Re: Netware 6.0 vs. A Linux Solution - Netware

This is a discussion on Re: Netware 6.0 vs. A Linux Solution - Netware ; Ben B wrote: > All > > I don't come from any particular standpoint, hence the cross-post. I > have dabbled with both Netware 6.0 and RedHat 8. I have been asked to > install a small network servicing 10 ...

  1. Re: Netware 6.0 vs. A Linux Solution

    Ben B wrote:

    > All
    >
    > I don't come from any particular standpoint, hence the cross-post. I
    > have dabbled with both Netware 6.0 and RedHat 8. I have been asked to
    > install a small network servicing 10 clients, 2 printers. I want to
    > know whether I should opt for Novell's out-of-the-box offering in the
    > form of Netware, or go down the Linux route. I'd be really upset if I
    > found the only alternative to Netware was a Windows box -- so I won't
    > even go there.
    >
    > The features I need are --
    > + Web Server -- with some scripting (pref. PHP)
    > + File / Print Server -- for Windows, Linux and Mac clients
    > + Security
    > + Proxying
    > + This is my current killer -- the ability to look at files on user's
    > home drives over the web securley and without messing with client
    > software
    > -- and I'd like to run all this from one beefy machine.
    >
    > I like Netware because is seems stable, secure and (it promises) it
    > will do the things above. I like Linux because of it's flexibility
    > and wide range of applications.
    >
    > Let me know whether you think I should take the Netware or Linux
    > route. If I take the Linux route, are there any self-contained
    > packages/distros that offer the same types of services as a Netware
    > machine? Security is a pretty high priority -- how can I make sure
    > either solution is keeping data safe? I'm veering towards Netware
    > because of the ability to look at all our Home drive files over the
    > web -- I know I could browse directories through Apache with SAMBA --
    > but is there a neater solution?
    >
    > I know that we may see some form of covergence in the coming months as
    > Netare moves to provide services on Linux -- but I need something
    > pretty quick.
    >
    > Thanks for your time, guys, and I'll let both of you know (Netware and
    > Linux) what type of response I get.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ben

    Netware 6 will give you all of those, however PHP support is still beta with 6.0
    (although it works fine).

    Netware 6.5 Due to ship in about 10 days, will come with PHP and Mysql.

    Patrick

  2. Re: Netware 6.0 vs. A Linux Solution

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:42:22 -0500, Patrick Farrell wideopenwest-D0T-com> wrote:

    > Ben B wrote:
    >
    >> All
    >>
    >> I don't come from any particular standpoint, hence the cross-post. I
    >> have dabbled with both Netware 6.0 and RedHat 8. I have been asked to
    >> install a small network servicing 10 clients, 2 printers. I want to
    >> know whether I should opt for Novell's out-of-the-box offering in the
    >> form of Netware, or go down the Linux route. I'd be really upset if I
    >> found the only alternative to Netware was a Windows box -- so I won't
    >> even go there.
    >>
    >> The features I need are --
    >> + Web Server -- with some scripting (pref. PHP)
    >> + File / Print Server -- for Windows, Linux and Mac clients
    >> + Security
    >> + Proxying
    >> + This is my current killer -- the ability to look at files on user's
    >> home drives over the web securley and without messing with client
    >> software
    >> -- and I'd like to run all this from one beefy machine.
    >>
    >> I like Netware because is seems stable, secure and (it promises) it
    >> will do the things above. I like Linux because of it's flexibility
    >> and wide range of applications.
    >>
    >> Let me know whether you think I should take the Netware or Linux
    >> route. If I take the Linux route, are there any self-contained
    >> packages/distros that offer the same types of services as a Netware
    >> machine? Security is a pretty high priority -- how can I make sure
    >> either solution is keeping data safe? I'm veering towards Netware
    >> because of the ability to look at all our Home drive files over the
    >> web -- I know I could browse directories through Apache with SAMBA --
    >> but is there a neater solution?
    >>
    >> I know that we may see some form of covergence in the coming months as
    >> Netare moves to provide services on Linux -- but I need something
    >> pretty quick.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time, guys, and I'll let both of you know (Netware and
    >> Linux) what type of response I get.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Ben

    > Netware 6 will give you all of those, however PHP support is still beta
    > with 6.0 (although it works fine).
    >
    > Netware 6.5 Due to ship in about 10 days, will come with PHP and Mysql.
    >
    > Patrick

    I'll add that Novell will have all of your favorite services available on a
    Linux platform very soon, so you may want to check with them on the
    availability of both worlds combined.

    --
    Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer_@_frayernet.com
    Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region.

+ Reply to Thread