Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help! - Netware

This is a discussion on Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help! - Netware ; Hi, Here's my problem - please feel free to laugh or offer suggestions! Our one and only company system support guy got laid off 2 weeks ago (long story), leaving me (basic support skills but no expert) running the show. ...

  1. Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    Hi,

    Here's my problem - please feel free to laugh or offer suggestions!

    Our one and only company system support guy got laid off 2 weeks ago (long
    story), leaving me (basic support skills but no expert) running the show.
    Anyway, we run Novell Netware 4.11 to allow about 10 people in one
    department to log into various databases. Until today that is. Now only 2
    max. can log in at a time, and the server says something about the license
    file maybe being damaged.

    Ok, so I read the documentation, found some license disks, and tried to add
    these licenses via the Install utility. Then I found out that the
    administrator username and password that our previous systems guy usually
    used for everything else don't work here. Someone rang him up, but either he
    genuinely doesn't know the right details or he's keeping them to himself (I
    might do the same myself, in his shoes).

    Meanwhile, 8 angry users started taking it in turns to ring me up and ask
    when they could go back in the system (at 10 minute intervals). Two
    companies I thought supported the system claim they actually don't, one guy
    who could come in and help can't because his dad is really ill, and another
    tech freelancer we sometimes use says he doesn't know anything about it, but
    is willing to come in and read the manuals. Great!

    Anyway, I've downloaded a file called BURGLAR.NLM which is supposed to let
    you add users with supervisor access. My plan for tomorrow is to try and run
    this to create a super login in my name. Then, I login with those details
    and find the bit where users and passwords are stored. Then it's just a
    matter of changing the ADMIN user password. Ta-daaa!

    My questions are:
    1. Is this going to work?
    2. Which utility do I run to view/edit the passwords, assuming it works up
    to there?

    and the tellingly basic...

    3. I think Login server/username from the console prompt is the way to login
    a) How do I establish my server name?
    b) Will it work like this or do I need to add some of that context stuff
    after?

    Any suggestions, comments, offers of other employment gratefully received.

    D.Jones
    ~~~~~~~~

  2. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or mean, but I thought your post was one
    of the funniest post I've read in a long time.. It's what you get when
    the management is too cheap to hire a needed extra hand. It's sort of
    mirrors my situation. I've got 50 whining users to take care of, doing
    everything from networking to hardware to programming. One of these
    days, I'll quit and take my passwords with me, just to make a point..

    DJ wrote:
    > Not far off - St Annes, Lancashire
    >
    > D.J
    >
    > "Nick" wrote in message
    >
    >>In article , DJ
    >> writes
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Here's my problem - please feel free to laugh or offer suggestions!

    >>Where abouts in the UK are you? Merseyside area by any chance?
    >>--
    >>Nick

  3. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:04:51 +0000 (UTC), "DJ"
    wrote:

    >Any suggestions, comments, offers of other employment gratefully received.

    Suggest you get someone in to do a day's consultancy in sorting out
    the licensing issue and to train you up in basic system admin.

    regards
    Marcus

  4. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    In article ,
    marcus@myrealbox.com writes

    >On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:04:51 +0000 (UTC), "DJ"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Any suggestions, comments, offers of other employment gratefully received.

    >Suggest you get someone in to do a day's consultancy in sorting out
    >the licensing issue and to train you up in basic system admin.

    That's exactly why I was asking him where he was!

    If you want to email me a list of issues I might be able to resolve some
    by email, but I could take a day off work and pay you a visit if you
    were interested - I would definitely be cheaper than a NetWare
    consultant hired through a support company or agency! (email address in
    sig).

    Regards,

    Nick (CNE 3.x/4.x/5.x with 6 pending)
    Nick at noslow.org.uk

  5. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    It's not easy, especially when it's just yourself. My main job is web
    design, the tech support bit was offered to me as part-time but so far it's
    been more like 90% time. There's 80 people in the building all with
    different flavours of Mac or PC, and shedloads of peripherals in various
    stages of decay. We have 2 networks cobbled together via a patchbox that
    looks like a plate of spaghetti. Also there are about 8 different kinds of
    database on the go (none of which I've had any experience on).

    Perversely, I'm enjoying it.

    DJ

    http://www.homeinvaders.co.uk
    http://www.defendthedunes.org.uk
    "Caveat" wrote in message
    > Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or mean, but I thought your post was one
    > of the funniest post I've read in a long time.. It's what you get when
    > the management is too cheap to hire a needed extra hand. It's sort of
    > mirrors my situation. I've got 50 whining users to take care of, doing
    > everything from networking to hardware to programming. One of these
    > days, I'll quit and take my passwords with me, just to make a point..
    >

    > DJ wrote:
    > > Not far off - St Annes, Lancashire
    > >
    > > D.J
    > >
    > > "Nick" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>In article , DJ
    > >> writes

    > >>Where abouts in the UK are you? Merseyside area by any chance?
    > >>--
    > >>Nick

  6. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:17:23 +0000 (UTC), "DJ"
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the offer Nick but it got resolved. I did the burglar thing but
    >still couldn't get in.

    Is this "burglar thing" some publically available
    information/software? Didn't see anything else about it in the
    thread.

    --
    TonyL

  7. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:44:19 GMT, intothebin@hotmail.com (Tony Lewis)
    typed with two fingers, :

    >On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:17:23 +0000 (UTC), "DJ"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for the offer Nick but it got resolved. I did the burglar thing but
    >>still couldn't get in.

    >Is this "burglar thing" some publically available
    >information/software? Didn't see anything else about it in the
    >thread.
    >

    >--
    >TonyL

    Burglar NLM has been around for quite some time. Almost as long as
    failing memories!

  8. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:16:10 GMT, johnswrNO@SPAMatt.net (William
    Johnson) wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:44:19 GMT, intothebin@hotmail.com (Tony Lewis)
    >typed with two fingers, :
    >
    >>On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:17:23 +0000 (UTC), "DJ"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks for the offer Nick but it got resolved. I did the burglar thing but
    >>>still couldn't get in.

    >>Is this "burglar thing" some publically available
    >>information/software? Didn't see anything else about it in the
    >>thread.

    >>--
    >>TonyL

    >Burglar NLM has been around for quite some time. Almost as long as
    >failing memories!

    I've been doing Novell since before NLM's Fortunately never forgot
    a supervisor password hence my ignorance. However, it was
    disconcerting to see how many "hacking tools" there are for Netware.

    --
    TonyL

  9. Re: Beginner with a netware 4.11 headache - help!

    > Are the macs the little tiny ones from the really early 90's? If so, are
    > you chucking them out? I've always wanted to have a play with one of
    > those and it would be handy at college as we keep some old machines to
    > show the students how things have progressed!

    Well, we've got a load of those thin ones with no CD drive. Think they're
    LCIIs (?)
    There may be some older ones too, not sure. The guys in the services
    department moved them all into the stores while we get our act together and
    decide what to do with them. In the past the company offered old equipment
    to staff for sale, but now that most of the people here seem to be taking
    the plunge with brand new PCs I don't think the crumbling old macs would
    exactly be snapped up. Probably give it a try anyway.

    We found a load of really old software and manuals too. Mostly not in great
    condition though, so I doubt it'd be worth trying to sound out vintage
    computer dealers.

    Any ideas what to do with 2 dozen really old or broken printers? Some kind
    of art installation maybe?

    DJ

+ Reply to Thread