    partition, but it seems one can only use the images original parameters
    when restoring the SYS volume, so it ends up only being the original
    1.5GB not 16GB like the partition.

    Secondly, can anyone tell me what LAN driver file I should use for the
    Compaq Proliant 1600's onboard NIC?
    --
    David Longley

  2. Re: Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume onRestore

    David Longley wrote:

    > I'm sure this must have been asked and answered before, but I've had a
    > look and can't find a clear answer.
    >
    > Using Ghost for Netware 2, having made an image of a 1.5GB drive (with
    > 1.4GB SYS volume) how does one restore the image to a 16GB drive and end
    > up with a 16GB SYS volume? I can see how one can resize the NETWARE
    > partition, but it seems one can only use the images original parameters
    > when restoring the SYS volume, so it ends up only being the original
    > 1.5GB not 16GB like the partition.

    I believe in NetWare you could always dynamically expand the volume to
    whatever size within the partition, so after the restore you'd go
    through INSTALL.NLM and modify the volume size.

    Don't forget there is a directory limit size, limiting the number of
    directories & files you can have on a volume.
    Refer to the following article and if you think you could get close to
    this, add an additional volume with your new free space instead:
    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/1202046.htm

    > Secondly, can anyone tell me what LAN driver file I should use for the
    > Compaq Proliant 1600's onboard NIC?

    From memory, CPQNF3.LAN

    SteveC

  3. Re: Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume on Restore

    In message , Stephen Carter
    writes
    >David Longley wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure this must have been asked and answered before, but I've had a
    >> look and can't find a clear answer.
    >>
    >> Using Ghost for Netware 2, having made an image of a 1.5GB drive (with
    >> 1.4GB SYS volume) how does one restore the image to a 16GB drive and end
    >> up with a 16GB SYS volume? I can see how one can resize the NETWARE
    >> partition, but it seems one can only use the images original parameters
    >> when restoring the SYS volume, so it ends up only being the original
    >> 1.5GB not 16GB like the partition.

    >I believe in NetWare you could always dynamically expand the volume to
    >whatever size within the partition, so after the restore you'd go
    >through INSTALL.NLM and modify the volume size.

    That's very helpful. Thanks. It's an e-mail server and I think there are
    something close to 55,000 files on it in that one SYS volume. So, maybe
    the idea of a new volume is a sound one as you say.

    >Don't forget there is a directory limit size, limiting the number of
    >directories & files you can have on a volume.
    >Refer to the following article and if you think you could get close to
    >this, add an additional volume with your new free space instead:
    >http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/1202046.htm
    >>
    >> Secondly, can anyone tell me what LAN driver file I should use for the
    >> Compaq Proliant 1600's onboard NIC?

    >From memory, CPQNF3.LAN
    >
    >SteveC

    That one does light up the hub, but although it does this, I can't log
    into it from a terminal (notebook). I can, to the old server. Are there
    other components that need to be loaded in the autoexec as well? It
    *looks* like it's OK, but obviously it's not. Any idea where I might get
    the right lines for the autoexec?

    --
    David Longley

  4. Re: Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume on Restore

    In message , Stephen Carter
    writes
    >David Longley wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure this must have been asked and answered before, but I've had a
    >> look and can't find a clear answer.
    >>
    >> Using Ghost for Netware 2, having made an image of a 1.5GB drive (with
    >> 1.4GB SYS volume) how does one restore the image to a 16GB drive and end
    >> up with a 16GB SYS volume? I can see how one can resize the NETWARE
    >> partition, but it seems one can only use the images original parameters
    >> when restoring the SYS volume, so it ends up only being the original
    >> 1.5GB not 16GB like the partition.

    >I believe in NetWare you could always dynamically expand the volume to
    >whatever size within the partition, so after the restore you'd go
    >through INSTALL.NLM and modify the volume size.

    That's very helpful. Thanks. It's an e-mail server and I think there are
    something close to 55,000 files on it in that one SYS volume. So, maybe
    the idea of a new volume is a sound one as you say. If I just add some
    segments to the current SYS volume, and also create a new volume, will
    all users have access to the new volume (ie the created second one)
    automatically? The problem with Ghost (as I understand it) is that if
    you create a very large volume and image it, it will image the volume by
    sectors even if the volume is empty.

    >Don't forget there is a directory limit size, limiting the number of
    >directories & files you can have on a volume.
    >Refer to the following article and if you think you could get close to
    >this, add an additional volume with your new free space instead:
    >http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/1202046.htm
    >>
    >> Secondly, can anyone tell me what LAN driver file I should use for the
    >> Compaq Proliant 1600's onboard NIC?

    >From memory, CPQNF3.LAN
    >
    >SteveC

    I've managed to get the NIC working after a little fiddling about - but
    I now need to load drivers for the IDE CD ROM on the 1600 - I can see
    IDEATA.HAM and IDECD.HAM, but I'm not sure how you load these (if
    indeed these are the drivers). Anything else I should load for the
    Proliant 1600?
    --
    David Longley

  5. Re: Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume onRestore

    > That's very helpful. Thanks. It's an e-mail server and I think there are
    > something close to 55,000 files on it in that one SYS volume. So, maybe
    > the idea of a new volume is a sound one as you say. If I just add some
    > segments to the current SYS volume, and also create a new volume, will
    > all users have access to the new volume (ie the created second one)
    > automatically? The problem with Ghost (as I understand it) is that if
    > you create a very large volume and image it, it will image the volume by
    > sectors even if the volume is empty.

    If you add a new volume only users with S rights (Admin etc) will be
    able to access files from there by default, but it's very easy to
    change. After the new volume is up and you can see it in Explorer, move
    the data you want onto there, or create new directories, and in Win
    Explorer right-click the directory you want to set rights on, select
    NetWare Trustees and add user, group containter objects and set their
    rights from there - this assumes you're doing it from a PC with a Novell
    client installed.

    On the first point, 55k files isn't that much. With DOS & LONG filename
    support it should support at least a few hundred thousand depending on
    the number of directories.

    SteveC

  6. Re: Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume on Restore

    David Longley wrote in

    > That's very helpful. Thanks. It's an e-mail server and I think there
    > are something close to 55,000 files on it in that one SYS volume. So,
    > maybe the idea of a new volume is a sound one as you say.

    A separate volume from the core OS is almost always preferable. If you
    should happen to run out of space the OS won't go down.

    >>> Secondly, can anyone tell me what LAN driver file I should use for
    >>> the Compaq Proliant 1600's onboard NIC?

    >>From memory, CPQNF3.LAN
    >>
    >>SteveC

    > That one does light up the hub, but although it does this, I can't log
    > into it from a terminal (notebook). I can, to the old server. Are
    > there other components that need to be loaded in the autoexec as well?
    > It *looks* like it's OK, but obviously it's not. Any idea where I
    > might get the right lines for the autoexec?

    You need three important lines.
    Load the protocol
    Load the LAN driver
    BIND the two above.

    Best bet is to use your old server as a template. On my IP only box I
    have the following for example. Exact syntax will vary for your
    location/network and frame type (IPX, TCP, AFP, etc.)

    LOAD TCPIP
    LOAD CE100B.LAN SLOT=10005 FRAME=ETHERNET_II FORCEDUPLEX=2 SPEED=100
    NAME=CE100B_1_EII
    BIND IP CE100B_1_EII addr=130.191.x.y mask=255.255.255.192 gate=
    130.191.x.z

  7. Re: Ghost For Netware 2, Netware 3.12 and Enlarging SYS Volume onRestore

    > David Longley wrote in

    Just checked an old 1600 at work. We're running N100.LAN drivers, but
    be careful here. The version we have is 6.38. If you apply v7.03a from
    the Proliant Support Pack it could stuff up comms (can read files but
    only write 1-2kb files then fails etc).
    Either use N100 v6.38 or v7.03b. They may have added the newer driver
    in the PSP since I last checked but just be aware of this.

    You could also use the CE100B.LAN as an alternative, but I believe the
    N100 is a little quicker.

    SteveC

+ Reply to Thread