Problem clearing a connection in NW6 - Netware

This is a discussion on Problem clearing a connection in NW6 - Netware ; I'm replacing our NW4.11 server with new hardware and upgrading to NW6. I've set up a testbed network (a NW4 server, a NW6 server and a client) on which to learn about NW6 and to practice the migration. I have ...

  1. Problem clearing a connection in NW6

    I'm replacing our NW4.11 server with new hardware and upgrading to
    NW6. I've set up a testbed network (a NW4 server, a NW6 server and a
    client) on which to learn about NW6 and to practice the migration.

    I have built this NW6 test server dozens of times (and have learned
    *many* ways NOT to build a NW6 server ), and have already
    sucessfully been able to migrate from the NW4 test server to the NW6
    test server several times. However, during my last test, I have run
    into a problem I can't resolve:

    Like before, I've installed NW6 complete, with all the options. I
    attach to the server using a NT4 client (using the latest Client32) in
    order to copy over nw6sp3.exe (Service Pack 3). Part way through the
    copying, the client (or server) drops the connection, but the server
    still shows the open connection *and* shows that nw6sp3.exe as being
    'open' or 'locked'. When the client logs back in again, it can not
    delete nw6sp3.exe.

    If I go into MONITOR on the server, and try to clear the connection,
    MONITOR hangs. If I then try to unload MONITOR, the console hangs.

    If, instead, I issue the CLEAR STATION # command, the console again
    hangs.

    The only way I've been able to clear this is to reboot the server.

    My earlier sucessfull tests were made using a Win2k client, but even
    if the dropped connection problem is a WinNT -vs- Win2k issue, why am
    I not able to clear the connection at the server?

    Thanks in advance.

    Malcolm

  2. Re: Problem clearing a connection in NW6

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:54:09 GMT, malcolm@malmbergeng.com (Malcolm
    Spann) wrote:

    As a follow up to my origional posting:

    I've just finished reading TID2913775 ("Reboot the server. There is
    no other way") and TID 40020786 ("Update the drivers on the server").

    As long as I am using NT4 as the client, I can't 'update the drivers'
    (install nw6sp3) because the connection keeps breaking. I'll try
    going back to a Win2K client and try again.

    Thanks in advance.

    Malcolm

+ Reply to Thread