users loosing access - Netware

This is a discussion on users loosing access - Netware ; My network is simple: A netware 3.x box, now all the data is on a Win2k server with Netware installed. So the Netware box does authentication, the Win2000 server holds the sysvol folder and data. Now for the LAN. There ...

  1. users loosing access

    My network is simple:

    A netware 3.x box, now all the data is on a Win2k server with Netware
    installed. So the Netware box does authentication, the Win2000 server
    holds the sysvol folder and data.

    Now for the LAN. There was two 10based T hubs which I replaced. Now
    there is a 16 port switch (SMC)leading to all the workstations and the
    server. From there one port leads to a LANNET Repeater running
    thinnet coax to the Novell box. There is also a port going to the SMC
    4 port gateway which has a WAN port running to the DSL Bridge.

    Last week I installed LANSuite software which is an all IP based
    mail/web/proxy server. Before I replaced the hubs I moved some cables
    from the hub to the gateway (it has 4 ports and they are 10/100,
    right?). All of a sudden. people are complaing of being "kicked out"
    of the apps that access the data on the 2000 server. The data is
    being offered by Netware File and Print Services. I watched one
    station where Peachtree was hanging and I opened explore to the Novell
    drive and all of a sudden Peachtree came back to life.

    What is causing this problem or more importantly, how can I isolate
    it?

    As I sit here I am getting a good view of the thinnet repeater and at
    times it lights up like a christmas tree.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: users loosing access

    In article <4559fe00.0310021031.196dbab5@posting.google.com>, Ralph
    Shumway wrote:
    > As I sit here I am getting a good view of the thinnet repeater and at
    > times it lights up like a christmas tree.

    Sounds very much like you likely have a physical layer problem. One
    issue could be that the wiring isn't quite up to 100Mbs, so forcing the
    workstations to 10Mbs might stabilize things nicely. Also take a good
    look at all your connections as loose connector can cause all kinds of
    problems. A rule of thumb, don't go cheap on the cable and
    installation as trouble shooting them can be a very painful process.

    Its a pity none of your platforms have much in the way of port
    statistics available. NetWare didn't get much until 4.x, Windows
    really hasn't gotten any, so seeing what line level errors will require
    getting a real protocol analyzer into the equation to see what is
    actually happening on the wire.

    Andy Konecny
    Ainsworth Inc. Toronto, Canada
    [are you following the Directory Enabled Net Infrastructure Model]
    The real action for Novell peer support, see
    http://support.novell.com/forums/

  3. Re: users loosing access

    Thanks for the reply Andy. I came in this morning to "very slow"
    network and immediately forced the systems on autonegotiate to 10mps.
    Do you recommend full or half duplex?

    I am awaitingto see where we go from here.

    Send me an email directly if you don't mind so I can thank you
    "off-group".

    Ralph Shumway
    ralph@rgahomecare.com

  4. Re: users loosing access

    > Its a pity none of your platforms have much in the way of port
    > statistics available. NetWare didn't get much until 4.x, Windows
    > really hasn't gotten any, so seeing what line level errors will require
    > getting a real protocol analyzer into the equation to see what is
    > actually happening on the wire.

    OK.

    I've installed Etherscan Analyzer. Whhich packet types will help me
    see problems such as we have discussed here? How do I see line level
    errors?

  5. Re: users loosing access

    Ralph Shumway wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Andy. I came in this morning to "very slow"
    > network and immediately forced the systems on autonegotiate to 10mps.

    I haven't used anything Microsoft for quite some time, but
    the MS drivers used to have major problems with
    autonegotiate. Force the wire speed and frame type, i.e.
    Ethernet or Fast Ethernet; 802.2 or 802.3.

    > Do you recommend full or half duplex?

    Full duplex requires a switch port or router since
    collisions are not detected. Reading your original it looks
    like you have a switch, so that shouldn't be an issue.

    --
    Kevin D. Snodgrass
    kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  6. Re: users loosing access

    In article <3F7DB0DE.3060804@spamcop.net>, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
    > MS drivers used to have major problems with
    > autonegotiate. Force the frame type, i.e.
    > 802.2 or 802.3.

    Yes, this certainly is a known issue as well and your recent changes
    could have triggered this problem. I've had to do this once over a
    700+ PC network, but at that level you do registry edits from the login
    script, sounds like you have few enough that it is easiest to do
    manually. Just make sure it matches what is on the NetWare server
    which is most likely 802.3. If both are present, 802.2 is the
    preferred, but usually not an issue sufficient to go through switching
    over to it.

    Andy Konecny
    Ainsworth Inc. Toronto, Canada
    [are you following the Directory Enabled Net Infrastructure Model]
    The real action for Novell peer support, see
    http://support.novell.com/forums/

  7. Re: users loosing access

    In article <3F7DB0DE.3060804@spamcop.net>, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
    > Full duplex requires a switch port or router since
    > collisions are not detected. Reading your original it looks
    > like you have a switch, so that shouldn't be an issue.

    Ideally yes, but as seen before, autonegotiate has been a known
    problem even at this level even though not as bad a problem as speed
    and frame type negotiation.

    Andy Konecny
    Ainsworth Inc. Toronto, Canada
    [are you following the Directory Enabled Net Infrastructure Model]
    The real action for Novell peer support, see
    http://support.novell.com/forums/

  8. Re: users loosing access

    In article <4559fe00.0310030803.5d08816@posting.google.com>, Ralph
    Shumway wrote:
    > I've installed Etherscan Analyzer. Whhich packet types will help me
    > see problems such as we have discussed here? How do I see line level
    > errors?

    The trick is that you need a NIC that doesn't autofilter out bad or
    damaged packets. I'm not sure which NICs qualify for that any more as
    the environments I work in gather that level of issues at the Cisco
    Switches, leaving a clean playing field for looking at application
    layer issues. I know that 3Com was one of the first NIC manufactures
    that built such normally very useful features into their products, so
    recommendation is to use the cheaper & older NICs for such testing.
    Etherscan isn't one I've used so I can't help you with it.

    Good luck.

    Andy Konecny
    Ainsworth Inc. Toronto, Canada
    [are you following the Directory Enabled Net Infrastructure Model]
    The real action for Novell peer support, see
    http://support.novell.com/forums/

  9. Re: users loosing access

    In article <4559fe00.0310030718.3b38de3d@posting.google.com>, Ralph
    Shumway wrote:
    > I came in this morning to "very slow"
    > network and immediately forced the systems on autonegotiate to 10mps.
    > Do you recommend full or half duplex?

    So did that help at all?
    Half duplex is the safer of the two, especially for troubleshooting,
    but the important thing is that both ends of the connection are the
    same, so if into a hub it should be halfduplex at the client, if into
    a switch then make sure the switch port is set to the same as the
    client.

    For direct contact, we want NOSPAM taken out of the already posted
    address. For future reference, you don't want to post a real address in
    a newsgroup as the spammers do harvest from here as I have found out
    when I missed spamproofing it as it is now.

    Andy Konecny
    Ainsworth Inc. Toronto, Canada
    [are you following the Directory Enabled Net Infrastructure Model]
    The real action for Novell peer support, see
    http://support.novell.com/forums/

  10. Re: users loosing access

    Ok, one and all, here it is.

    When I first showed up to this sight I added an SMC Barricade 7004VBR
    Gatewate/Router inbetween the network and their DSL connection. I
    removed it and the problem vanished. Go figure...

    Anythoughts or comments?

    Andy Konecny wrote in message news:...
    > In article <4559fe00.0310030803.5d08816@posting.google.com>, Ralph
    > Shumway wrote:
    > > I've installed Etherscan Analyzer. Whhich packet types will help me
    > > see problems such as we have discussed here? How do I see line level
    > > errors?
    > >

    > The trick is that you need a NIC that doesn't autofilter out bad or
    > damaged packets. I'm not sure which NICs qualify for that any more as
    > the environments I work in gather that level of issues at the Cisco
    > Switches, leaving a clean playing field for looking at application
    > layer issues. I know that 3Com was one of the first NIC manufactures
    > that built such normally very useful features into their products, so
    > recommendation is to use the cheaper & older NICs for such testing.
    > Etherscan isn't one I've used so I can't help you with it.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >

    > Andy Konecny
    > Ainsworth Inc. Toronto, Canada
    > [are you following the Directory Enabled Net Infrastructure Model]
    > The real action for Novell peer support, see
    > http://support.novell.com/forums/

+ Reply to Thread