Eudora and Netware 6 - Netware

This is a discussion on Eudora and Netware 6 - Netware ; We were running Netware 4.11 very happily for a number of years and finally upgraded straight to Netware 6 (sp2) late last year. In general the upgrade went well but since then we've had an odd problem with Eudora that ...

  1. Eudora and Netware 6

    We were running Netware 4.11 very happily for a number of years and
    finally upgraded straight to Netware 6 (sp2) late last year.

    In general the upgrade went well but since then we've had an odd
    problem with Eudora that I can only put down to the change in Netware.

    Sometimes the contents of some of our emails get completely blanked
    out.

    The emails are always received fine, but sometimes a user going back
    and
    checking an old email finds that on clicking on it they are presented
    with a totally blank screen.

    The table of contents file is always intact. However having a look at
    the mbx file revels that the email itself has been nulled out totally
    - and I mean the file is full of nulls, not a zero size file.

    When this behaviour occurs all emails from the start of an mbx
    file to some point will all be nulled, and subsequent emails are fine.

    I'm unsure whether the problem is triggered either by a new email
    being received or transferred to an mbx, or if mbx compaction is the
    cause - these
    being the two activities that I'd expect a write of some kind to an
    mbx file.

    We are using Netware 6 with sp2, Netshield 4.6.1 and Eudora 5.2.
    Problem has occured on both Win 98 and 2000 machines.

    I'm wondering if there is an odd known file access issue that may have
    been identified since Netware 6 was released that could be causing
    this? And perhaps its been fixed in sp3?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Eudora and Netware 6

    On 24 Jul 2003 21:17:48 -0700, David Komadina wrote:
    > We were running Netware 4.11 very happily for a number of years and
    > finally upgraded straight to Netware 6 (sp2) late last year.

    Are you using the NSS file system? If so, go to NW6SP3 and get the post-SP3
    update to NSS (NW6NSS3B.EXE, if I recall correctly), especially if you have
    compression enabled on the file system.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | There are no OS/2 viruses. Noone writes _anything_ for OS/2. |

  3. Re: Eudora and Netware 6

    David Gersic wrote in message news:...
    > On 24 Jul 2003 21:17:48 -0700, David Komadina wrote:
    > > We were running Netware 4.11 very happily for a number of years and
    > > finally upgraded straight to Netware 6 (sp2) late last year.

    > Are you using the NSS file system? If so, go to NW6SP3 and get the post-SP3
    > update to NSS (NW6NSS3B.EXE, if I recall correctly), especially if you have
    > compression enabled on the file system.

    Thanks for your reply.

    We've actually upgraded to sp3, without the post-sp3 update, and are
    seeing how that goes. Unfortunately we don't know how to force the
    problem to occur so we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

    If it occurs again we'll try the post-sp3.

    So far so good anyway.

  4. Re: Eudora and Netware 6

    On 29 Jul 2003 01:57:23 -0700, David Komadina wrote:
    > We've actually upgraded to sp3, without the post-sp3 update, and are
    > seeing how that goes.

    If you are using NSS and have compression enabled, you are about to lose
    all data on your file system.

    > Unfortunately we don't know how to force the
    > problem to occur so we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

    Make a text file. Flag it IC (Immediate Compress). Wait a couple of
    minutes.

    > So far so good anyway.

    Yes, until the "days untouched before compression" is reached.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | The ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays "Helter, Skelter." |

  5. Re: Eudora and Netware 6

    David Komadina wrote:
    > We are using Netware 6 with sp2, Netshield 4.6.1 and Eudora 5.2.
    > Problem has occured on both Win 98 and 2000 machines.

    For testing you could disable Netshield real-time scanner from the
    Netware server and see what happens. We had lots of problems with
    Netshield real-time scanner.

    -sk

  6. Re: Eudora and Netware 6

    In article , David Gersic
    writes
    >On 29 Jul 2003 01:57:23 -0700, David Komadina wrote:
    >> We've actually upgraded to sp3, without the post-sp3 update, and are
    >> seeing how that goes.

    >If you are using NSS and have compression enabled, you are about to lose
    >all data on your file system.

    Why? What will happen and what is the reason? I can't do your test with
    the text file as I don't (yet) have NW6, but it would be nice to be
    forewarned!
    --
    Nick

  7. Re: Eudora and Netware 6

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:00:58 +0100, Nick wrote:
    > In article , David Gersic
    > writes
    >>On 29 Jul 2003 01:57:23 -0700, David Komadina wrote:
    >>> We've actually upgraded to sp3, without the post-sp3 update, and are
    >>> seeing how that goes.

    >>If you are using NSS and have compression enabled, you are about to lose
    >>all data on your file system.

    > Why? What will happen and what is the reason?

    What will happen is that compression will kick in and corrupt the file.
    Why? It's a bug.

    > I can't do your test with
    > the text file as I don't (yet) have NW6, but it would be nice to be
    > forewarned!

    I don't know if this affects NW5.x servers with NSS, I do know it affects
    NW6 servers with NSS. Consider yourself forewarned.

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Let whoever among you is without sin buy the first round. |

  8. Re: Eudora and Netware 6

    On 31 Jul 2003 03:14:59 GMT, David Gersic wrote:

    > I don't know if this affects NW5.x servers with NSS, I do know it affects
    > NW6 servers with NSS. Consider yourself forewarned.

    In NW5.x, NSS doesn't support compression, so the matter's moot.

    --
    Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer_@_frayernet.com
    Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region.

+ Reply to Thread