Can I.. .. .. - Netware

This is a discussion on Can I.. .. .. - Netware ; ..... .... Insert a HDD in a computer with Windows Installed and then afterwards "read" whatever is on the partition ? Michael...

  1. Can I.. .. ..

    ..... ....
    Insert a HDD in a computer with Windows Installed and then afterwards "read"
    whatever is on the partition ?

    Michael

  2. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    "Michael Vilhelmsen" wrote:

    >.... ....
    >Insert a HDD in a computer with Windows Installed and then afterwards "read"
    >whatever is on the partition ?

    Using the native capabilities of Windows you will only see the partitions
    that it knows about. There may be third party software packages that will
    allow you to see "other" partitions it doesn't know how to read.

    If you're asking if you could take a NetWare paritioned drive (which
    NetWare partition type) and view it in a Windows system - Windows itself
    won't touch it. It may be possible for a third party app but I don't know
    of any (never looked though).

  3. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    1@2.edu (Jim Williamson) wrote:

    >"Michael Vilhelmsen" wrote:
    >
    >>.... ....
    >>Insert a HDD in a computer with Windows Installed and then afterwards "read"
    >>whatever is on the partition ?

    >Using the native capabilities of Windows you will only see the partitions
    >that it knows about. There may be third party software packages that will
    >allow you to see "other" partitions it doesn't know how to read.
    >
    >If you're asking if you could take a NetWare paritioned drive (which
    >NetWare partition type) and view it in a Windows system - Windows itself
    >won't touch it. It may be possible for a third party app but I don't know
    >of any (never looked though).

    In re-reading your question - I assumed you were putting a NetWare
    partitioned drive into a Windows box. Is this correct? Please be more
    specific if I'm off base here.

  4. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    Ok.

    I was putting a harddrive into my machine with has a windows XP installed.

    I konw that Windows can't see anything on the disc.

    But I was wondering (as you your selfelf found out) if I by any 3. party
    software could read the information of the NetWare Partion.

    This is because I have a machine with a dead board, and wnat to retrieve
    some data from a NetWare partion.. .. ..

    Regards
    Michael

    "Jim Williamson" <1@2.edu> skrev i en meddelelse
    > 1@2.edu (Jim Williamson) wrote:
    >
    > >"Michael Vilhelmsen" wrote:
    > >
    > >>.... ....
    > >>Insert a HDD in a computer with Windows Installed and then afterwards

    "read"
    > >>whatever is on the partition ?

    > >Using the native capabilities of Windows you will only see the partitions
    > >that it knows about. There may be third party software packages that

    will
    > >allow you to see "other" partitions it doesn't know how to read.
    > >
    > >If you're asking if you could take a NetWare paritioned drive (which
    > >NetWare partition type) and view it in a Windows system - Windows itself
    > >won't touch it. It may be possible for a third party app but I don't

    know
    > >of any (never looked though).

    > In re-reading your question - I assumed you were putting a NetWare
    > partitioned drive into a Windows box. Is this correct? Please be more
    > specific if I'm off base here.

  5. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    "Michael Vilhelmsen" wrote:

    >Ok.
    >
    >I was putting a harddrive into my machine with has a windows XP installed.
    >
    >I konw that Windows can't see anything on the disc.
    >
    >But I was wondering (as you your selfelf found out) if I by any 3. party
    >software could read the information of the NetWare Partion.
    >
    >This is because I have a machine with a dead board, and wnat to retrieve
    >some data from a NetWare partion.. .. ..

    http://www.powerquest.com/servermagic/

    This may be an option - but it might be less expensive to get that drive to
    simply boot with a new board. You may only need to reload HD controller &
    network card drivers.

  6. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    In article <3ff1396e$0$140$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, Michael
    Vilhelmsen writes
    >Ok.
    >
    >I was putting a harddrive into my machine with has a windows XP installed.
    >
    >I konw that Windows can't see anything on the disc.
    >
    >But I was wondering (as you your selfelf found out) if I by any 3. party
    >software could read the information of the NetWare Partion.
    >
    >This is because I have a machine with a dead board, and wnat to retrieve
    >some data from a NetWare partion.. .. ..

    ISTR that various distros of Linux (SuSE in particular) come with utils
    that will read NetWare partitions...
    --
    Nick

  7. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    "Nick" wrote in message

    > ISTR that various distros of Linux (SuSE in particular) come with utils
    > that will read NetWare partitions...

    Just what I was about to mention...

    You can get NWFS for Linux. This allows Linux to read a NetWare disk
    directly.

    (There's all sorts of other toys as well, but they're not relevant to
    this thread...)

    Unfortunately, I can't find a live link to the download at present, but
    I've got a copy around here somewhere - feel free to mail me if you want
    it

    Vic.

  8. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    Hi

    I thank you all for your replys.

    I'll what I find out.

    Michael

    "Michael Vilhelmsen" skrev i en meddelelse
    news:3fefe13a$0$152$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk. ..
    > .... ....
    > Insert a HDD in a computer with Windows Installed and then afterwards

    "read"
    > whatever is on the partition ?
    >
    > Michael

  9. Re: Can I.. .. ..

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:38:06 +0100 Michael Vilhelmsen wrote:

    > I was putting a harddrive into my machine with has a windows XP installed.

    ...snip..

    > This is because I have a machine with a dead board, and wnat to retrieve
    > some data from a NetWare partion.. .. ..

    Why not replace the existing disk with your NetWare disk and then boot
    it up as a temporary server.

    HTH

    Simon

+ Reply to Thread