How can I clear "ghost" connections - Netware

This is a discussion on How can I clear "ghost" connections - Netware ; How can I kill "ghost" logins? I'm having a problem with what I'll call "ghost" logins. Occasionally, someone's Windows PC crashes while they are logged in to the NetWare server. When this happens, the server thinks their username is still ...

  1. How can I clear "ghost" connections

    How can I kill "ghost" logins?

    I'm having a problem with what I'll call "ghost" logins.
    Occasionally, someone's Windows PC crashes while they are logged
    in to the NetWare server. When this happens, the server thinks
    their username is still logged in and authenticated even though
    their PC is probably now in the process of rebooting. Because I
    allow my users only one simultaneous login for security reasons,
    when the login screen next reappears, the user is blocked from
    logging in because the server thinks they are still logged in. I
    clear this by going to the monitor screen on the console and
    clearing their connection or by using the JRB "killconn" utility
    from a logged in workstation. Normally, this works fine.

    Sometimes, however, I cannot clear a connection. These are what
    I call "ghost" logins. In this case, if I give the command
    "nlist user /a", I can see the username for that user, but
    killconn does not work - it gives a message like "no such user
    is logged in." The monitor screen does NOT show the user so I
    cannot clear their connection that way. Likewise, the
    connection does NOT show up in the management console available
    through my Web browser, so it cannot be cleared this way.
    Finally, the "ghost" connection does not go away even if the
    server is rebooted. The only way such a user can continue to
    log in is if I increase their number of simultaneous logins.

    I think maybe what has happened is that the user was
    authenticated on some other server in the tree. That server is
    the one maintaining the connection and the only way to clear it
    would be at that other server, by using the monitor, or
    killconn, or the management console. Unfortunately, I have no
    access to or rights on any other servers in the tree!

    We are running NetWare 5.1 in pure NDS mode here.

    One of my users now has three "ghost" logins and I have had to
    increase her simultaneous login count to four!! Any ideas on
    how I might be able to delete such "ghost" connectons?

    Thanks,

    John Finkenbine
    McGill University
    Dept. of Chemistry
    email: john dot finkenbine at mcgill dot ca

  2. Re: How can I clear "ghost" connections

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:49:33 GMT, John Finkenbine wrote:

    > How can I kill "ghost" logins?

    You've got mail!

    I emailed a follow up to the address you posted this from. If your email
    address is valid, it should be there by now. If your email address is not
    valid, please email me (remove the underscores!) as soon as possible from a
    valid address.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | WYTYSYDG = What You Thought You Saw, You Didn't Get |

  3. Re: How can I clear "ghost" connections

    David Gersic wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:49:33 GMT, John Finkenbine wrote:
    >>
    >> How can I kill "ghost" logins?

    >You've got mail!
    >
    >I emailed a follow up to the address you posted this from. If your email
    >address is valid, it should be there by now. If your email address is not
    >valid, please email me (remove the underscores!) as soon as possible from a
    >valid address.
    >
    >--
    >| David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    >| WYTYSYDG = What You Thought You Saw, You Didn't Get |
    >| Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores. |

    Hey David, will your thoughts be posted in the group? I was a bit curious
    on this one.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread