Netware 6 Slow Throughput HIGH retransmissions - Netware

This is a discussion on Netware 6 Slow Throughput HIGH retransmissions - Netware ; Here is my problem, three of my clients are all complaining about the same problem which is that, the program I support, which stores its files in comma delimited text files on the novell server, is going extreamly slow. Most ...

  1. Netware 6 Slow Throughput HIGH retransmissions

    Here is my problem, three of my clients are all complaining about the
    same problem which is that, the program I support, which stores its
    files in comma delimited text files on the novell server, is going
    extreamly slow. Most of my clients run netware 5 or 5.1 some still
    run 3.2 or 4.2, the problem only seems to happen with netware 6
    (haven't tried 6.5 yet). All the Clients have Duel Processor Zeon
    systems 2 out of 3 of them have raid 5. 2 out of the 3 of them are on
    a simple hub while the other is on a Power Edge 4248 switch. Since 2
    out of 3 of the clients reqire ipx support in order to print from our
    program via windows 98, they are running duel ipx/ip. The 1st client
    was just put to pure ip which has helped slightly but not totally.
    They all have 2gigs of ram which should more then handle the services
    running on this server and the processors generally only peek when the
    backup is going through late at night. Now comparatively speaking my
    office and other clients of mine run 5 or 5.1 and dont see this
    problem. When I went into tcpcon on all the clients I found something
    very odd. Where my server in my office and other clients of mine
    generally have less then .01% retransmissions these clients in
    particular all have between .5% and 2% retransmissions. Also these
    servers replaced other servers generally 4.2 or 5.0 servers which had
    been having no problems in respect to the speed prior to NW6. I have
    installed service pack 3 on all 3 servers. I have tried serveral
    different settings trying to find a culprit, including turning off
    level 2 oplocks and client file cacheing. I have used the
    "recommended settings" from one of novells tech sheet and have set the
    retransmission timeout to 2,4, and 8. never seeing a change. I've
    spent 2 weeks trying troubleshoothing this and have gotten very
    fustrated. Ohh 1 more thing, sad to say there is also a 2000 server
    on one of these networks, which when I do timed read/writes of dummy
    data files to the nt server it goes 4 times as quick as the novell
    server. Generally speaking novell servers service this test faster.
    So I know its not directly related to the wireing or hubs/switches.

    Client 1) 30 users
    Client 2) 10 users
    Client 3) 15 users

    Sincerly,

    Henry R. Prins Jr.
    Multi Data Services
    hprins@multidataservices.com

  2. Re: Netware 6 Slow Throughput HIGH retransmissions

    Go so server console and set the following parms:

    set TCP Nagle Algorithm=off
    set TCP Delayed Acknowledgment=off

    If you are using NSS Volumes, set the "NSS CACHE BALANCE PERCENT" to 80% (60% default). Keep OPLOCK disabled on the server side. Are you dropping packets due to insufficient buffers? This next issue is critical. If the server is attached to a managed switch, make sure that the NIC is not set to AUTO detect. Force the NIC to match the port settings on the switch. Capture a trace of the client bootup. Does the workstation negotiate Packet Burst with the server? During the file copy, you will see where the delays are in the trace. Server side or client side. You can use NETMON or a Novell util "pktscan102.EXE" to get a trace from the server.

    Another thing to try is setting up the Netware Server Volume as a Windows Share. Try the same test using CIFS. Do you get the same issue. Try an FTP transfer to the same volume, same issue? This can aid in nailing the problem down.

    Craig L Winberg
    Office 801-861-8261
    Cell 801-362-9842
    cwinberg@novell.com
    Novell, Inc., The leading provider of informatioN solutioNs
    www.novell.com

    >>> Ron 12/23/2003 2:05:09 PM >>>

    Here is my problem, three of my clients are all complaining about the
    same problem which is that, the program I support, which stores its
    files in comma delimited text files on the novell server, is going
    extreamly slow. Most of my clients run netware 5 or 5.1 some still
    run 3.2 or 4.2, the problem only seems to happen with netware 6
    (haven't tried 6.5 yet). All the Clients have Duel Processor Zeon
    systems 2 out of 3 of them have raid 5. 2 out of the 3 of them are on
    a simple hub while the other is on a Power Edge 4248 switch. Since 2
    out of 3 of the clients reqire ipx support in order to print from our
    program via windows 98, they are running duel ipx/ip. The 1st client
    was just put to pure ip which has helped slightly but not totally.
    They all have 2gigs of ram which should more then handle the services
    running on this server and the processors generally only peek when the
    backup is going through late at night. Now comparatively speaking my
    office and other clients of mine run 5 or 5.1 and dont see this
    problem. When I went into tcpcon on all the clients I found something
    very odd. Where my server in my office and other clients of mine
    generally have less then .01% retransmissions these clients in
    particular all have between .5% and 2% retransmissions. Also these
    servers replaced other servers generally 4.2 or 5.0 servers which had
    been having no problems in respect to the speed prior to NW6. I have
    installed service pack 3 on all 3 servers. I have tried serveral
    different settings trying to find a culprit, including turning off
    level 2 oplocks and client file cacheing. I have used the
    "recommended settings" from one of novells tech sheet and have set the
    retransmission timeout to 2,4, and 8. never seeing a change. I've
    spent 2 weeks trying troubleshoothing this and have gotten very
    fustrated. Ohh 1 more thing, sad to say there is also a 2000 server
    on one of these networks, which when I do timed read/writes of dummy
    data files to the nt server it goes 4 times as quick as the novell
    server. Generally speaking novell servers service this test faster.
    So I know its not directly related to the wireing or hubs/switches.

    Client 1) 30 users
    Client 2) 10 users
    Client 3) 15 users

    Sincerly,