Resize volumen SYS - Netware

This is a discussion on Resize volumen SYS - Netware ; Hi, NW 4.11 novell partition = 30GB vol sys 6GB How to resize SYS for free :-) ? Regards PM...

  1. Resize volumen SYS

    Hi,

    NW 4.11
    novell partition = 30GB
    vol sys 6GB

    How to resize SYS for free :-) ?

    Regards
    PM

  2. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:55:13 +0200, Pawel wrote:
    > NW 4.11
    > novell partition = 30GB
    > vol sys 6GB

    What's the physical layout (how many disks)? What are the other volume
    segments already allocated?

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | What we have here, is a failure, to communicate. |

  3. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    pawel@nospam.poznan.home.pl wrote:

    > one disk scsi 30GB
    > one vol sys 6GB on this disk

    Just add a second segment to the volume sys: to add the free space
    within (!) the Netware partition. No Third Party tool needed.

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

  4. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    Uzytkownik "Stefan Braunstein" napisal w
    wiadomosci news:MPG.199db387c686b717989a9b@192.168.194.5...
    > pawel@nospam.poznan.home.pl wrote:
    >
    > > one disk scsi 30GB
    > > one vol sys 6GB on this disk

    > Just add a second segment to the volume sys: to add the free space
    > within (!) the Netware partition. No Third Party tool needed.
    >
    > --

    I can't
    P.S. novell partition only 6GB = vol sys

  5. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    pawel@nospam.poznan.home.pl wrote:

    > > > one disk scsi 30GB
    > > > one vol sys 6GB on this disk

    > > Just add a second segment to the volume sys: to add the free space
    > > within (!) the Netware partition. No Third Party tool needed.

    > I can't
    > P.S. novell partition only 6GB = vol sys

    In your first post you wrote:

    NW 4.11
    novell partition = 30GB
    vol sys 6GB

    Learn to fetch the right information, if you want accurate replies.

    There is no free solution for this (for production environments). Use
    Portlock?s Storage Manager to adjust the Netware Partition.

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

  6. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    If you have enough space, and know what you are doing, you can do what
    you want by creating new volumes, copying contents and deleting. I needed
    to expand the SYS volume on a disc with plenty of free space. I created a
    volume SYS_NEW of the required size, copied everything from SYS to
    SYS_NEW, renamed SYS to SYS_OLD, and renamed SYS_NEW to SYS. This was
    Netware 3.12 (bindery) -- I haven't done this with a later version.

    You could temporarily add a drive to assist with this.

    If you're not careful you can be in big trouble, though.

    HTH,
    --
    Michael Salem

  7. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    a$-b$1@ms3.org.uk wrote:

    > If you have enough space, and know what you are doing, you can do what
    > you want by creating new volumes, copying contents and deleting.

    He has a Netware partition, which is the same size as SYS:, so there is
    no place to create another volume, where he could move files to.

    > I needed
    > to expand the SYS volume on a disc with plenty of free space.
    > I created a
    > volume SYS_NEW of the required size, copied everything from SYS to
    > SYS_NEW, renamed SYS to SYS_OLD, and renamed SYS_NEW to SYS.

    Just add a second segment to SYS:, if you have a big NW partition!? If
    not, you couldn?t create another volume!? Or did I understand you wrong?

    > This was Netware 3.12 (bindery) -- I haven't done this with a later version.

    I think, it?s impossible or at least very difficult to transfer the NDS
    from SYS: to another volume. Maybe by loading server.exe with -ndb and
    copying SYS:_NETWARE with a NLM based file manager from the console.

    > You could temporarily add a drive to assist with this.

    He *must*.

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

  8. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    ServerMagic 4 for Netware will do this nicely as an NLM, and will also allow
    you to then combine volume segments into one physical volume. But if you
    want free:

    I have also used the free DOS utilities from snapback.com (formerly from
    Columbia Data Products). The DOS RESIZE.EXE program allows you to expand
    the Netware partition. Then start the server, and add an additional volume
    segment and/or additional volumes using the INSTALL.NLM.

    Download the free disaster recovery toolkit from here:
    http://www.snapback.com/download.php

    Best wishes,

    Bob Carroll, CPA

    "Pawel" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > NW 4.11
    > novell partition = 30GB
    > vol sys 6GB
    >
    > How to resize SYS for free :-) ?
    >
    > Regards
    > PM

  9. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    > Learn to fetch the right information, if you want accurate replies.
    >
    > There is no free solution for this (for production environments). Use
    > Portlock?s Storage Manager to adjust the Netware Partition.
    >
    > --
    > Stefan Braunstein
    > - no e-mails -
    > www.braunstein.de

    hmm,
    I conected disk to NW 5.0 and then I created second partition and then I
    created second volume :-)
    What can you write me about this?

    Regards
    Pawel

  10. Re: Resize volumen SYS

    pawel@nospam.poznan.home.pl wrote:

    > > There is no free solution for this (for production environments).

    > I conected disk to NW 5.0 and then I created second partition and then I
    > created second volume :-)
    > What can you write me about this?

    YOU use NW 5.0, the original poster uses NW 3.x. In NW 5.x it is
    supported (because of NSS partitions), in NW 3.x not.

    BTW: see my "(for production environments)". Even in NW 3.x you can use
    third-party tools to create a second Netware partition and you can use
    this partition for new volumes. But since neither INSTALL.NLM nor
    MONITOR.NLM can handle these two Netware partitions correctly, I would
    not recommend using this in "production environments".

    --
    Stefan Braunstein
    - no e-mails -

+ Reply to Thread