DSL w/ netware - Netware

This is a discussion on DSL w/ netware - Netware ; A friend or mine is trying to setup a Layer 2 DSL connection on his novell machine. His connection comes with 1 static IP address etc. They are using a DSL300+ modem from D-Link (builtin PPPoE). The modem can connect ...

  1. DSL w/ netware

    A friend or mine is trying to setup a Layer 2 DSL connection on his novell
    machine. His connection comes with 1 static IP address etc. They are using
    a DSL300+ modem from D-Link (builtin PPPoE).

    The modem can connect up fine, and does its thing. There is a problem
    however with the IP addressing in this novell box. The IP address is a C
    class, with subnet of 255.255.255.255.

    The first problem is that novell complains about the subnet mask being all
    ones. Thats not a huge problem as it can be faked. The second problem is
    that novell won't allow the gateway address to be the same as the IP
    address. If we don't set a static IP on novell, allowing them modem to
    assign one, it assigns the standard 192.168.0.1 address etc. The DSL300+
    modem then is designed to assign the same IP we're trying to get novell to
    use, and it just won't get picked up.

    Since there isn't any PPPoE implementation I am aware of, how would one
    get this connection working with the C class address with 32 bit subnet
    mask & the gateway being the same IP. Seems strange that even windows can
    handle this .

    Regards

    Michael Collard

  2. Re: DSL w/ netware

    quadfour@iinet.net.au wrote:

    > A friend or mine is trying to setup a Layer 2 DSL connection on his novell
    > machine. His connection comes with 1 static IP address etc. They are using
    > a DSL300+ modem from D-Link (builtin PPPoE).
    >
    > The modem can connect up fine, and does its thing. There is a problem
    > however with the IP addressing in this novell box. The IP address is a C
    > class, with subnet of 255.255.255.255.

    Class C has Subnet 255.255.255.0.

    > The first problem is that novell complains about the subnet mask being all
    > ones.

    That?s right.

    > Thats not a huge problem as it can be faked.

    But why?? Why do you set a "network" with a Subnet mask of
    ff.ff.ff.ff???

    > The second problem is
    > that novell won't allow the gateway address to be the same as the IP
    > address.

    Set the DSL-Router to 192.168.1.1 and the Netware server to 192.168.1.2.
    The latter gets the gateway of 192.168.1.1

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

  3. Re: DSL w/ netware

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 10:03:27 +0200, Stefan Braunstein wrote:

    > quadfour@iinet.net.au wrote:
    >
    >> A friend or mine is trying to setup a Layer 2 DSL connection on his novell
    >> machine. His connection comes with 1 static IP address etc. They are using
    >> a DSL300+ modem from D-Link (builtin PPPoE).
    >>
    >> The modem can connect up fine, and does its thing. There is a problem
    >> however with the IP addressing in this novell box. The IP address is a C
    >> class, with subnet of 255.255.255.255.

    > Class C has Subnet 255.255.255.0.

    Correct but the DSL provider provides a static IP such as 203.59.44.48
    with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255. This is why I mentioned 'Layer 2'
    DSL connection.

    >> The first problem is that novell complains about the subnet mask being all
    >> ones.

    > That?s right.

    The TCP/IP protocol does allow a subnet of all ones or zeros. You can say
    that Novell doesn't follow the book in this regard.

    >> Thats not a huge problem as it can be faked.

    > But why?? Why do you set a "network" with a Subnet mask of
    > ff.ff.ff.ff???
    >
    >> The second problem is
    >> that novell won't allow the gateway address to be the same as the IP
    >> address.

    > Set the DSL-Router to 192.168.1.1 and the Netware server to 192.168.1.2.
    > The latter gets the gateway of 192.168.1.1

    Please refer to the DLink web site and read the information on this modem.
    The modem firstly assigns the IP of 192.168.0.2 until it makes a
    connection and then 'bridges' it, assigning the publicly available IP,
    gateway and subnet mask.

    The reason this person is in this mess is due to flawed TCP/IP support
    that even windows95 machines are capable of. On top of that, no PPPoE
    support is an insult.

    I am hoping that someone does know a way around this problem. I myself am
    not very familiar with netware and cannot think of anything to assist.

  4. Re: DSL w/ netware

    Michael,

    Perhaps the Novell BorderManager product is what you are looking for?

    Or you could certainly set up an inexpensive D-Link or Linksys (my favorite)
    router and accomplish the task easily and simply, but without the controls
    and acceleration caching provided by BorderManager.

    With regard to the IP addressing, I have always been able to resolve
    problems by following the instructions in the KnowledgeBase at
    http://support.novell.com . Which version of Netware are you using? Are
    you manually binding IP to the NIC, or using INETCFG.NLM?

    Are you only trying to connect the server to the modem, or do you want to
    share the Internet connection with other workstations? Are there multiple
    NICs/segments on the server?

    I'm sure we can help you through this with just a little additional
    information from you.

    Best wishes,

    Bob Carroll, CPA

    "Michael Collard" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.09.04.06.37.15.887225@iinet.net.au...
    > A friend or mine is trying to setup a Layer 2 DSL connection on his novell
    > machine. His connection comes with 1 static IP address etc. They are using
    > a DSL300+ modem from D-Link (builtin PPPoE).
    >
    > The modem can connect up fine, and does its thing. There is a problem
    > however with the IP addressing in this novell box. The IP address is a C
    > class, with subnet of 255.255.255.255.
    >
    > The first problem is that novell complains about the subnet mask being all
    > ones. Thats not a huge problem as it can be faked. The second problem is
    > that novell won't allow the gateway address to be the same as the IP
    > address. If we don't set a static IP on novell, allowing them modem to
    > assign one, it assigns the standard 192.168.0.1 address etc. The DSL300+
    > modem then is designed to assign the same IP we're trying to get novell to
    > use, and it just won't get picked up.
    >
    > Since there isn't any PPPoE implementation I am aware of, how would one
    > get this connection working with the C class address with 32 bit subnet
    > mask & the gateway being the same IP. Seems strange that even windows can
    > handle this .
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Michael Collard

+ Reply to Thread