HELP!!! Urgent Help Needed Please...Netware 3.12 / Ghost? Thank you! - Netware

This is a discussion on HELP!!! Urgent Help Needed Please...Netware 3.12 / Ghost? Thank you! - Netware ; HELP!!!!! I have an emergency problem. I have a server that is using Netware 3.12. I think the HDD is beginning to fail. I would like to use Norton Ghost to ghost the HDD to a new drive and use ...

  1. HELP!!! Urgent Help Needed Please...Netware 3.12 / Ghost? Thank you!

    HELP!!!!!
    I have an emergency problem. I have a server that is using Netware
    3.12. I think the HDD is beginning to fail. I would like to use
    Norton Ghost to ghost the HDD to a new drive and use the new drive to
    replace the old one.

    1. What kind of format does the drive with Neware 3.12 have?

    2. Can I use Norton Ghost to do what I want?

    3. Do I need to do anything to the new drive before ghosting the old
    drive to it? (format? partition? etc.)

    4. The old drive has several volumes. Do I need to worry about or
    prepare for that on the new drive or will the volumes take care of
    themselves after ghosting?

    5. Anything else significant I need to worry about before ghosting?

    Thank you so much for any help. I need to get this done immediately
    so I really appreciate it!

  2. Re: HELP!!! Urgent Help Needed Please...Netware 3.12 / Ghost? Thank you!

    It certainly will NOT. The file system is totally different. Standard
    GHOST doesn't understand it.

    As usual, David Gersic has the correct answer. GHOST for Netware is long
    gone.

    If the NW3.12 server is still up. copy the data off to a PC, bin the
    failing disk, rebuild the server, assuming the media & licence is still
    available then copy the data back again.

    Portlock will certainly do the trick but it's not all that cheap & the
    snag is that if the disk is dodgy it may not copy properly & you're back
    to rebuilding the server anyway.

    In article , Alan Frayer
    writes
    >I used to use Ghost to store such images on an NT Server as part of
    >storing classroom setups. It *should* do what he wants.
    >
    >On 12 Aug 2003 06:19:42 GMT, David Gersic wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:16:59 GMT, Malissa wrote:
    >>> 1. What kind of format does the drive with Neware 3.12 have?

    >> It uses the NetWare file system.
    >>

    >>> 2. Can I use Norton Ghost to do what I want?

    >> I doubt it.
    >>
    >> Portlock Storage Manager may do it. There used to be a Ghost for NetWare,
    >> but I think that's long since been discontinued.
    >>

    >> --
    >> | David Gersic
    >> |dgersic_@_niu.edu
    >> | Programmer: (n.) one who writes programs and trusts them. An
    >> |optimist.
    >> | Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the
    >> |underscores.

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  3. Re: HELP!!! Urgent Help Needed Please...Netware 3.12 / Ghost? Thank you!

    Keith, perhaps you can explain to me, then, why I COULD DO IT, and DID do
    it, for over a year?!

    I'll allow this: while the version of Ghost we used was not NetWare
    specific, it wasn't TODAY's Ghost, so maybe the product has changed enough
    to where it won't work today. It most certainly DID at the time, however,
    and, as I said, we kept those images on an NT server!

    --
    Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer_@_frayernet.com
    Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region.

+ Reply to Thread