NSS File size limit - Netware

This is a discussion on NSS File size limit - Netware ; Someone _please_ help me! I've created a NSS volume just before christmas, but is seems like there is a filesize limit at 4.0Gb. This should not be! So I read somewhere that there could be a limit in the communication ...

  1. NSS File size limit

    Someone _please_ help me!
    I've created a NSS volume just before christmas,
    but is seems like there is a filesize limit at 4.0Gb.
    This should not be!

    So I read somewhere that there could be a limit in the
    communication between the client and server when transferring
    large (approx 7Gb) files. The client is WinXP running client 4.90.

    So I split the files. Then I merged them together on the server
    using a simple java application.
    Should have read the docs. The JVM had a 4Gb limit. Duh!

    Next I actually read (wow!) the limitations-section for perl
    on netware. No such filesize-limits. Or so I thought.
    After creating and running a perl-script joining the parts
    together i found out that the merged files was... 4.0Gb. *sigh*
    The very same script runs just fine on win32 and linux, mind you.

    Thus I suspect that I've done something wrong when creating
    the NSS volume. Or perl has some undocumented limit.

    Can anyone give me some hints? Pretty, pretty please with shugar on top!

    Or point me to some (preferably free) .NLM that merges files?
    I tried "The CNW Commander". Nice enough, but the split/merge
    uses some infofile (.CRC) of its own. :-P

    The server is running Netware 5.

    yours,
    Henrik

  2. Re: NSS File size limit

    On 20 Jan 2004 01:39:57 -0800, HenrikM wrote:
    > Someone _please_ help me!
    > I've created a NSS volume just before christmas,
    > but is seems like there is a filesize limit at 4.0Gb.
    > This should not be!

    I could be wrong, but I believe that to get the >4G files support in NSS
    that you have to be running NetWare 6 or later, in addition to using
    Client32 4.90 or later.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else? |

  3. Re: NSS File size limit

    David Gersic wrote in message news:...

    > I could be wrong, but I believe that to get the >4G files support in NSS
    > that you have to be running NetWare 6 or later, in addition to using
    > Client32 4.90 or later.

    Thanks for answering so quickly.
    But I have to disagree with you. Made a quick search this morning and
    found:
    "NSS was introduced with Support Pack 1 for NetWare 5 as a
    high-performance file system capable of supporting Terabyte-sized
    files and billions of directory listings."

    (OK. Not a novell URL, but I'm in a haste...)

    And I am using Clinet32 v4.90.

    /Henrik

  4. Re: NSS File size limit

    In article <88a0d627.0401202255.5203fc58@posting.google.com>, HenrikM
    wrote:
    > Thanks for answering so quickly.
    > But I have to disagree with you. Made a quick search this morning and
    > found:

    Alas, you have been blinded by typical misleading marketing documents.
    The truth is the following:

    * The NSS design does indeed use 64bit values everywhere and so allows
    file sizes bigger than 4GB

    * With the release of Nw 5.0, Novell does indeed include NSS which in
    theory allows to use files bigger than 4GB. However at the time of the
    NW 5.0 release, Novell didn't even have an API to handle files bigger
    than 4GB. So while NSS in theory supported it, it was absolutely
    impossible to write a program that could actually use this feature.

    * Later in the Nw 5.x life cycle, Novell added the new 64bit file APIs
    to their CLIB. This now allowed selected server based applications to
    handle files bigger than 4GB. However those applications had to be
    specially written for the new API

    * All the time, the NCP protocol used by Novell clients to access the
    servers was not ready for 64bit file access. 64bit support was only
    added on the server side in NW6SP1 (or maybe SP2) and on the client
    side with the 4.90 client.

    All this boils down to the following 64bit file access support list:

    NW 5.x: Only 64bit support for server based applications that are
    written to the new APIs. No client side 64bit support

    NW 6.0: Partial 64bit support. Some protocols support it, others don't

    NW 6.5: Full 64bit support for all protocols that potentially support
    it

    Marcel

  5. Re: NSS File size limit

    Now THAT is an Answer. :-)
    You're right. I'm easily blinded by marketing documents.
    Guess that's one of the drawbacks of being a techie...

    I have to confess that my earlier info was incorrect. I've only
    worked here at school for nearly 3 months now. Haven't had the
    time to check all versions. Correct info:
    Server version Novell NetWare 5.1 - February 27 2003

    So if I download the CLIB there is slight chance that I
    can develop an NLM that can merge the pieces together on
    the server?
    (Assuming I can find the time to learn a new API. *sigh*)

    If I can find some examples that should not be an insurmountable
    task, me being a former (pretty decent) programmer and all.
    (Hope none of my friends will ever read that last statement. They'll
    laugh themselves to death!)
    BTW, I found this the other day. Haven't examined it too closely
    yet. Remove the filename from the FTP-url mentioned in the thread
    to get a directory listing. Guess it's because of a version change.

    You wrote that the API had support for 64bit addressing in NW 5.x.
    Does that include my 5.1 server? Which SP, or whatever novell calls
    those update-bundles, should I have?

    Why do I ask this instead of looking for the answer myself? Well,
    I'd rather not be fooled by marketing mumbo-jumbo again. :-P

    yours,
    Henrik

    Marcel Cox wrote in message news:...
    > In article <88a0d627.0401202255.5203fc58@posting.google.com>, HenrikM
    > wrote:
    > > Thanks for answering so quickly.
    > > But I have to disagree with you. Made a quick search this morning and
    > > found:
    > >

    > Alas, you have been blinded by typical misleading marketing documents.
    > The truth is the following:
    >
    > * The NSS design does indeed use 64bit values everywhere and so allows
    > file sizes bigger than 4GB
    >
    > * With the release of Nw 5.0, Novell does indeed include NSS which in
    > theory allows to use files bigger than 4GB. However at the time of the
    > NW 5.0 release, Novell didn't even have an API to handle files bigger
    > than 4GB. So while NSS in theory supported it, it was absolutely
    > impossible to write a program that could actually use this feature.
    >
    > * Later in the Nw 5.x life cycle, Novell added the new 64bit file APIs
    > to their CLIB. This now allowed selected server based applications to
    > handle files bigger than 4GB. However those applications had to be
    > specially written for the new API
    >
    > * All the time, the NCP protocol used by Novell clients to access the
    > servers was not ready for 64bit file access. 64bit support was only
    > added on the server side in NW6SP1 (or maybe SP2) and on the client
    > side with the 4.90 client.
    >
    > All this boils down to the following 64bit file access support list:
    >
    > NW 5.x: Only 64bit support for server based applications that are
    > written to the new APIs. No client side 64bit support
    >
    > NW 6.0: Partial 64bit support. Some protocols support it, others don't
    >
    > NW 6.5: Full 64bit support for all protocols that potentially support
    > it
    >
    > Marcel

  6. Re: NSS File size limit

    Suppose I would find some way to merge the files serverside.
    It would be of no use anyway. I would just end up with a
    ~7Gb large file that no one on my network could access.

    Silly me.

    As long as Novell does not fix this (basic!) feature I'll
    just have to store the file on some Linux (or maybe MS) server.

    Thanks for enlightening me. Trying to find info on Novells
    site about what i can/cannot do with NSS+NetWare is kind of
    futile... :-/

    humbly yours,
    Henrik

  7. Re: NSS File size limit

    In article <88a0d627.0401212240.11097b7e@posting.google.com>, HenrikM
    wrote:
    > So if I download the CLIB there is slight chance that I
    > can develop an NLM that can merge the pieces together on
    > the server?
    > (Assuming I can find the time to learn a new API. *sigh*)

    If you install a relatively current support pack (SP4 or later for NW
    5.1), you will have the required clib.
    If you want to program, you should be aware that there are 2 C
    libraries which you can program to. The older CLIB which allows
    downward compatibility to older (5.0 or below) NetWare versions, and
    the new LIBC which is only available on NW 5.1 or above. Unless you
    need downward compatibility, LIBC is the recommended way to go. It is
    close to Posix and fully mutithreaded with Posix threads support. It
    also incldues the 64bit file APIs.

    You can find both sets here:

    http://developer.novell.com/ndk/downloadaz.htm

    The old CLIB is called "NLM and NetWare Libraries for C (including CLIB
    and XPlat)" and the newer LIBC is called "Libraries for C (LibC)"

    If you don't have a C compiler that supports Netware, then the free
    OpenWatcom will do:
    http://www.openwatcom.org/
    Starting with version 1.2, it now supports programming to LIBC (older
    versions only supported CLIB on NetWare)

    Marcel

  8. Re: NSS File size limit

    On 22 Jan 2004 02:16:14 -0800, HenrikM wrote:
    > As long as Novell does not fix this (basic!) feature I'll
    > just have to store the file on some Linux (or maybe MS) server.

    They did fix it. They released NetWare 6.5. Upgrade, and you'll find that
    it works fine.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | OSI Layers - People don't need to see Paula Abdul. |