bindfix error -30213 - Netware

This is a discussion on bindfix error -30213 - Netware ; I still have some netware 3.12 servers running. Every weekend I run bindfix on all of them to be sure they are OK. The most recent run showed an error I've never seen: Warning: error -30213 occurred reading property SECURITY_EQUALS ...

  1. bindfix error -30213

    I still have some netware 3.12 servers running. Every weekend I run
    bindfix on all of them to be sure they are OK. The most recent run
    showed an error I've never seen:

    Warning: error -30213 occurred reading property SECURITY_EQUALS of
    object LABDIST.

    LABDIST turned out to be a USER object. It existed on all the nw312
    servers, even the unused spare. This user could not be given a
    maildir, added to groups, or deleted. I was able to change its
    password, set its quota to zero, adn disable it, in case it was an
    attack.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

  2. Re: bindfix error -30213

    ned@cop.ufl.edu (Ned Phillips) wrote in message news:...
    > I still have some netware 3.12 servers running. Every weekend I run
    > bindfix on all of them to be sure they are OK. The most recent run
    > showed an error I've never seen:
    >
    > Warning: error -30213 occurred reading property SECURITY_EQUALS of
    > object LABDIST.
    >
    > LABDIST turned out to be a USER object. It existed on all the nw312
    > servers, even the unused spare. This user could not be given a
    > maildir, added to groups, or deleted. I was able to change its
    > password, set its quota to zero, adn disable it, in case it was an
    > attack.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    I have more info on the above topic. I found a utility called
    "bindedit" that gave me a detailed dump of the bindery. The invalid
    object is a DYNAMIC USER.

    So, my question now is, if the server is restarted, will the object
    disappear or instead prevent the server from starting?

    And can the jrbutil "delobj" delete such an object?

  3. Re: bindfix error -30213

    On 4 Feb 2004 10:00:10 -0800, Ned Phillips wrote:
    > I have more info on the above topic. I found a utility called
    > "bindedit" that gave me a detailed dump of the bindery. The invalid
    > object is a DYNAMIC USER.

    From what I recall (realizing that I haven't had a NW3 server since
    1996 or so), dynamic bindery objects are deleted every time the bindery
    is closed/opened. That would include booting the server, or running
    bindfix, or using syscon to close/open the bindery.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Let whoever among you is without sin buy the first round. |

  4. Re: bindfix error -30213

    David Gersic wrote in message news:...
    > On 4 Feb 2004 10:00:10 -0800, Ned Phillips wrote:
    > > I have more info on the above topic. I found a utility called
    > > "bindedit" that gave me a detailed dump of the bindery. The invalid
    > > object is a DYNAMIC USER.

    > From what I recall (realizing that I haven't had a NW3 server since
    > 1996 or so), dynamic bindery objects are deleted every time the bindery
    > is closed/opened. That would include booting the server, or running
    > bindfix, or using syscon to close/open the bindery.

    Our server room was cut over to a new power source this morning and
    one of the nw312 servers went down. It came back up OK but the LABDIST
    user is still there. I guess USER trumps DYNAMIC.

    I tried to delete LABDIST with the JRB utility DELOBJ. It said I
    didn't have rights to delete the object even though I was logged in as
    supervisor.

  5. Re: bindfix error -30213

    On 5 Feb 2004 04:40:16 -0800, Ned Phillips wrote:
    > Our server room was cut over to a new power source this morning and
    > one of the nw312 servers went down. It came back up OK but the LABDIST
    > user is still there. I guess USER trumps DYNAMIC.

    Maybe, maybe not. If whatever caused it to be created in the first place is
    still around, then it would be recreated as soon as the bindery was open
    and available.

    Kind of like the bindery objects used to store SAP entries. You can't ever
    see the bindery without them, unless you're *really* quick right after it
    opens. They're deleted, but as soon as the bindery opens and the first SAP
    update comes in, they're created again.

    Is this an actual problem, or just curiousity?

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | A fool and his UNIX are soon ported. |