Learner needs HELP! - Netware

This is a discussion on Learner needs HELP! - Netware ; Hello all, I'm attending a training course at a local university. This is the first time this course has been offered. Part of the assignments require the use of a Netware 5.X server. The students have loaded Netware and we ...

  1. Learner needs HELP!

    Hello all,
    I'm attending a training course at a local university. This is the first
    time this course has been offered. Part of the assignments require the use
    of a Netware 5.X server. The students have loaded Netware and we all have it
    up and running. The problem is that we can't get to the Command Prompt. When
    a user closes the GUI to get to the prompt, the viewing screen "goes
    haywire". The text is not viewable as text. Everything is garbled.
    On boot up of the server, we see text. The GUI for Console One loads
    automatically, but when the GUI is closed, there is no apparent readable
    text, only "garbage".
    The computers belong to the school. They are "No Name" boxes with Intel
    Celeron chips. They appear to have on-board video controllers. The Device
    Manager on the same machines with Windows 2000 indicates that the video
    controllers are VIA Tech VT8361/VT8601 PCI Graphics controllers. The
    monitors are Viewsonic VE155 Plug and Play Flat Panels. The probelm occurs
    with resolution set to 800x600 and 1024x768.
    I'd like to be the one who comes up with the answer to this problem. If
    anyone has seen this before and has a solution, please pass on the "secret".
    I was unable to locate anything on the Novell KnowledgeBase site.
    Thanks to anyone who can help. Any replys will be considered and
    appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jay W. Cochrane

  2. Re: Learner needs HELP!

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:15:20 -0400, Jay W. Cochrane wrote:
    > up and running. The problem is that we can't get to the Command Prompt. When
    > a user closes the GUI to get to the prompt, the viewing screen "goes
    > haywire". The text is not viewable as text. Everything is garbled.

    What happens if you don't exit the X server? Can you use Ctrl-Esc to switch
    screens ok?

    > On boot up of the server, we see text. The GUI for Console One loads
    > automatically, but when the GUI is closed, there is no apparent readable
    > text, only "garbage".

    Sounds like a wrong or crappy video driver was selected by the install. Set
    the X stuff back to standard VGA 640x480 and see if that helps. If it does,
    then you'll have a start on working through it.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | In her off hours, Tasha Yar maintained a Data Entry position. |

  3. Re: Learner needs HELP!

    * Jay W. Cochrane (2003-09-22 19:15 +0200)
    > Hello all,
    > I'm attending a training course at a local university. This is the first
    > time this course has been offered. Part of the assignments require the use
    > of a Netware 5.X server.

    5.0 or 5.1? Did you apply the latest SupportPack (6a for NW 5 and 6
    for 5.1). Did you install the latest JVM (*important*)?

    > The students have loaded Netware and we all have it
    > up and running. The problem is that we can't get to the Command Prompt. When
    > a user closes the GUI to get to the prompt, the viewing screen "goes
    > haywire". The text is not viewable as text. Everything is garbled.
    > On boot up of the server, we see text. The GUI for Console One loads
    > automatically, but when the GUI is closed, there is no apparent readable
    > text, only "garbage".

    Do you have teachers that deserve that name? Comment out "startx" in
    sys:system/autoexec.ncf. Switch screens with [Alt]+[Esc] and
    [Ctrl]+[Esc].

    Thorsten

+ Reply to Thread