OT: For David Gersic - a blast from the past - Netware

This is a discussion on OT: For David Gersic - a blast from the past - Netware ; Hi David, I was out in Winnebago IL last evening working on a client PC. They have a "Humor" text file with some jokes and such in it. One of them was a post from you from the NIU Connection ...

  1. OT: For David Gersic - a blast from the past

    Hi David,

    I was out in Winnebago IL last evening working on a client PC. They have a
    "Humor" text file with some jokes and such in it. One of them was a post
    from you from the NIU Connection / FidoNet.

    Thought you'd get a kick out of hearing about it.

    Regards
    Jim
    JimWilliamson.net

  2. Re: OT: For David Gersic - a blast from the past

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:11:26 GMT, Jim Williamson <1@2.edu> wrote:
    > I was out in Winnebago IL last evening working on a client PC.

    Hey, that's not far from here. You in the area often?

    > They have a
    > "Humor" text file with some jokes and such in it. One of them was a post
    > from you from the NIU Connection / FidoNet.

    Oh, lord. Yeah, that'd be old. That got shut down in 1996. And it's sort of
    topical, even, as it was shut down because I was too busy to keep it up due
    to that being the summer that we started out NetWare 3.11 to 4.1 upgrades.
    That was a *very* busy summer.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | "Captain, we've found a robot tailor." .. "Make it sew!" |

  3. Re: OT: For David Gersic - a blast from the past

    David Gersic wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:11:26 GMT, Jim Williamson <1@2.edu> wrote:
    >> I was out in Winnebago IL last evening working on a client PC.

    >Hey, that's not far from here. You in the area often?

    Not too often any more. I just resigned (about 2 weeks ago) from most of
    the remaining set of DeKalb clients (too busy here in Rockford). I still
    have one client that is just north of the student center parking lot though
    (will be back to see them probably next week). I believe you stopped into
    my shop many moons ago - the Computer Lab - that was between the Deli and
    Record Rev. I'm still at it. Currently working with a NetWare 6 box with
    a large client. Oh, and yes, that Winnebago client - I deactivated a
    NetWare LITE setup that they used to use (three PC's).

    Say, you've been a NetWare guy for as long as I can remember. Do you do
    anything with Windows networks? Any major mix of the two?

  4. Re: OT: For David Gersic - a blast from the past

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:05:45 GMT, Jim Williamson <1@2.edu> wrote:
    > have one client that is just north of the student center parking lot though
    > (will be back to see them probably next week). I believe you stopped into
    > my shop many moons ago - the Computer Lab

    Yes, I remember that place.

    > a large client. Oh, and yes, that Winnebago client - I deactivated a
    > NetWare LITE setup that they used to use (three PC's).

    Ugh. I think I still have a copy of that somewhere. Yuck.

    > Say, you've been a NetWare guy for as long as I can remember. Do you do
    > anything with Windows networks? Any major mix of the two?

    Major mix. Here, we have NetWare, Linux, Solaris, MVS (OS/390, or whatever
    they're calling it now), and Windows on the network. We're adding AIX.

    Currently, I'm the Directory Services guy, working on provisioning all of
    this with DirXML, so that new hires in PeopleSoft get an account (eDir,
    NetWare), a mailbox (GroupWise), and a phone number from the phone system.
    They'll also get an account in MAD, which may get them additional resources
    and such in departmental areas. When they are temporarily suspended
    (PeopleSoft), their accounts get suspended as well. When they are
    terminated, their accounts get removed.

    This also applies to the students, though that's currently being done via
    home-grown tools that we've been using since 1996 (last major re-write).
    We're converting our student information system from home-grown mainframe
    application to PeopleSoft, though, so I'll have to re-write all of the
    stuff I wrote, but via DirXML instead.

    I use, and like, NetWare. But my current scope is much broader than that.
    We have lots of stuff, on many operating systems, and my purpose is to make
    it possible and relatively easy to access it for the end users, with
    reasonable security and within whatever governing policies may exist.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Bad or missing mouse - boot the Cat (Y/n)? |

  5. Re: OT: For David Gersic - a blast from the past

    David Gersic wrote:

    >> Say, you've been a NetWare guy for as long as I can remember. Do you do
    >> anything with Windows networks? Any major mix of the two?

    >Major mix. Here, we have NetWare, Linux, Solaris, MVS (OS/390, or whatever
    >they're calling it now), and Windows on the network. We're adding AIX.
    >
    >Currently, I'm the Directory Services guy, working on provisioning all of
    >this with DirXML, so that new hires in PeopleSoft get an account (eDir,
    >NetWare), a mailbox (GroupWise), and a phone number from the phone system.
    >They'll also get an account in MAD, which may get them additional resources
    >and such in departmental areas. When they are temporarily suspended
    >(PeopleSoft), their accounts get suspended as well. When they are
    >terminated, their accounts get removed.
    >
    >This also applies to the students, though that's currently being done via
    >home-grown tools that we've been using since 1996 (last major re-write).
    >We're converting our student information system from home-grown mainframe
    >application to PeopleSoft, though, so I'll have to re-write all of the
    >stuff I wrote, but via DirXML instead.
    >
    >I use, and like, NetWare. But my current scope is much broader than that.
    >We have lots of stuff, on many operating systems, and my purpose is to make
    >it possible and relatively easy to access it for the end users, with
    >reasonable security and within whatever governing policies may exist.

    Ah, what fun!

    Best wishes,
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread