NetWare 3.12 and network cards... - Netware

This is a discussion on NetWare 3.12 and network cards... - Netware ; Hi All. I'm trying to get a NW3.12 server running ona nice shiney new motherboard with an on-board NIC (based on the Via-Rhine chipset). So far, I've failed miserably - it only allows slot number 10006, and then promptly crashes ...

  1. NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    Hi All.

    I'm trying to get a NW3.12 server running ona nice shiney new
    motherboard with an on-board NIC (based on the Via-Rhine chipset).

    So far, I've failed miserably - it only allows slot number 10006, and
    then promptly crashes the box.

    I've also go a NetGear FA311 card, but I can't use that either - I've
    tried various versions of msm31x.nlm and nbi31x.nlm, but I always get
    undefined symbols (CMSMInitParser, for example).

    Has anyone done this? Can anyone point me at the right versions of
    software I need to install?

    Thanks!

    Vic.

  2. Re: NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    Vic wrote:
    > Hi All.
    >
    > I'm trying to get a NW3.12 server running ona nice shiney new
    > motherboard with an on-board NIC (based on the Via-Rhine chipset).

    Consider this, NW3.12 came out in 1992 or 1993 and you're
    trying to get it to run on modern hardware.

    > So far, I've failed miserably - it only allows slot number 10006, and
    > then promptly crashes the box.

    I fixed something like this once by editing the .LDI (I
    think) file. It's kind of like a Windows .INF file.

    > I've also go a NetGear FA311 card, but I can't use that either - I've
    > tried various versions of msm31x.nlm and nbi31x.nlm, but I always get
    > undefined symbols (CMSMInitParser, for example).

    Best bet is to apply all patches. If NetGear ships a NW3.1x
    driver for their card it will probably assume all patches
    installed.

    > Has anyone done this? Can anyone point me at the right versions of
    > software I need to install?

    Like I said at the beginning, you might want to try to use
    hardware that is contemporary to the software. Surely you
    have a good old trusty WD8013 ISA card and a motherboard
    with ISA slots laying around, don't you? Did the PCI bus
    even exist when NW3.12 was current?

    --
    Kevin D. Snodgrass
    kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  3. Re: NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    "Vic" wrote:
    >I'm trying to get a NW3.12 server running ona nice shiney new
    >motherboard with an on-board NIC (based on the Via-Rhine chipset).
    >So far, I've failed miserably - it only allows slot number 10006, and
    >then promptly crashes the box.
    >I've also go a NetGear FA311 card, but I can't use that either - I've
    >tried various versions of msm31x.nlm and nbi31x.nlm, but I always get
    >undefined symbols (CMSMInitParser, for example).

    I'm still running v3.12 on two servers. My production server is a
    Compaq ML 370 with a 3Com 3C905CX 10/100 NIC (load 3c90xc.lan
    port=3000 speed=100 duplex=full), and the backup is a Compaq desktop
    with an onboard Intel NIC (load CE100B.lan). Make sure the server is
    fully patched, and see if you can find the NetWare LAN driver for the
    on-board NIC you have.
    HTH,
    Myron

  4. Re: NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    Wow, two excellent posts from the same guy in one morning! Myron, if
    you're ever in the UK, the beers are on me ;-)

    "Myron" wrote in message

    > My production server is a
    > Compaq ML 370 with a 3Com 3C905CX 10/100 NIC (load 3c90xc.lan
    > port=3000 speed=100 duplex=full)

    Woohoo! I found exactly that card yesterday! I'll have a go & see if I
    can get it working...

    > Make sure the server is
    > fully patched

    I suspect that might be part of the problem - the main server (that is
    dying rapidly) has not been maintained for some time. The machine I'm
    building was intended to be a clone of the original just to get things
    going; maybe I'll have to rethink the strategy a little.

    > and see if you can find the NetWare LAN driver for the
    > on-board NIC you have.

    I've found the driver - it's just that it only gives me one option for
    the port, and then crashes the machine. I'll check the patch levels...

    Thanks!

    Vic.

  5. Re: NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    In article <7d020dadbc82b0baa4d5a342ecffddc1.60200@mygate.mail gate.org>,
    Vic writes
    >Wow, two excellent posts from the same guy in one morning! Myron, if
    >you're ever in the UK, the beers are on me ;-)

    Well if you are anywhere near Liverpool/Manchester you could bribe me to
    help you out (more than beer though!
    --
    Nick @ noslow . org . uk

  6. Re: NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    Hi Vic,

    Kevin made good points. Let me add one more thought: Novell released their
    "Netware 3.2 Enhancement Pack" in 1998, which updated 3.12 to allow *.HAM
    and *.CDM drivers to be used (instead of only *.DSK), as well as updating
    many other components.

    These originally cost $350, but I've seen them on eBay for much less. In
    fact, I bought several for about $50 each, and apply them to all 3.12
    servers that I work with.

    You might also try downloading the free Netware Config Reader from Novell:

    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/2943247.htm

    This program analyzes the config.txt file which is created by the config.nlm
    program, and recommends updates necessary based on a Novell database.

    The Config.nlm program can be downloaded at:

    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/2956502.htm

    Both of these programs are listed on the Minimum Patch List web page at

    http://support.novell.com/produpdate/patchlist.html

    Best wishes,

    Bob Carroll, CPA

    "Kevin D. Snodgrass" wrote in message
    > Vic wrote:
    > > Hi All.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get a NW3.12 server running ona nice shiney new
    > > motherboard with an on-board NIC (based on the Via-Rhine chipset).

    > Consider this, NW3.12 came out in 1992 or 1993 and you're
    > trying to get it to run on modern hardware.
    >
    > > So far, I've failed miserably - it only allows slot number 10006, and
    > > then promptly crashes the box.

    > I fixed something like this once by editing the .LDI (I
    > think) file. It's kind of like a Windows .INF file.
    >
    > > I've also go a NetGear FA311 card, but I can't use that either - I've
    > > tried various versions of msm31x.nlm and nbi31x.nlm, but I always get
    > > undefined symbols (CMSMInitParser, for example).

    > Best bet is to apply all patches. If NetGear ships a NW3.1x
    > driver for their card it will probably assume all patches
    > installed.
    >
    > > Has anyone done this? Can anyone point me at the right versions of
    > > software I need to install?

    > Like I said at the beginning, you might want to try to use
    > hardware that is contemporary to the software. Surely you
    > have a good old trusty WD8013 ISA card and a motherboard
    > with ISA slots laying around, don't you? Did the PCI bus
    > even exist when NW3.12 was current?
    >
    > --
    > Kevin D. Snodgrass
    > kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  7. Re: NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 04:01:00 GMT, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
    > with ISA slots laying around, don't you? Did the PCI bus
    > even exist when NW3.12 was current?

    Yes, it did. It was new at the time.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | #define struct union /* great space saver */ |

  8. Re: NetWare 3.12 and network cards...

    "David Gersic" wrote in message

    > > with ISA slots laying around, don't you? Did the PCI bus
    > > even exist when NW3.12 was current?

    > Yes, it did. It was new at the time.

    Right, well I've fixed the problem now.

    I couldn't get the driver for the on-board NIC to work, but while doing
    something else entirely, I came across one of the cheapie PCI NICs I
    keep hanging around. To my surprise, the driver floppy claimed to have a
    driver for NW3.12. I tried it - it worked first time.

    So - another OS that seems to like the Realtek chipset ;-)

    Vic.
    [Who is going to be very happy when he can finally ditch NW and move
    this server to Linux...]