Newbie at wits' end... - Netware

This is a discussion on Newbie at wits' end... - Netware ; I have a bit of a problem... I've got a server running NetWare 3.12. It's running the MDBS database server. If I do a "display servers" command at the console, I get 11 servers listed (probably excessive, but that's how ...

  1. Newbie at wits' end...

    I have a bit of a problem...

    I've got a server running NetWare 3.12. It's running the MDBS database
    server. If I do a "display servers" command at the console, I get 11
    servers listed (probably excessive, but that's how this unit is set
    up...)

    But two hours later, it all goes horribly wrong. All users logged into
    the DB server get thrown out - there's messages about "abnormal
    logouts". "display servers" now shows just one server still running...
    Restarting the server will bring things back again - for another two
    hours (it is very repeatable).

    Now I don't even know where to start debugging this. Are there any log
    files that will tell me what's going on?

    My only real thought so far has been the fact that my SYS volume is
    fairly full - is it normal to use SYS as storage for temporary files,
    for example?

    Thanks for any pointers you might be able to give me.

    Vic.

  2. Re: Newbie at wits' end...

    Vic wrote:
    > My only real thought so far has been the fact that my SYS volume is
    > fairly full - is it normal to use SYS as storage for temporary files,
    > for example?

    NOOOOOO!!!!! Never use SYS: for anything but SYStem stuff.
    You should have some sort of DATA volume, maybe more than
    one, for all you user apps and data files. If SYS: fills up
    your NetWare 3.xx server will abend and you might have
    problems getting it restarted. The NetWare bindery files,
    TTS and log files exist on this volume and screwing them up
    will cause problems.

    --
    Kevin D. Snodgrass
    kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  3. Re: Newbie at wits' end...

    "Kevin D. Snodgrass" wrote in message

    > > is it normal to use SYS as storage for temporary files,
    > > for example?

    > NOOOOOO!!!!! Never use SYS: for anything but SYStem stuff.

    What, like temporary SYStem files?

    > You should have some sort of DATA volume, maybe more than
    > one, for all you user apps and data files.

    Yes of course I have. But something's bringing this server down, and the
    small amount of space available on SYS: smells rather fishy. So I'm not
    asking "can I put shedloads of data onto SYS:?", I'm asking "is SYS:
    used for temporary files?". I might be clueless when it comes to
    NetWare, but I'm not a total cretin.

    > If SYS: fills up
    > your NetWare 3.xx server will abend and you might have
    > problems getting it restarted.

    These would appear to be the symptoms I'm getting.

    Vic.

  4. Re: Newbie at wits' end...

    "Vic" wrote:
    >I have a bit of a problem...

    >My only real thought so far has been the fact that my SYS volume is
    >fairly full - is it normal to use SYS as storage for temporary files,
    >for example?

    Vic,
    If you have any print services (queues/print servers) run by your
    server, print jobs will be stored in the SYS:\system\*.qdr directories
    while they're printing. A few large print jobs and your disk space
    will be eaten quickly. Do you also have user home directories on SYS:
    that you can move to another volume?
    hth,
    Myron

  5. Re: Newbie at wits' end...

    "Myron" wrote in message

    > If you have any print services (queues/print servers) run by your
    > server, print jobs will be stored in the SYS:\system\*.qdr directories
    > while they're printing. A few large print jobs and your disk space
    > will be eaten quickly.

    That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about. There is a print
    queue on this server, but I'm fairly sure no-one is printing to it - the
    printer died some time ago! Mind you, I'd better have a good look round
    for any "accidental" jobs ;-)

    > Do you also have user home directories on SYS:
    > that you can move to another volume?

    Home directories are already on another volume, so it's not that.

    Anyway, I'll have a peruse of that system directory. Thanks for the
    help!

    Vic.

  6. Re: Newbie at wits' end...

    Vic wrote:
    > What, like temporary SYStem files?

    TTS (Transaction Tracking System) files, the bindery, print
    spools, some forms of email (FirstMail?).

    > Yes of course I have. But something's bringing this server down, and the
    > small amount of space available on SYS: smells rather fishy. So I'm not
    > asking "can I put shedloads of data onto SYS:?", I'm asking "is SYS:
    > used for temporary files?". I might be clueless when it comes to
    > NetWare, but I'm not a total cretin.

    Don't mean to be obtuse, but it depends on what you mean by
    "temporary files". NetWare uses SYS: for the above types of
    files and possibly others. The bindery files and TTS files
    are not temporary but very much needed. MS-DOS machines
    have an environment variable that most MS-DOS programs use
    for the location to store temp files.

    From a command line type NDIR /R|MORE (I think, recursive
    directory listing) and see where the space is being eaten
    up. You could also redirect the output to a file on another
    volume or your local hard drive and look through it there.

    You might get more possibilities by trying NDIR /HELP or
    something similar. NDIR was fairly powerful from what I
    remember..

    --
    Kevin D. Snodgrass
    kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  7. Re: Newbie at wits' end...

    In article <415e5010d4840f048077757f0dd867d4.60200@mygate.mail gate.org>,
    Vic writes
    >My only real thought so far has been the fact that my SYS volume is
    >fairly full - is it normal to use SYS as storage for temporary files,
    >for example?

    There is nothing stopping you or an application putting anything you
    like on the sys vol. Some thoughts are email like Pegasus etc, by
    default it uses the mail folders in a bindery installation. Printers and
    print queues and any print jobs (can't be moved off sys without a third
    party utility). Some users or a supervisor equivalent may have files
    there, patches etc etc. Get Treesize Pro (free download - well,
    shareware) and see what is eating it up...

    --
    Nick

  8. Re: Newbie at wits' end...

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:11:55 +0000 (UTC), "Vic"
    wrote:

    >My only real thought so far has been the fact that my SYS volume is
    >fairly full - is it normal to use SYS as storage for temporary files,
    >for example?
    >
    >Thanks for any pointers you might be able to give me.

    A full SYS volume is a death sentence for a Netware server, keep AT
    LEAST 10% free, the more the better. Also check your Cache buffers in
    monitor. You should have 60% free for normal server operation.
    Anything below 40% is bad news.

    In the past the SYS volume was commonly used for data. This is not
    generally a good thing. Add another HDD and create a volume on it.
    Migrate the data to this new volume. Download config.nlm from
    support.novell.com and run it on your server. Post the results
    (config.txt) to this NG or email it to me for further analysis.

    Regards,

    Wayne

    -----
    This is a test of the emergency signature system.
    If this were a real test, you would be reading an amusing anecdote,
    personal philosophy, or corporate disclaimer. This is just a test.

+ Reply to Thread