Comprehensive Netware monitoring tool? - Netware

This is a discussion on Comprehensive Netware monitoring tool? - Netware ; Hello sysops! I am looking for suggestions on monitoring tools that will do the following for me: 1. Service NW 5.1 and NW6 servers 2. Parsing of the Netware error logs on each server 3. Automatic notification by email or ...

  1. Comprehensive Netware monitoring tool?

    Hello sysops!

    I am looking for suggestions on monitoring tools that will do the
    following for me:

    1. Service NW 5.1 and NW6 servers
    2. Parsing of the Netware error logs on each server
    3. Automatic notification by email or pager of server abends
    4. Server stats on demand (CPU usage, NIC throughput, open files,
    users logged in)
    5. Hopefully something flexible enough to allow me to monitor the log
    files of services such as Groupwise, Netmail, FTP.

    Does anyone have any recommendations?

    Thanks
    Rob Dack
    Trent University

  2. Re: Comprehensive Netware monitoring tool?

    Raver32 scribed in
    :

    > I am looking for suggestions on monitoring tools that will do the
    > following for me:
    >
    > 1. Service NW 5.1 and NW6 servers

    I've only done this on 3.12

    > 2. Parsing of the Netware error logs on each server

    I'd write those in AWK (because I learnt AWK before trying PERL, PERL
    is probably better though)

    > 3. Automatic notification by email or pager of server abends
    > 4. Server stats on demand (CPU usage, NIC throughput, open files,
    > users logged in)
    > 5. Hopefully something flexible enough to allow me to monitor the
    > log files of services such as Groupwise, Netmail, FTP.

    I was using MRTG (www.mrtg.org) for this, and am still, but with
    changes..

    I was running MRTG under Win95 (it's not supposed to work, but I took
    that as a challenge) on a dedicated machine. The machine had to be
    able to auto log in to access the log files.
    I used AWK scripts to do email in/out counts from the Mercury log
    file. MRTG can access the SNMP module on Netware by itself so that
    gives you the disk space, users etc stats directly.

    MRTG can email you when limits are hit, on any variable being
    monitored.

    Here on campus we also have BigBrother running (http://bb4.com) which
    can email when connectivity goes, or even SMS message you on your
    cell fone (if you have the black boxes needed for this). Try this
    http://www.ru.ac.za/bb/novell/novell.html
    That is monitoring some of our Novell servers. I don't administer
    that system so go direct to the IT blokes if you have questions.

    Now, the changes.... I ditched the Win95 box in favour of a FreeBSD
    server. It handles the scheduling and workload much better, even
    though they both have P166 processors. However, I've lost the
    ability to scan the email logs (or any others) because the BSD box
    cannot 'log in' to the Novell server (yet, I suspect there is a way,
    but havn't got there yet)
    However, this is no loss as I suspect that the AWK script accessing
    the mail logs was causing abends due to sharing violations of some
    kind.

    It is very useful to be able to see a graph of disk usage, and email
    traffic, etc etc. What I want to do is graph users home folder
    usage... some day.... b y next year I hope to be running everythign
    off the BSD box and retire the Novell 3.12 entirely.

    > Does anyone have any recommendations?

    swarf, steam and wind

    --
    David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
    http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /

+ Reply to Thread