Lost Admin - Netware

This is a discussion on Lost Admin - Netware ; I've been given the unenviable position of administering a NW6 SP3 server without a much NW (or sysadmin) savvy. Our vendor (whom we bought the new server and software from) never seemed to get the licensing installed correctly. We've had ...

  1. Lost Admin

    I've been given the unenviable position of administering a NW6 SP3 server
    without a much NW (or sysadmin) savvy. Our vendor (whom we bought the new
    server and software from) never seemed to get the licensing installed
    correctly. We've had abends, btrieve errors, patch-o-rama, etc. for the last
    7 weeks. The "solution" was to delete all the licenses (server and user) and
    license containers. Then he finally installed the correct number of user
    licences. Upon reboot, the admin object is denied access to the server at
    all. The Tree is not available to view. The sys vol is unavailable for
    mapping from any workstation, under any user account. I do have the tree,
    backup DB, and sys vol backed up to tape with ARCserve.
    And YES, I'm certainly no pro at Netware. Just a poor under-educated schmuck
    given a chance to do the best I can. (And I came cheap, too) I'm throwing
    this out there before I start wading through the infinite number of
    documents on Novell's website, which is quite impressive, to say the least.
    I'd appreciate some guidance from the community out there. Thanks in
    advance.

  2. Re: Lost Admin

    On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 08:41:23 -0500, Inspector wrote:
    > I've been given the unenviable position of administering a NW6 SP3 server
    > without a much NW (or sysadmin) savvy.

    [...tale of woe snipped...]

    Your best bet would probably be to swtich to a different vendor. One that
    is familiar with the operating system shouldn't have to take too long to
    straighten out this problem for you. Have the contract with the vendor
    specify some admin training for yourself. A *good* vendor should already
    be planning on including this, unless you're contracting with them to
    provide systems administration.

    If you're interested in learning, the manuals are a pretty good place to
    start. They're a bit boring after a while, but not too bad.

    > server and software from) never seemed to get the licensing installed
    > correctly. We've had abends, btrieve errors, patch-o-rama, etc. for the last
    > 7 weeks.

    I'd start with getting this resolved, though.

    > licences. Upon reboot, the admin object is denied access to the server at
    > all.

    This could be any number of things, really. I'd have to see the situation
    to give any hard advice. It sounds as though perhaps the directory services
    database isn't opening. That should show as an error doing the server
    boot sequence.

    > And YES, I'm certainly no pro at Netware. Just a poor under-educated schmuck
    > given a chance to do the best I can. (And I came cheap, too)

    Well, you've got a good start in knowing what you don't know, and not
    being afraid to admit it. Cheap is rarely a good thing when it comes to
    computers, though.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Let whoever among you is without sin buy the first round. |

  3. Re: Lost Admin

    Thanks for the replies.
    The moniker is to protect my carcass.....I'm still dependent on this vendor.
    We just changed to them 6 months ago after a real bad experience with some
    genuine bozos. They are good guys who are trying their best. My choices are
    quite limited. (I'd be bent if someone with my lack of expertise was
    questioning the knowledge and judgement of a CNA or CNE.) I don't like to
    make waves, but I'll have to overcome that soon enough. It seems they aren't
    quite up to snuff on NW6, though.
    I believe you're right, I'll have to pony up for Novell support. I ordered
    some training books, and bought a few this weekend at B&N. No sense being a
    cheapskate......
    A long weekend with a pile of Novell documents lead me to the eventual fix
    of the NDS database. Knowing how it worked was unimportant. The login issue
    for admin and all 48 of our users is solved for the time being.
    Examining log files uncovered Btrieve errors which seem to have been solved
    by applying Pervasive and Novell service patches. I've unloaded NLM's and
    other non-critical software which appear to be unnecessary and am adding
    them back in one at a time. I believe once I can replicate the past errors,
    I'll have the culprit. I'd feel better if I find the problem, not just fix
    the issue.
    Thanks again for the replies.

    Nick

    GO HUSKIES.........

    wrote:
    > > I've been given the unenviable position of administering a NW6 SP3

    server
    > > without a much NW (or sysadmin) savvy.

    > [...tale of woe snipped...]
    >
    > Your best bet would probably be to swtich to a different vendor. One that
    > is familiar with the operating system shouldn't have to take too long to
    > straighten out this problem for you. Have the contract with the vendor
    > specify some admin training for yourself. A *good* vendor should already
    > be planning on including this, unless you're contracting with them to
    > provide systems administration.
    >
    > If you're interested in learning, the manuals are a pretty good place to
    > start. They're a bit boring after a while, but not too bad.
    >
    > > server and software from) never seemed to get the licensing installed
    > > correctly. We've had abends, btrieve errors, patch-o-rama, etc. for the

    last
    > > 7 weeks.

    > I'd start with getting this resolved, though.
    >
    > > licences. Upon reboot, the admin object is denied access to the server

    at
    > > all.

    > This could be any number of things, really. I'd have to see the situation
    > to give any hard advice. It sounds as though perhaps the directory

    services
    > database isn't opening. That should show as an error doing the server
    > boot sequence.
    >
    > > And YES, I'm certainly no pro at Netware. Just a poor under-educated

    schmuck
    > > given a chance to do the best I can. (And I came cheap, too)

    > Well, you've got a good start in knowing what you don't know, and not
    > being afraid to admit it. Cheap is rarely a good thing when it comes to
    > computers, though.
    >

    > --
    > | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu

    > | Let whoever among you is without sin buy the first round.

    > | Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores.

  4. Re: Lost Admin

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:57:18 -0500, Inspector wrote:
    > The moniker is to protect my carcass.....I'm still dependent on this vendor.

    > I'll have the culprit. I'd feel better if I find the problem, not just fix
    > the issue.

    Sounds like you're well on your way. Not only getting docs and books, but
    applying a logical approach to figuring out what the real problem is.
    Sounds good. Good luck with it.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Don't underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of mag tapes. |