NW4.11 - creating new partitions - Netware

This is a discussion on NW4.11 - creating new partitions - Netware ; Hi folks, Hope is isn't too daft a question, but I've set up a NW 4.11 machine, using a 10 GB Hard Disk. Everything has been really straight forward, but now it's finished, I have a Dos Partition, (of about ...

  1. NW4.11 - creating new partitions

    Hi folks,

    Hope is isn't too daft a question, but I've set up a NW 4.11 machine, using
    a 10 GB Hard Disk. Everything has been really straight forward, but now it's
    finished, I have a Dos Partition, (of about 80Mb) and a SYS volume, of the
    rest.

    Other similar servers I have seen in the past have had a volume called VOL,
    where the data was stored, keepign the SYS volume for system stuff.

    So my question is, how do I, through the install process, end up with 2
    volumes like this, rather than one large SYS, as I believe it's not possible
    to divide the existing SYS partition.

    TIA

    Greg S

  2. Re: NW4.11 - creating new partitions

    "Greg Stanner" wrote in message news:<3f7c4ee1$0$10995$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...

    > Hope is isn't too daft a question, but I've set up a NW 4.11 machine, using
    > a 10 GB Hard Disk. Everything has been really straight forward, but now it's
    > finished, I have a Dos Partition, (of about 80Mb) and a SYS volume, of the
    > rest.
    >
    > Other similar servers I have seen in the past have had a volume called VOL,
    > where the data was stored, keepign the SYS volume for system stuff.
    >
    > So my question is, how do I, through the install process, end up with 2
    > volumes like this, rather than one large SYS, as I believe it's not possible
    > to divide the existing SYS partition.

    Hi,

    It's been a while since I've run a NetWare 4.11 install, but somewhere
    along the line you're prompted as to whether to use all available
    space for SYS:. The default is to allocate everything to SYS:, so if
    you accept the default you will end up with this situation. You need
    to change the value to the required SYS: Volume size, e.g. 4096KB for
    a nice 4GB volume.

    Regards,

    --
    Russell Cohen

  3. Re: NW4.11 - creating new partitions

    Hi Greg,

    You still have options to change the volume sizes without reinstalling. The
    PowerQuest ServerMagic 4 for Netware will shrink and move volumes around
    within a partition. Portlock software will reportedly accomplish this also.

    Best wishes,

    Bob Carroll, CPA

    First, you could perform a tape backup, then
    "Greg Stanner" wrote in message
    news:3f7c4ee1$0$10995$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk.. .
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Hope is isn't too daft a question, but I've set up a NW 4.11 machine,

    using
    > a 10 GB Hard Disk. Everything has been really straight forward, but now

    it's
    > finished, I have a Dos Partition, (of about 80Mb) and a SYS volume, of the
    > rest.
    >
    > Other similar servers I have seen in the past have had a volume called

    VOL,
    > where the data was stored, keepign the SYS volume for system stuff.
    >
    > So my question is, how do I, through the install process, end up with 2
    > volumes like this, rather than one large SYS, as I believe it's not

    possible
    > to divide the existing SYS partition.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Greg S

  4. Re: NW4.11 - creating new partitions

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:10:46 +0100, Greg Stanner wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Hope is isn't too daft a question, but I've set up a NW 4.11 machine, using
    > a 10 GB Hard Disk. Everything has been really straight forward, but now it's
    > finished, I have a Dos Partition, (of about 80Mb) and a SYS volume, of the
    > rest.

    There's no easy way to un-do this. The official answer is that you have to
    back up your data from SYS, remove SYS, recreate it smaller, and restore.
    This is possible, but not fun.

    > Other similar servers I have seen in the past have had a volume called VOL,
    > where the data was stored, keepign the SYS volume for system stuff.

    Something like this is much better, yes.

    > So my question is, how do I, through the install process, end up with 2
    > volumes like this, rather than one large SYS, as I believe it's not possible
    > to divide the existing SYS partition.

    The other alternative would be to hunt down a copy of Partition Magic for
    NetWare. I've used it in the past to shrink an existing volume, leaving
    space available to allocate a new volume within the partition. It works,
    but I'm not sure if it's still available.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | All the world's a stage. Has anybody seen my script? |