Data Transfer - Netware

This is a discussion on Data Transfer - Netware ; Hi there I'm having real problems moving around 40Gb of data from a Netware 5.1 server to a Windows 2003 server. The data on the Netware server volume is compressed but I have made sure there is sufficient spare space ...

  1. Data Transfer

    Hi there

    I'm having real problems moving around 40Gb of data from a Netware 5.1
    server to a Windows 2003 server. The data on the Netware server volume is
    compressed but I have made sure there is sufficient spare space on the
    volume for decompression of the files.

    4Gb has taken about 3 hours so far and the transfer rate is getting slower
    and slower. Help!!

    Is there a SET setting I can modify to improve things? Maybe cache buffers
    etc.?

    Thanks a lot,

    Neil

  2. Re: Data Transfer

    Try to switch your Network-adapter to 100-full duplex (if it is 100 Mbit).
    We often had a problem with full/half-duplex, especially with 3com-Switches.
    Also check your switch for full/halfduplex.

    - EG
    D.I. Erhard Gruber
    HTL Leonding / Phone: +43-732-673368
    Abteilung Elektronik / Fax: +43-732-673324
    Limesstr. 12-14
    A-4060 Linz / email: eg@elektor.htl-leonding.ac.at
    AUSTRIA / World Wide Web: http://www.htl-leonding.ac.at

    "Neil Wells-West" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm having real problems moving around 40Gb of data from a Netware 5.1
    > server to a Windows 2003 server. The data on the Netware server volume is
    > compressed but I have made sure there is sufficient spare space on the
    > volume for decompression of the files.
    >
    > 4Gb has taken about 3 hours so far and the transfer rate is getting slower
    > and slower. Help!!
    >
    > Is there a SET setting I can modify to improve things? Maybe cache buffers
    > etc.?
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Neil

  3. Re: Data Transfer

    Neil Wells-West wrote:

    > 4Gb has taken about 3 hours so far and the transfer rate is getting slower
    > and slower. Help!!
    >
    > Is there a SET setting I can modify to improve things? Maybe cache buffers
    > etc.?

    Force the networks cards & switch ports to 100MB/ Full duplex, if
    applicable.

    Go to the command prompt and use XCOPY rather than the GUI drag & drop.

    Bud Durland, CNE budSpamBox@thedurlands.com
    (Humans will adapt)
    "There is no careful way to interrogate a Klingon"
    -- Security Chief Odo

  4. Re: Data Transfer

    Another option would be to back up the data to tape, using the force
    decompression option available in most backup software, then restore to
    the Windows box.

    I've seen where full duplex is actually the problem. If forcing NIC &
    switch port to full duplex doesn't work, try 1/2 duplex as this has also
    been touted as a workaround for some hardware compatibilities between
    NICs & switches.

    SteveC

+ Reply to Thread