Learning NetWare 5.1 - Netware

This is a discussion on Learning NetWare 5.1 - Netware ; My question is: Is there a book I can read that provides a good introduction to the concepts and terminology of administering NetWare 5.1? Alternately, are there any books to avoid? Background: I have a good understanding of networks in ...

  1. Learning NetWare 5.1

    My question is: Is there a book I can read that provides a good
    introduction to the concepts and terminology of administering NetWare 5.1?
    Alternately, are there any books to avoid?

    Background:

    I have a good understanding of networks in general, and I administer a
    small windows based LAN. I'm applying for a job for which I am pretty much
    qualified, except that they are looking for someone with experience in
    NetWare 5.1.

    There's no way I can gain real experience before the close of the job
    listing, but I would like to familiarize myself with NetWare, as much as
    possible, at least to be able to speak intelligently about it if I manage
    to get an interview.

    Thanks for any help.
    Bob

  2. Re: Learning NetWare 5.1

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:05:38 -0000, bob wrote:
    > My question is: Is there a book I can read that provides a good
    > introduction to the concepts and terminology of administering NetWare 5.1?

    The on-line doc has a pretty good introduction. I don't think you can
    still get 5.1, but you can download the eval of NW6.5 and start there.
    Read the docs, and set up a server and client to get some familiarity
    with it.

    It may not be enough to claim "experience", but it may count for initiative.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Let whoever among you is without sin buy the first round. |

  3. Re: Learning NetWare 5.1

    David Gersic wrote in

    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:05:38 -0000, bob wrote:
    >> My question is: Is there a book I can read that provides a good
    >> introduction to the concepts and terminology of administering NetWare
    >> 5.1?

    > The on-line doc has a pretty good introduction. I don't think you can
    > still get 5.1, but you can download the eval of NW6.5 and start there.

    Cool, thanks. I would have never imagined you could download it. I checked
    it out, and they seem to only offer 6.5 now, as you thought.

    How different is 6.5, compared to 5.1? Is it similar enough to be
    recognizable?

    Bob

  4. Re: Learning NetWare 5.1

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 00:38:34 -0000, bob wrote:
    > How different is 6.5, compared to 5.1? Is it similar enough to be
    > recognizable?

    The OS itself is pretty similar, with some new added features that you'd
    notice. The major differences (IMHO) are in the things that come with it,
    not in the OS itself. The web server is Apache (vs. NES), it's got Tomcat
    in there now (vs. Websphere), the NAMP stuff, and much better integration
    and management.

    You said you're running Windows stuff now. Compare it to the changes from
    Win2000 to WinXP I guess. They didn't change the OS that much, but the look
    and feel is different.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Golf isn't a sport. It's landscaping with the wrong tools. |

  5. Re: Learning NetWare 5.1

    David Gersic wrote in

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 00:38:34 -0000, bob wrote:
    >> How different is 6.5, compared to 5.1? Is it similar enough to be
    >> recognizable?

    > The OS itself is pretty similar, with some new added features that
    > you'd notice. The major differences (IMHO) are in the things that come
    > with it, not in the OS itself. The web server is Apache (vs. NES),
    > it's got Tomcat in there now (vs. Websphere), the NAMP stuff, and much
    > better integration and management.
    >
    > You said you're running Windows stuff now. Compare it to the changes
    > from Win2000 to WinXP I guess. They didn't change the OS that much,
    > but the look and feel is different.

    Thanks again. I've been out of town on business, but I got the ISOs, so
    I'm going to install things and see how it goes. I'm sure I'll be back
    later with more questions.

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread